Does anyone else feel sad when plants die?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

Its certainly happened more than once...I remember my first year of college a cactus I had died over Christmas break when I went to visit family because it didn't get enough sunlight, and it really upset me. I had that plant for years before that and was certainly attached to it. Then more recently there was a plant I was trying to revive because it was dying and I had it in the kitchen by a window and it seemed like it was just starting to recover, but my mom mistook it for a totally dead plant and put it in the garage by the garbage when it was really cold out and it couldn't recover. I was pretty mad at my mom but it was an accident so whatever.

So yeah does anyone else have this sort of issue? Also I have some venus fly traps and they are supposed to go dormant in the winter but there is one that I can't tell if its doing that or just dying...so that is a bit frustrating.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 7:26 pm

Of course I do. They're life, too.

I feel sad....but I don't really mourn them, per se.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 7:46 pm

Yes. I do not like killing plants. If i have to pull a weed out, or snap a branch of a tree off, I feel like i am hurting a living thing and causing suffering. I do not like it when i have to kill a fly or spider (for example. if you need to kill fruit flies that gather in the kitchen during the summer).

I feel that this is wrong, but necessary for survival (as flies carry disease).

I do not like killing although can not say that i am so extreme that i can practice full ahimsa (non-violence, or not killing) as found in indian religions such as in jainism. Although i respect those who do regardless as to whether their is a good or not.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm

I don't think I get Sad, just disappointed when I plant seedlings and they don't last very long, I planted some spreading petunias and none of them survived, yet I put some in a pot on the fence and they're putting on a good show.
My Camellias always flower and I get Disappointed when they finish even though I know they'll flower next year.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 8:11 pm

Yeah it's rather upsetting, I keep putting labels on them after historical murderers to confuse drunk people when they come over and they start googling, it's quite funny and a hell of a conversation starter and actually gets people to learn something historical. I had an Ivy die on me recently that I had for a looong time, rest in peace Elizabeth Bathory. :cry: I figure I'll just get another now. Time for an Alice Kyteler Ivy. I have a lavender plant called Catherine Monvoisin and a Bonsai Tree called Joji Obara. I had a few others but they died a while ago. I need more plants.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 8:33 pm

I feel horrible when house plants die - and most of mine do. Im thinking of asking the florist I buy them from to give me detailed written directions. Getting the information from the internet is not enough for me. And vague instructions to water when dry etc. are too vague. I need black and white direction. Outdoor plants do much better for me, but when they get thick and need splitting I feel very bad if I have nowhere to plant the split out bits. I do feel like a murderer. 8O

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2016, 3:59 am

Yes, very sad. One went yesterday.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 12:02 pm

I had a pet cactus when I was a kid too. I was sad when it died. I also have a maple tree that I planted in my backyard which was just a couple inches tall when I was like 7 years old and now the tree is like 3 stories high. An icestorm partially broke a limb of the tree one year and I remember that bothered me. My father wanted to cut it down and that made me really mad. I was able to stop him from doing so and the tree is still growning. It turns a beautiful yellow, orange and red each every autumn.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 12:23 pm

I do feel sad when plants die, but it's not total sadness - more akin to the feeling one gets when you come to the end of a good book. Some of the seedlings I planted over a month ago include a few cacti and succulents, not many have sprouted given it's the wrong season, so I'm really over-protective of them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 12:29 pm

I don't know if I feel sad but I do have a houseplant that I've been keeping alive for years. It's one my daughter bought for me when she was younger.

This poor plant has been to hell and back because of poor lighting and just all round bad conditions (to keep plants)in my house. I brought it back from the brink about 3 years ago and it's doing ok.

I would be really disappointed if it died.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm

Yeah I do

I also feel tremendously guilty. I planted a couple of hostas in the yard and they did not do well and died. I felt terrible.

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2016, 1:00 pm

nope couldn't care less.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 1:22 pm

I feel sad when plants die. They're part of that green fuzziness called LiFE.

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2016, 2:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel sad when plants die. They're part of that green fuzziness called LiFE.

but why is life so special? sperm are alive, are you in dismay whenever you ejaculate and genocide all those sperm cells? how about cockroaches and fleas, do they hold sentimental value to you as well?
this thread is VERY emotion-based compared to what i'd expect on an autism board.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2016, 7:16 am

Yes, I get upset when plants die.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Dec 2016, 7:48 am

In the way you describe it, yes that would make me feel sad. Anything dying from the callousness and carelessness of others is sad and upsetting.