Why don't we get a notification when someone quotes us?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2016, 3:08 pm

Is there a special reason?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Dec 2016, 10:16 pm

Not part of the forum software

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 10:31 pm

How hard would it be to add this feature (as if I don't already know, considering how sh!tty the current package stands.)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 2:55 am

It doesn't strike me as particularly feasible, as the quote tag allows you to "quote" whoever you like, member or not. For example:

Barack Obama wrote:
That idea wouldn't work at all.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2016, 4:06 pm

Thank you for answering!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 4:27 pm

I asked this question when I first came here. I agree it would be nice, but it may not be possible.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2017, 1:21 pm

TheAP wrote:
I asked this question when I first came here. I agree it would be nice, but it may not be possible.

Agreed.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2017, 2:51 pm

W91T wrote:
TheAP wrote:

Agreed.

As an IT person, I know it is definitely possible... I also vote to add this feature.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2017, 5:46 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
W91T wrote:
TheAP wrote:

Agreed.

As an IT person, I know it is definitely possible... I also vote to add this feature.

I hope so

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2017, 7:54 pm

This type of feature looks simple, till you try to implement it, then all sorts of issues arise.
You can't rely on "the quote button has been clicked", the poster may change their mind and edit the quote out before posting. Or type the quote manually.
That leaves you parsing every post for quote tags, and on finding them, parsing the quote tags for member IDs, possibly doable, but not that simple.
Then you have to decide how to handle nested quotes, notify the first? All persons quoted? How many levels?

Then after you've crafted these custom changes to the board's php, you have to check that every security update the upstream maintainers issue doesn't break your custom feature. Such updates happen quite often.

I suspect the answer boils down to:

Hypothetical Board Maintainer wrote:
It's too much hassle to do well for a non vital function.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2017, 8:15 pm

FeardyBase wrote:
This type of feature looks simple, till you try to implement it, then all sorts of issues arise.
You can't rely on "the quote button has been clicked", the poster may change their mind and edit the quote out before posting. Or type the quote manually.
That leaves you parsing every post for quote tags, and on finding them, parsing the quote tags for member IDs, possibly doable, but not that simple.
Then you have to decide how to handle nested quotes, notify the first? All persons quoted? How many levels?

Then after you've crafted these custom changes to the board's php, you have to check that every security update the upstream maintainers issue doesn't break your custom feature. Such updates happen quite often.

I suspect the answer boils down to:
Hypothetical Board Maintainer wrote:
It's too much hassle to do well for a non vital function.

Oh, ok. I think I understand, thank you