Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 2:19 pm

I'm extremely empathic, so when someone touches me, I often inadvertently absorb their emotions or thoughts or energy at that moment, and sometimes it makes me overwhelmed. I do like giving hugs and cuddling, though.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2016, 5:30 am

Yes! I got into so many fights when I was young over people touching me - they thought it was funny as they knew they could get a reaction out of me. An evil uncle discovered the same thing and used to hold me down and tickle me until I couldn't breathe, which gave me nightmares for the next 30 years. And then there are those people who feel they need to touch you when the talk to you - why! Recently, there was someone who kept touching my arm when he spoke to me. I kept backing away and increasing my personal space but he would move towards me and do it again. I ended up shouting at him "Please stop touching me, I don't like it!". And they say that we're the insensitive ones?

I'm fine with being touched by my wife and children but still don't really enjoy being hugged.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2016, 12:29 pm

For me, it depends on the level of intimacy I have with the person involved with the touch. A stranger with whom I have no intimacy, a hand shake is about the most touching I will allow, if that. An acquaintance I will have no problem with a handshake, maybe a hug, but doubtful. A friend can get a hug, but that's about it. Family members, get even a little more touching permission, but I still avoid touch with them. I will allow complete freedom of touch from someone that I am bedroom intimate with, but there has only been one person in my life that I gave that much freedom to, and I am divorced from her now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Dec 2016, 3:41 am

I'm anti affection with anyone except my girlfriend who I love it from.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 10:34 am

I wish people knew that patting people on the head is inappropriate and demeaning. We aren't dogs or small children.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Dec 2016, 8:19 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I wish people knew that patting people on the head is inappropriate and demeaning. We aren't dogs or small children.
My girlfriend's on the spectrum & likes it. I don't mind it from her but I only want it from her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Monkee100
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2016, 8:23 pm

I cant stand being touched, ever since i was a kid. I dont even like for my husband to hug me. I cant stand for anything to brush my wrists or sternum or I flip out (i cant stand to expose my wrists or look at them either). If other people try to hug me I will usually turn to my side and do a "side hug" with one arm...still very uncomfortable but a little better. The idea of touching torsos face on is so incredibly violating to me. I do like hugging and cuddling my dogs though, probably to excess even.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm

It doesn't really bother me that much if it's someone I know, but if it's really soft touching it irritates me. I can still feel that awful sensation on my skin even when I'm no longer being touched. It not just with people, but inanimate objects too. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as when I was little though because I can wear loose clothes now without it bothering me when it did before.

LauraAnn1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2016, 6:21 am

No touching if I do not know you really well or trust you a lot. I have a really hard time when I am touched without warning both internally and externally. I know my issues are not other people issues, so I try to not make a big deal about it in my head if possible, just try to go to my happy place in my brain to cope until I feel better. I am a teacher and the sensation of skin contact from kids wanting a hug, as children need, makes my skin almost to the point of being painful.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

I don't like being touched unless I initiate or am mentally prepared for it. Just another autistic trait I exhibited as a kid(and still do), I would lash out if someone tried to touch me on the nose, on my shoulder, anywhere or tried to hug or kiss me. I remember as a young child how awful it would feel and how much I would squirm when my mother trimmed my toenails.

My reaction was instinctive, I didn't know why I responded that way(until my autism diagnosis), I knew that it wasn't normal, that others didn't react in the same way as I had, but I still felt helpless to change my reaction and aversion to touch.

TheArronaut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2016, 5:52 pm

I don't mind touching per se, but I have a lot of rules about it. I don't like touching strangers - I'll shake their hands and tolerate the uneasy feeling it gives me, but that's all. Friends and family can touch me, but they can't surprise me with it. Generally just their body language is enough warning for me to prepare myself. They also can't be too rough with me, like 100% of the time I'm getting a pat on the back it feels like I'm being hit. I can't get my mom to understand that one which is HILARIOUS, seeing as she has fibromyalgia, and even light contact can cause HER pain. :/

Official Diagnosis: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1, without accompanying intellectual impairment. Specific Learning Disorder, With Impairment in Mathematics (Dyscalculia)

OuterSpaceBoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2016, 6:09 pm

I don't like being touched unexpectedly, it feels like an electric shock going through my body. It is okay when I expect being touched, like exchanging hugs with someone - but it's absolutely crucial that I have to be mentally prepared and aware of it, otherwise I get very upset.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2016, 1:58 pm

I don't like to be touched, except if my son needs a hug - I'll always hug him whenever he wants.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Windstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2016, 6:57 pm

I definitely don't like being touched. It feels like the person is absorbing something from me. I tend to cringe and feel the need to increase space between the person - like my personal bubble expanded twice the normal size. I've got by with family by doing fist-bumps instead of hugs for hellos/goodbyes. Just a quick contact and done. Shaking hands is really uncomfortable. If someone forces a hug on me then either a) I don't hug back or b) I put a hovering arm behind them fake-hugging without touching.

Snowcone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2016, 7:13 pm

Nobody would like if a stranger comes and suddenly touches you in a way which is outside the norm. However if it occurs to me in a socially acceptable way I don't mind at all.