Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 3:37 am

Reading Pullman's His Dark Materials series again at the moment, northern lights is an exemplary book, has just the right balance of ingredients, I do feel he can supply much more detail in places because whenever he chooses to expand I am spellbound by the way he presents his vision and get frustrated when he neglects to share the images in his head as he holds them.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 8:16 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
something to do with dark elves in vast underground cave, and one who leaves and a bunch of stuff that happens after that.

Are you talking about The Legend of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

So far, the only Brandon Sanderson book I've read is "Alloy of Law". Which is set in the "Mistborn" world but not really epic fantasy at all- more a superhero-noir detective story, like something from very early Batman comics. I like that he's let his world evolve, instead of trapping it in the usual pertual Early Middle Ages.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 3:55 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
So far, the only Brandon Sanderson book I've read is "Alloy of Law". Which is set in the "Mistborn" world but not really epic fantasy at all- more a superhero-noir detective story, like something from very early Batman comics. I like that he's let his world evolve, instead of trapping it in the usual pertual Early Middle Ages.

It's called the cosmere universe and all but many one or two of his books are set in the same world.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 4:33 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
So far, the only Brandon Sanderson book I've read is "Alloy of Law".

Don't know why you started with that one. That's a sequel trilogy to his original Mistborn trilogy (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages). The new ones are still good, but the originals are way, way better.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:06 pm

I think my answer is obvious lol.

Though I've never been able to finish the very last book. I've tried 2 times now. I think I've gotten too old, or the last book is just awful. The time travel aspect really irritated me.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:25 am

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C Wrede
The wolves of Beyond by Kathryn Lasky
Everworld by K A Applegate
Wolf Springs Chronicles by Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguié
Minerva wakes by Holly Lisle
Kaoshjerte by Lise Forfang Grimnes
Narnia
Harry Potter
The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris d'Lacey
Jim C Hines’ books about the goblin Jig
I suppose My brother the werewolf and my sister the vampire counts as (YA) urban fantasy as well.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 11:44 am

Quote:

That's one of my favourites! I like Morwen and her cats best. :mrgreen:
I haven't heard of any of the others besides Narnia and Harry Potter. Any recommendations?

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 4:51 pm

There's a series of kids books I'm still pretty fond of. Own all five of them but have never read the last one. Maybe I should get around to that.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

I’m still only reading the first book, but so far I’m really enjoying Dorothy Hearst’s “Promise of the wolves”, so I'm adding at least book 1 to this list.

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Quote:

That's one of my favourites! I like Morwen and her cats best. :mrgreen:
I haven't heard of any of the others besides Narnia and Harry Potter. Any recommendations?

Hmm… Well, we do have some difference in tastes, so I’m not sure what you would like better among those I mentioned.

The wolves of Beyond follows a wolf pup that is cast out from his pack due to a deformed paw (their laws are strict). He is a special wolf whose task it is to save the wolves.
My brother the werewolf and My sister the vampire are really girly books that would not normally be my taste, but the part about a supernatural twin made them irresistible.
The last dragon chronicles is about live clay dragons.
Everworld is about 5 teens who enters another world, one of magic where myths are real.

All of the above are YA books, which doesn’t bother me at all, but may not be for everyone above that age. If you’re okay with YA, you might like The wolves of beyond and the last dragon.

Wolf Springs is about a girl who has to move to her grandfather following her mother’s death, and she encounters werewolves and discover some family secrets.
Minerva wakes is a standalone novel about a mother trapped in another dimension, who along with her husband have to find their kidnapped kids, with the help of a small dragon. I found it a fun read.
Apparently some people are turned off by some cursing in the book
Jig the goblins is also a fun read, I think.

By the way, my favorite in Enchanted forest chronicles is Cimorene. I liked that she wouldn't let the king dictate what a princess is like and that she chose the dragon instead and got along with the dragon.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765