Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2016, 7:25 pm

For me, there's the World Of Nothing in Super Paper Mario.

Now I can never look at solid-whiteness the same way again.

The downright-Lovecraftian music doesn't help, either.

Last edited by AlanSmithee on 13 Dec 2016, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 7:31 pm

Kabutops skeleton Missingno. That gave me full blown NIGHTMARES. I'm just glad I didn't encounter it in game first time around.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 6:02 am

The first time I booted up DOOM on my laptop, praying to every deity ever worshipped it wouldn't crash.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 7:14 am

Probs when I was a kid

They still genuinely freak me out. More so the scream though.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2016, 4:41 pm

I'm not scared by much anymore in games or movies. Games do it for me far more, since you're taking part. But I can't just not get creeped out or not get jump scared either. Above was mentioned a thing from tloz series. But tloz has a few of those moments where things are just plain creepy. I find it odd Nintendo made tloz as creepy as it is sometimes. Me a guy who can sit through or play something very edgy as far as horror and still feel creeped out or unsettled due to something in that particular game.

Oh, ever play Power Drill Massacre? Every time the killer pops out to kill you. I mean usually it's instant death, but sometimes you can run for the longest time, so the fear continues, heck I even felt tense just waiting for him to show up. The game itself is creepy as it is.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 8:45 pm

Literally everything about Jenova in Final Fantasy VII
The final boss battle and accompanying monstrosity that nearly kills both Aeron and Elena in Pandora's Tower [S Ending]
Everything about the Dark Future, Dusknoir, Primal Dialga, Darkrai, and Darkrai's nightmares in Pokemon Explorers of Sky
Most [if not all] of the bad endings in Radiant Historia

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 11:54 pm

Lisa Trevor... I just about crapped a couple bricks when I went to the gates underneath the mansion staircase that lead down to the lower levels and was jovially greeted by that spooky rasping wail... turns out the poor test subject decided to go wandering around the bloody woods and ran into me there.

Another supremely bone jangling slice of gaming trauma is when you're down in the pixel slosh too long without air in sonic and that appalling death knell doom-melody comes barging in, you know, DENADENADOODEEDOODEEDENADENADOODEEDOODEE carnage-tune that tells you in no uncertain terms, YOU'RE DYING DOWN HERE, FIND A BUBBLE OR DESCEND OFF THE SCREEN WITH A LITTLE NICE THUD. It has disturbed me since I was a kid, I hate going down into liquid in sonic, it's lethal, you can't bypass anything unless you're in those funky bonus stages, then you can go in a different direction but can't stop, what a cruel realm.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 11:16 am

I don't get scared by games much either, but I remember when I was a kid and I was playing the video game adaptation of the new King Kong movie, there was a level where you play as Jack walking along the bottom of a cliff, and there are holes in the walls where giant centipedes would jump out at you. And you never knew which one had a bug and which one didn't. I wasted so much ammo preemptively firing into every single hole just to keep from getting jumpscared, lol. Then I found out there was a way to turn a aiming reticule on, and it turned red whenever it was over an enemy, so that all but elliminated the tension there.

Also, just walking around the first few hallways in Fatal Frame managed to creep me out too, but I can attribute that entirely to the soundtrack. It isn't so much a song as it is just low, long distorted noises, and it's extremely atmospheric.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 5:51 pm

Fighting these, definitely the most terrifying enemy I've personally battled in gaming. I couldn't fight them with the sound on, the sound added to the fear factor so much for me. And I was still so afraid of them. You might wonder what was so scary about them after the victorious first battle. Keep watching. You'll see...

https://youtu.be/y1lbCWqiqyk?t=297

This scene:

https://youtu.be/GBJnHVAMmrg?t=1229

It's hard to appreciate properly without the buildup to it, without having gone through the game until that point, but the blind let's player at least helps bridge the gap a little bit.

Now, not something I've personally done, but going up against this guy for sure:

https://youtu.be/xcyBtVwAsfg?t=62

Arcade game, so would be super loud too. And factor in the time of release too. The comments sections of videos of this game highlight how truly terrifying facing him was.

