Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Johs98
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2017, 5:44 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ that is quite ambitious. :thumleft:

i would be annoyed at never having a set schedule, instead always being "on call", never knowing if your net hour will be spent working or goofing off.

tell me it's better than that. :|

when i worked, i was the "go to" dishwasher when the other guy didn't show up for whatever reason. a single days notice is iffy enough, never mind a few minutes.

That's pretty much exactly how it is, there's been days where I've had a call about an hour before they need me to do a shift somewhere, to say it's a pain in the ass is putting it lightly.

Although I did have a permanent contract at one place over the Christmas period (from the first week in October to the first week in January) and that was pretty good because I knew which days I'd be working and which days I'd be off. But that ended on Wednesday so I'm back to waiting for the phone to ring.

With Amy luck I'll be able to find another one of those.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2017, 3:20 pm

Not that proud, not really, I'm a pharmacy tech and although I'm quite useful to local community (sorting out old people's meds when they leave hospitals, recommending treatments, processing prescriptions like a robot) what I do is seriously below the level of what I could be doing with my Master's in biotechnology. The problem is... it's been 12 years since I got my Master's and in that time I was mainly a... graphic designer :)
Not even a great one, I had my own business for some time, I still sell photos on one stock photo website (but that's a hobby mainly), but I found deadlines and pressure and client's constantly changing ideas too stressful to handle. Plus - how would I even find more clients? Talk to them with my social anxiety and try to look confident? Scary!
My job is only part-time so at least I can combine it with parenting as a single mother. Ideally, I'd like to work for my local Women's Centre as a general office person who could also do graphic design & print related work. I did a similar thing for a Chinese charity as a volunteer and loved it, felt appreciated and liked there.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 4:47 pm

Yes, I work for a well known, fortune 500 company and help them make money so I can take pride in that. After working several s**t jobs that paid very little for years, I now appreciate what my current job has.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 7:29 pm

Yes.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 1:42 am

Johs98 wrote:
That's pretty much exactly how it is, there's been days where I've had a call about an hour before they need me to do a shift somewhere, to say it's a pain in the ass is putting it lightly.

ah.

and you follow up on their requests?

after months of that happening to me repeatedly i became scared to even LOOK at my phone on my off time, fearing i'd be getting a text or call from a desperate, inconsiderate supervisor, and fearing even more what would happen if i didn't go help them.

because apparently i'm the hero, i have to go and save the day for them. :roll:

i used to think i wasn't a "team player" and i was irresponsible if i didn't go, until i realized an off day is an off day, and if they don't have someone to do the work then, its their own damn fault. :lol:

of course, i did have a set schedule then.

when you next get a job with a set schedule and they pull that stuff on you, don't let them take you out for a walk like that.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 2:57 am

Not tonight. I feel like I'm working in a drug treatment center instead of a cardiac unit. I have one IV heroin drug user who almost died because of endocarditis and will need open heart surgery. They need to be on IV antibiotics at home so they plan on discharging them with a PICC line - not a good idea if you ask me, but I just work here.

Then I have an alcoholic in withdrawal so I'm having to dose him up on Ativan so he doesn't go into seizures. I feel like calling that Ken Sweeney on that "Intervention" show! :mrgreen:

Stay off the drugs and alcohol kids cause it never ends well.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 11:05 pm

I work with novelty foods. It's not glamorous, and it can't support me forever, but I enjoy it. Working with food was something I thought I wouldn't enjoy because I always imagined messy, loud, dangerous kitchens, but it's opened my mind again.

I don't want to work with technology, science, data, etc, or people, which leaves me very few options.

Zygotic
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm

not ate all proud. I am in that horrible situation of coming up with a job title that doesn't make people question why I have wasted everything I have worked hard for.

Berrylight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2017, 3:29 am

Yes, I like my job. It makes me happy. But, to be honest, I haven't got enough of time for myself. And as I'm combining it with studying, I used to ask Supreme essay guys for some help. They usually both proofread and edit my papers. That saves my time.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:36 am

Berrylight wrote:
Yes, I like my job. It makes me happy. But, to be honest, I haven't got enough of time for myself.
How do you do that!?

Really, I want to know. I want to get educated but I want to keep my job but I don't want to feel totally drained.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:05 am

I work in the semiconductor manufacturing industry, specifically on the vacuum systems. Its a complicated job, but I get to move around a lot.

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2017, 9:56 am

I love my line of work (I'm a EMT), but it's a matter of not being paid enough to live off of. Even Paramedics make pitiful salary compared to police officers or nurses. I'll need to consider changing if I plan on ever having a family.

nurseangela wrote:
Not tonight. I feel like I'm working in a drug treatment center instead of a cardiac unit. I have one IV heroin drug user who almost died because of endocarditis and will need open heart surgery. They need to be on IV antibiotics at home so they plan on discharging them with a PICC line - not a good idea if you ask me, but I just work here.

Then I have an alcoholic in withdrawal so I'm having to dose him up on Ativan so he doesn't go into seizures. I feel like calling that Ken Sweeney on that "Intervention" show! :mrgreen:

Stay off the drugs and alcohol kids cause it never ends well.

God (or whatever you believe in) bless you, I could never work in a ICU or general hospital environment (-maybe- a E.R) for the life of me - let alone cardiac stepdown. Too much bodily fluids going around for my liking 8)