Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

peopleusedtospitatme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2016, 8:50 pm

i recently fear i may have lost money and stock i cherished due to being naive.

how can i be less naive?

is it an autistic trait?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 9:58 pm

How to be less naive, by reading about other peoples experiences. Any situation you want to put yourself in, do research about it first like if you want to buy a new car, do research on it so you learn the red flags and what to look for and how to inspect new cars when you do a test drive and when you go looking at them. Wish to buy a car from a consumer, do research on that so you learn how to avoid getting ripped off.

Also never trust strangers and overly friendly people and people who don't take no for an answer. Do not assume they could just be socially awkward and disabled and don't know what they are doing. No room for that. Safety comes first.

Also you learn from personal experience but I read the reason why autistic people don't learn from this is because of their inability to generalize because every situation is different while to most people it's the same. I had a tougher time generalizing when I was a kid so I would make the same mistakes again and again and needed to be told than expected to know.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm

I dunno, but I used to be very, very naive (in the way that I would trust too much and be surprised when people weren't as nice as they should ideally be) and I feel like the reason that changed is that I simply burned myself one too many times. Eventually you sort of lose that child-like innocence and, in my case, end up on the other extreme, with severe trust issues and a near-paranoid fear that everyone will reject and hurt you given the chance.

TheArronaut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2016, 11:19 pm

The only answer I've ever found is to be skeptical of everything. If it requires time and/or funds from you, double down.

Official Diagnosis: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1, without accompanying intellectual impairment. Specific Learning Disorder, With Impairment in Mathematics (Dyscalculia)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:16 am

One autistic trait is to not naturally understand the motivations of others. Be we can learn from readings threads like this and from bad experiences.

If they start asking for personal information that is not relevant especially early in the conversation get rid of them.

Examples:
If they are not doctors and they ask about your medical information.
If they are not your partner and they ask about your sexual history.
If you are not ordering something and they are not a person close to you, and they ask where you live.

If seems too good to be true it probably is.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:35 am

xDominiel wrote:
I dunno, but I used to be very, very naive (in the way that I would trust too much and be surprised when people weren't as nice as they should ideally be) and I feel like the reason that changed is that I simply burned myself one too many times. Eventually you sort of lose that child-like innocence and, in my case, end up on the other extreme, with severe trust issues and a near-paranoid fear that everyone will reject and hurt you given the chance.

^Me

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 4:32 am

TheArronaut wrote:
The only answer I've ever found is to be skeptical of everything. If it requires time and/or funds from you, double down.

+1 though this can be really hard to do. It's much easier and more comfortable (for me) to just provide some bit of info or a "yes" to some seemingly simple request, but too often that's not in your best interest. It may be easier to say "let me get back to you on that" (as opposed to a flat out "no") to give yourself some time to think through the potential problems that could arise.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2016, 7:37 am

Hmmmnnn...how did you even get all those money and stocks in the first place....I don't think you're naive someone just got the better of you... :D

peopleusedtospitatme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2016, 11:14 am

neurotypicalET wrote:
Hmmmnnn...how did you even get all those money and stocks in the first place....I don't think you're naive someone just got the better of you... :D

i got them at auctions

TheArronaut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2016, 1:54 pm

Exuvian wrote:
TheArronaut wrote:

+1 though this can be really hard to do. It's much easier and more comfortable (for me) to just provide some bit of info or a "yes" to some seemingly simple request, but too often that's not in your best interest. It may be easier to say "let me get back to you on that" (as opposed to a flat out "no") to give yourself some time to think through the potential problems that could arise.

That is excellent advice^^^

Official Diagnosis: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1, without accompanying intellectual impairment. Specific Learning Disorder, With Impairment in Mathematics (Dyscalculia)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:10 pm

peopleusedtospitatme wrote:

how can i be less naive?

is it an autistic trait?

is it you that is naive
or is it that the world is too adulterous?
and yes, naivity is a well known autistic trait.
Be like child (matthew 18:3)...
(btw i am not particularly religious just naivety of autism reminds me of this bible quote)

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2016, 3:01 pm

I think you should go and find the long stand dude, it'll tell you how to be skeptical of others intentions.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2016, 3:55 pm

hellhole wrote:
I think you should go and find the long stand dude, it'll tell you how to be skeptical of others intentions.
dude... its no longer covert when you tell people about it... :lol:

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2016, 4:33 pm

To me being naive is a result of living a sheltered life...which means you've never been exposed to people who would take advantage of you...like xdoneniel stated if you get burned to many times you tend to go the extreme opposite route....