Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2017, 3:35 am

First Year Advanced Farrier Student at age 34

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:19 pm

When I started college, I wanted to major in a STEM subject, because I imagined it suited my (then undiagnosed) autism symptoms better. The other STEM subjects sounded too academically difficult, so I majored in Structural Engineering. Fifth (5th) year, winter quarter, flunked out of the Jacobs School of Engineering. School let me major in something else. But there was a 200 unit limit. So not many choices.

Majored in Cognitive Science. Got a 2.1 GPA. (2.0 minimum). Felt totally ashamed of not majoring in STEM.

Later got an Associates in Accounting. And that was much easier.

Running out of ideas. Running out of options. Running out of things to do.

The few jobs I had were minimum wage, and got fired quickly.

Considering Job Corps, military, grad school, Peace Corps, Americorps.

But Job Corps has a 24 year old age limit. It says they take older applicants with qualifying disabilities, but it also sound like I am too academically educated to go.

The military sounds meaningful, but afraid of getting raped. Especially when living on base. In civilian jobs (or at least the ones I worked at), only interacted with coworkers, while on duty, and while doing work tasks. Likewise, paranoid that I would fail to cope with the physical training, get hazed (autism attracts bullying). And get sleep deprived. And locked into 4 year enlistment.

Grad school costs a lot of money. And I am not particularly good at any school subject. And the job market is worse than it used to be. And I am not good at maintaining jobs or social interactions or going to school.

The Peace Corps and Americorps are volunteer jobs with stipends. They only last for about 1 or 2 years. Then it's over. And they do not accept everyone anyway. Just do not feel like I could handle it emotionally.

Quite frankly, there is something wrong with everything. There is not something right with everything.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2017, 1:49 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
When I started college, I wanted to major in a STEM subject, because I imagined it suited my (then undiagnosed) autism symptoms better. The other STEM subjects sounded too academically difficult, so I majored in Structural Engineering. Fifth (5th) year, winter quarter, flunked out of the Jacobs School of Engineering. School let me major in something else. But there was a 200 unit limit. So not many choices.

Majored in Cognitive Science. Got a 2.1 GPA. (2.0 minimum). Felt totally ashamed of not majoring in STEM.

Later got an Associates in Accounting. And that was much easier.

Running out of ideas. Running out of options. Running out of things to do.

The few jobs I had were minimum wage, and got fired quickly.

Considering Job Corps, military, grad school, Peace Corps, Americorps.

But Job Corps has a 24 year old age limit. It says they take older applicants with qualifying disabilities, but it also sound like I am too academically educated to go.

The military sounds meaningful, but afraid of getting raped. Especially when living on base. In civilian jobs (or at least the ones I worked at), only interacted with coworkers, while on duty, and while doing work tasks. Likewise, paranoid that I would fail to cope with the physical training, get hazed (autism attracts bullying). And get sleep deprived. And locked into 4 year enlistment.

Grad school costs a lot of money. And I am not particularly good at any school subject. And the job market is worse than it used to be. And I am not good at maintaining jobs or social interactions or going to school.

The Peace Corps and Americorps are volunteer jobs with stipends. They only last for about 1 or 2 years. Then it's over. And they do not accept everyone anyway. Just do not feel like I could handle it emotionally.

Quite frankly, there is something wrong with everything. There is not something right with everything.

I'm 16 and a junior in high school and considering majoring in cognitive science or computational linguistics or just straight computer science and I want to minor in disability studies. If you don't mind, what did you find particularly difficult about your cognitive science major?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 1:58 pm

pre veterinary/biology

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:48 am

Liberal Arts/General Studies with a Psychology and English concentration

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2017, 8:21 pm

Currently? Bachelor of Science in Applied Business Analytics. When I graduated high school I was in the Aeronautical Science program at Embry-Riddle to become a pilot, but I hated dorm life and it was expensive. I moved around a lot, went to community college and got my Associates Degree, then I went back to 4 year as Pre-Med. I quit that after a semester and a half, and now I'm here. Hopefully I can stick it out until December when I'm scheduled to graduate :D

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Paradoxical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2017, 4:50 pm

Currently a 3rd year college student getting a Bachelor's in Accounting.

Karmorda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2017, 5:30 pm

I graduated last year with a B.A. in history and minors in both political science and humanities. I wish I had double majored in sociology and history. Oh well. Hoping to go on to get my masters in history and if that works out a PhD.

Anonymoussun02
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2017, 7:18 pm

My college major would be Geographic Information Science & Technology or GIST for short. I do plan on minoring in both Geography, and Sociology.

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2017, 7:36 pm

Chemistry major with a double minor in Spanish and Materials Science & Engineering.

Buffaloni
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2017, 11:30 pm

I started out as a Psych major, but am now on the pre-med track pursuing a degree in Cell and Molecular Biology with a minor in Psych.