Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 8:54 pm

I am in HS, I have one honors class and I am understanding all the material perfectly. But my 2 issues (which are ever present in everything I do) Motivation and Organization have come to ra** my ***. I hate it! I am lost, my counselor isn't helpful at all because it seems like he doesn't care, and I don't even know how to start most assignments. I'm use to anger from teachers who think I misread instructions even though I do them EXACTLY. I'm sick of this. I just want to live my life happily but I'm incapable of doing that when more energy is spent on working and organizing than actual thinking! I have things that make me happy but they will not make me any money after High school so I'm tempted to go for a higher level career as I need to support myself but I am not sure, knowing my level of motivation and organization, I can keep up with them. I want to be a scientist, doctor, vet, zoologist (my interest is in writing but I don't want to be a writing), and even though I have a slight interest in these I don't think I can study them every day for the rest of my life under these conditions. I feel like certain conditions have to be met for me to work successfully and I Just can't seem to do those. Help!

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2016, 2:38 am

I can relate to the motivation and organisation issues. I think the important thing to do is identify what's causing these and then implement appropriate strategies. Have you considered working with a psychologist as they may be able to help you identify what's going on?

You're not completely screwed but this is something you want to tackle sooner rather than later. It's perfectly doable however :)

There are plenty of online resources to search through and you can see if you can find a method that works for you.

GMUnicorns
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2016, 1:35 am

As NikNak said, psychologist & online resources. Both will give you at least a few ideas to look at for a solution. Lists, alarms, clocks, diaries, colour-coded sticky notes, binders, sometimes these can help with organisation problems.

I have the same issues and I am also still at HS. Teachers and counselors can be very unempathetic when it comes to students who work outside the boxes they classify kids in ("trouble-maker", "smart one", "special needs"). You seem to be like me: I have done some Uni papers this year and realised very quickly that I work better when stimulated under a different system with new information. Unfortunately that information didn't really help me, and won't help you. Sometimes I've found having someone help kick-start assignments works, just to get the brain rolling.

Sometimes knowing exactly what your goal is can help. If you can and haven't already, try careers resources. They can help you really see which jobs you'll click with. Why don't you want to be a writer? What sort of writing? Is Journalism an option? Can you write for magazines & webzines? Are there science camps or programs you can try? Are they trying to get more people into the medical profession where you live? Do you know any people in the jobs you're interested in who you can shadow for a day?

Hope this helps.