Have most aspies dreamed of getting into show business?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2016, 4:52 pm

Of all the life stories I have heard of people with Asperger's, most people with Asperger's have said that they wanted to be an actor. I have had this dream myself before I was diagnosed. I am actually friends with Lily Tomlin. She is a famous actress and comedian. She has starred in a number of movies and tv shows. I have also met other people in show business. I always thought that it would be fun to be an actor or work in Hollywood. Due to my poor social skills, I know that it will never happen. Knowing someone in show business is the closest I will get.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 5:54 pm

Can't say that I have. I have always wanted to be a writer, never an actor.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2016, 6:39 pm

If anything, I wouldn't mind being a writer or doing other stuff behind the scenes. I've done amateur acting stuff, but as far as becoming famous, it's not my thing as I like having privacy even when I'm just running errands.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 10:13 pm

I've always dreamed of working in show business, ever since I was a little kid. Mostly I dreamt of being an actor (I've been in a few shorts and music videos since), a screenwriter (I've written three unproduced screenplays since) and/or a director (I've directed a music video since).

Funnily enough, the biggest headway I ever made in "the biz" was landing a job working in special effects. I've worked on a few "big-budget" ($100,000-$500,000 horror films) flicks through a special effects workshop in Hollywood. Ideally, I'd still like to pursue acting and filmmaking, but special effects is a pretty neat job, especially for an Aspie.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 10:42 pm

Radio work - writing and voice acting - check

Editing back in the day of reel to reel - a real pain that I passed on.

8)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 6:32 pm

thewrll wrote:

Same here. I still want to be a writer, not an actor. Perhaps we can help each other if you want through PM?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 11:22 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Same here. I still want to be a writer, not an actor. Perhaps we can help each other if you want through PM?

I will be start working on the outline of my novel at the start of the year.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 5:56 pm

thewrll wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
thewrll wrote:

I will be start working on the outline of my novel at the start of the year.

Looking forward to reading it.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 9:34 pm

Personally, I feel the idea of celebrity is repulsive. This is not meant as a slight to those that do like the idea of celebrity. Just not my cup of tea, it would be a frightening thing for me I think.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 4:41 pm

It is not about celebrity for me.

It is connection.
It is also a business.
My connection on stage is much tighter than my business skills.

I have enjoyed sharing at a homeless shelters, as much as appearing at a stadium gig. (Maybe more-the later one was followed by pneumonia) 8)

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 6:10 pm

I can respect that, as they say to each their own. Personally the idea of strangers wanting to talk to me or being around large crowds is a personal nightmare. You must be a bit of an extrovert, I am an introvert and don't like being around humans.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 6:18 pm

My wife says I become someone else on stage.

Other folks have made that analogy. An example is me sitting at a table with strangers prior to being the after dinner entertainment. Quips like "we had no idea," are often heard.
Others have said I'm an extrovert with an inferiority complex.
40 years ago, I started literally behind the curtain or microphone,(radio)
8)

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 10:31 pm

Of course. Are you kidding? I would pursue it as possible if it wasn't for my limited situation right now.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 2:15 pm

I have always wanted to be an extra in a film, or have a very small part in a musical or play. I wouldn't be able to cope with a major role. Wouldn't be good enough, either.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 8:20 pm

Nope. Just not a thing I ever really desired. I probably could, though. I do live where a LOT of filming takes place and their are countless people registered as extras. Also, someone last Summer asked me if I ever did any acting because I have a "look" that he thinks could get cast. Still no desire. Heck, my cousin is a PA and works on movies all-the-time and I've never inquired about how to get on screen. Just not a thing for me. As close as it will likely ever get is the singer/actor/entertainer I've been dating recently. :P But, you never know.. never say never kind of thing. I can't say for sure I'd never ever do it, I just don't have any particular desire to.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

When I was younger, definitely. I was obsessed with drama and music. My current job involves acting as it happens, but it isn't show business! :P