Have most aspies dreamed of getting into show business?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

LoveStories
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm

Alita wrote:
I know what you mean, LoveStories. I'm going through a lot of the same.

The cost of living has gone up so much recently that I'm surprised people are actually pulling through. I never fail to be amazed at the strength of the human spirit.

When things get tough for me, I just remind myself of how many people fail to achieve their goals every year. That motivates me much more than thinking about the ones who achieve their goals and make breakthroughs. I think because it puts the numbers in perspective and stops me from becoming complacent.

Yes, and I’m afraid that the costs will rise more and more, so it won’t get easier.
You are right, the human spirit is fascinating (though, since I’m prone to depression, my own spirit is rather weak, so I can’t count myself among that).

Well, right now I’m looking at the high number of people who don’t succeed in their training for this kind of job rather often. Especially if I feel like a failure again and had a very bad day. It’s kind of comforting to know that there have been (and still are) many people with the same problem right now and if I should really fail in the end, at least I’m not the only one (the drop-out rate is around 20-30%). Though, of course it doesn’t help me with my actual problem. If I fail (or get too sick to continue – which is probably the same), I still don’t know what to do, because everything that would fit with my abilities and interests still requires me to either go to university again or have an apprenticeship where I don’t earn money but actually have to pay ten thousands of euros to visit the schools that are needed for it.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm

Well, I've already invested the money in a BA in Theatre Arts, so I'm getting into show business either way.

As my username suggests, I do enjoy acting. Though if there is one thing that my professors have stressed on me, it is that you have to be versatile in this field. So along with acting, I also enjoy writing. I am currently working on a one person play about my life as an aspie, and a fiction novel. I am also more than capable building sets in the scene shop. I also have some experience with directing, light design, and costume design.

If I had to answer the question why I want to be an actor, I'd answer with that it is something a lot of people don't think autistic's can do, and I want to show them that we are capable of whatever it is we want to do. Acting and theatre have also done far more for me in the social skills department than any therapy session ever did for me.

It is not an easy path for anyone, and especially so for me as an aspie, but I know I can do it.