Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lily3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2016, 7:51 am

Hello

I am the mum of an as yet diagnosed 13 year old daughter with high functioning autism/Aspergers.

The thing I am dreading most about the holidays is the unstructured time off school. She generally copes OK with actual Christmas itself, providing she gets to have some quiet time. But we have noticed that every school holiday she withdraws even more into herself, and she has now recognised that even if she doesn't like school, she likes the routine. When it comes to the holidays, she says she likes to have nothing to do, but that's not actually true! She finds it hard to "find things to do" unless that is being on the computer. She does like art and reading, but they are rather solitary pursuits

I have to say that planning our every moment totally goes against the grain for me, but I'm wondering if this is what's needed?

Any tips on how to get her to engage in some activities that mean she is not just holed up in her room? I'm certainly not against that as an activity per se, but as I said it starts making her rather down.

Any thoughts/tips gratefully received. :D

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 12:25 pm

Solitary pursuits may be regenerative for her, especially around a big holiday, but she may also need some amounts of structered time. I would really have a discussion with her and see what she needs.

Peer interactions are typically arranged by the kids themselves at that age, and they are often spontaneous, but aspie kids often take off from that during breaks, even if they have friends.

You could schedule family game nights and other activities when family is not at work, that you know she would like.

If she is not keen with making a holiday schedule, but she has trouble thinking of things to do, you could brainstorm things she likes, type them out, cut them into strips of paper, and fold them and put them into a container. Whenever she needs something to do, she could fish one out. If that is too random for her, you could just have her refer to a non-cut-up version of the list to remind her of her options.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 7:51 am

"My kid likes to read and play on the computer during Christmas break. Also, sometimes she gets bored. Please help!"

Sounds like a normal kid. Doesn't even sound like an autism issue. Doesn't sound like an issue at all.