DancingCorpse wrote:
Another supremely bone jangling slice of gaming trauma is when you're down in the pixel slosh too long without air in sonic and that appalling death knell doom-melody comes barging in, you know, DENADENADOODEEDOODEEDENADENADOODEEDOODEE carnage-tune that tells you in no uncertain terms, YOU'RE DYING DOWN HERE, FIND A BUBBLE OR DESCEND OFF THE SCREEN WITH A LITTLE NICE THUD. It has disturbed me since I was a kid, I hate going down into liquid in sonic, it's lethal, you can't bypass anything unless you're in those funky bonus stages, then you can go in a different direction but can't stop, what a cruel realm.

Ohhhhh yes.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 9:01 pm

Oh, here's another one I just remembered. I was playing Dark Souls, just wandering around the overworld early in the game, and I happened across the tunnel leading to the Tomb of the Giants (or whatever the place is called that leads to the tomb). Naturally, I decide to explore. I've only taken a few steps down the tunnel, though, when I see a skeleton running straight for me out of the shadows. I don't know why that scared me so much (I had to fight skeletons just to get to the freaking tunnel), but it did and I turned and hightailed it out of there.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 3:28 pm

It would have to be between the old Wolfenstein 3d and Doom. The former mostly because you'd open a door not knowing what was behind it and the scream of a particularly bad baddy would be the first sign he was there and you knew you had to act quick. Doom had stuff like that but also completely dark rooms with such monsters too who could see you even though you couldn't really see them etc. On a large stereo the sound effects in these two games could make you jump out of your seat.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2016, 8:14 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Literally everything about Jenova in Final Fantasy VII

I love that I knew who posted this before I actually looked at the user... Jenova is the best villain in any game, honestly. Even now, as a proper adult (supposedly), she/he/it is the scariest thing... the whole story about how it infiltrated the Cetra was paranoia-inducing as a kid. They could have done a LOT more with the concept but I still love it and the game in general.

Kuraudo, I must ask. Who was in control: Sephiroph or Jenova? Or both?

My scariest game moment was actually in the original Silent Hill. I made my dad play most of it for me, because I was terrified. The one thing that really scared me was the idea of the hospital having a basement's basement. The sounds coming from it, the whole sense that it was a forbidden place that shouldn't really exist, it seemed so powerful to me. The heavy industrial soundtrack certainly didn't help!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

My theory is that Jenova is in control, manipulating Sephiroth's ego and driving him into insanity and making him believe that he is separate from everything and better than anyone--since Jenova is basically ego-ism 'up to eleven', so to speak.
Jenova's theme seems to find her/it exactly, so creepy and mind-bending and psychotic.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2016, 8:51 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
My theory is that Jenova is in control, manipulating Sephiroth's ego and driving him into insanity and making him believe that he is separate from everything and better than anyone--since Jenova is basically ego-ism 'up to eleven', so to speak.
Jenova's theme seems to find her/it exactly, so creepy and mind-bending and psychotic.

I would tend to agree, if only because Jenova is a stronger (and scarier) antagonist. I think that Sephiroph is a part of Jenova, something that fell into the lifestream and became a way for it to manipulate Cloud and co.

I definitely think that Jenova influenced Sephiroph into insanity through those genes. It's what I always assumed when I was younger and it makes sense + is creepier than any other explanation.

What is the name of the theme that plays in the Shinra building after Jenova has broken loose? That's the scariest music that has ever existed

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2016, 8:52 pm

Things that are pretty straight-forward don't really get me anymore, but those little things, easter egg or otherwise, that are hidden in a lot of games and not really explained, as well as the often darker symbolism if you look into design and inspirations, usually manage to send an exciting shiver down my spine.

An example being the gyroids in Animal Crossing being based on burial statues. Yeah. So, that room you got with a bunch of gyroids in it? Graveyard. That thing that happens when you don't save on a journey to another town in the original and show up with a gyroid face next time you boot up the game? That's Nintendo's way of saying, "since you didn't save, you died on your trip".

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:57 pm

Trail of Blood.

xDominiel: When my gaming friend told me about the gyroids, I didn't believe him at first.