Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2016, 12:16 am

I don't do religion, but I always thought sermons were lessons from a religious text or notable person of that religion, not politics and off topic speeches about junk science.

tick
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2016, 1:11 pm

It's the UU church. Sermons can be about absolutely anything. The first time I ever attended the sermon was about abortion rights, followed by a petition signing. My partner remembers hearing science lectures by various scientist when he first attended a UU church. Human rights makes sense for a topic but not junk science and certainly not junk science that supports bigoted views. If the UU church is so misinformed then how misinformed is the rest of the country? It's a scary thought.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 6:39 pm

tick wrote:
"Well, I have a theory about that mysterious discrepancy between being the fittest to survive and respecting the rights of others. According to this theory, concern for human rights is made possible through a very sophisticated expanding of the scope of the human brain. This kind of enhancement does not occur in many animals. It is true that it does occur in the chimpanzee’s brain as well as in the human brain, but to a much less advanced stage of development.
Some scientists call this capability in humans, "social intelligence." Among other things, it has a
survival value, because it enables humans to live in peace with more of their fellow human
beings. And it does occurs to some degree in almost everybody.
However, scientists have drawn on some of the few people in whom it does not occur, in order to demonstrate its existence in all the others Simon Baron-Cohen, a psychologist at Cambridge University, demonstrated this by studying a group of people afflicted with the ailment known as "autism."

Sample letter of response:

Dear Minister,
In response to your sermon regarding social intelligence last Sunday, I would like to express my concern at your belief that autistic people do not share in social intelligence. I am autistic and I could not help but feel that your sermon left me feeling that I am not welcome at this church. I urge you to familiarize yourself with some of the criticism of Baron-Cohen's argument.
I am unsure how to proceed with regard to attending future services and would appreciate your advice.
Sincerely,

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 11:28 am

I like what Androbot wrote.

Tick, I think it's great that you are doing this. I bet this particular speaker never makes this mistake again.

tick

16 Dec 2016, 1:19 pm

Androbot : That is a wonderful, concise letter. Wish I had seen it before I spent a week writing 4 paragraphs and mailing it.
BeaArthur : Thanks, I'm glad I am doing this, too. I found out the woman who read the sermon is a high-school teacher. No autistic student should have to deal with a teacher so uninformed, school is hard enough.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 1:49 pm

And people wonder why so many of us are not religious. :x

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2016, 12:31 pm

tick wrote:
It's the UU church. Sermons can be about absolutely anything. The first time I ever attended the sermon was about abortion rights, followed by a petition signing. My partner remembers hearing science lectures by various scientist when he first attended a UU church. Human rights makes sense for a topic but not junk science and certainly not junk science that supports bigoted views. If the UU church is so misinformed then how misinformed is the rest of the country? It's a scary thought.
(looked up UU church) interesting, agree about the bigoted stuff. Doesn't matter what religion you are, that's just wrong.