Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2016, 11:00 am

I have this issue with interpreting muscle pain which I get after exercise.

It's not that I feel pain after exercise (everyone does), it's not that I'm doing the exercise wrong or hurting myself, it's just that I feel like my nervous system is interpreting the pain as damage. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack or have cancer, or some other serious illness. I know in my mind that I'm experiencing muscle pain but that doesn't seem to help me that much.

I've been trying to research possible conditions to explain this issue. I came up with Sensory processing disorder (SPD) (also called Sensory integrative dysfunction), and Sensory Dysfunction Disorder.

Does anyone else have problems with exercise and interpreting pain signals?

yoshiofdeath
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2016, 3:43 pm

Yes. Since I was 16, I used to frequently get severe hip and knee joint pains (primarily after coming home from school or while at school). They went away for a few years then came back. I started getting pretty severe muscle aches around shoulders... knees... hips. I was tested for arthritis and myopathy, but there were no signs of either (e.g. negative blood test results). I believe my social anxiety can become so severe that it manifests as various joint and muscle pains and has led me down the wrong path, health-wise.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2016, 4:27 am

This is more like I'm experiencing the same muscle pain as everyone else after exercise but it's just hurting me more and my body can't interpret the pain as muscle pain. It just feels like damage. I can't recognize it for what it truly is, except as a theory in my mind.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 12:35 am

This is quite interesting cause I've been dwelling on it lately, I have difficulty interpreting localized muscle pain every now and then, when I have had a solid workout a few days before, I am aware certain shapes of my being are in debt to the effort I have expended but I have a tough time tracing the lines to specific sections, I try to workout two or three times a week on average and I always whittle it down to a vague sensation of 'oh, I'm inflamed!'... but where am I actually hurting to a viable degree? It's definitely damage but damage I can handle, whether it's between the ribs or along the shoulder blades, at least I can pinpoint the area that has incurred the expenditure of my healthy intentions through targeting the initial load bearing section as I hit the weights and sit ups hard primarily and go from there. My cardio cargo usually collides with the calves, they are rarely afflicted so cargo is pretty light on me. Maybe I oughta apply ice and go seek an informed massage hehe, I don't really entertain notions of 'pain' with regards to lifting weights but I am a human being all the same so probably should consider strains and aches and how to combat them so as to be able to pursue more efficient and compassionate routes toward body sculpting lol.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 9:47 pm

Have you read about fibromyalgia? I have it and have come to learn (generally) the difference between damage related pain and general work out pain.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2018, 12:53 pm

I'm experiencing this problem again today after trying to do a pilates workout, I'm just suffering for days afterwards. Does anyone have trouble functioning after exercise due to nagging muscle pains?