Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Karategurl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2016, 11:13 am

Is Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 2 considered high functioning autism or lower?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 3:59 pm

Well...neither.

In the latest DSM they subdivide autism into three categories these days: "level one" is the least severe, and "level three" is the most severe, and "level two" is intermediate.

So I suppose that it would be "middle functioning" if there were such a term.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 5:44 pm

Thank you for explaining the levels, naturalplastic. It all sounded like a lot of psychological jargon before. I'm glad to see what the levels really mean in terms of functioning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 5:49 pm

There are a few people on this Site with a Level 2 Diagnosis here. So you are not alone.

Obviously, it depends on the person--but people with Level 2 autism almost always are able to take care of their basic needs, and at least some other needs as well. They usually have verbal speech, or are able to communicate well through some other method.

But they need significant support as far as living life is concerned, especially when it comes to such things as paying bills and what occurs in social situations.

PhantasmBear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2016, 6:08 pm

My four year old son was diagnosed level 2 ASD in August. He knew hundreds of ASL signs and could finger-spell his first and middle name before he spoke a word just before his 3rd birthday. He can assemble 60 piece puzzles, yet he struggles with writing. Most of his delays are social/emotional. He still sleeps with me. He is very on-par with his 2 year old sister. It was explained to me by the diagnosing psychologist that the levels indicate how much assistance the individual needs to function. Thus, my son requires a moderate amount of support to function.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

Level 2 basically means a person needs a bit more support than a high functioning person.

A person in level 2 may have delayed speech, their autism is more noticeable. Stimming may be more obvious and frequent, executive functioning is usually very impaired however in time people with level two can and most often do live nearly independent lives. The difference is a person with level one can actually go a lifetime without a diagnoses and can live a independent life such as getting a job, keeping clean, and making friends. while a person with level two may not progress without support in place, even though they CAN progress and most often do.

Level 2 is more stereotypical.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm

Many may not be independent in Level 1, like me. Both levels describe me.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 1:49 am

I don't even know what level I am; the diagnosis I was given was literally "Autism Spectrum Disorder Without Language or Intellectual Impairments". I'm assuming this would be Level 1, but I had a speech delay and many other things about me would suggest Level 2.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 4:19 am

I'm diagnosed level 2 - moderate. I've always associated level 1 as mild, level 2 as moderate and level 3 as severe. In some areas I'm closer to level 1 and in others I'm closer to level 3. But primarily I'm somewhere in the middle.

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Level 2 basically means a person needs a bit more support than a high functioning person.

A person in level 2 may have delayed speech, their autism is more noticeable. Stimming may be more obvious and frequent, executive functioning is usually very impaired however in time people with level two can and most often do live nearly independent lives. The difference is a person with level one can actually go a lifetime without a diagnoses and can live a independent life such as getting a job, keeping clean, and making friends. while a person with level two may not progress without support in place, even though they CAN progress and most often do.

Level 2 is more stereotypical.

Yes, that sounds about right for me. Keeping my fingers crossed for living independently.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 11:52 am

I was originally diagnosed with Asperger's using a less thorough assessment which is all I could afford to pay out of pocket privately. I then got into an autism study who reassessed me using the ADOS-2 and a whole barrage of testing for many hours including over 3 hours that my mom was interviewed as well pages of questionnaires for both of us. I was then rediagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder level 2 for my DSM-5 diagnosis.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...neither.

In the latest DSM they subdivide autism into three categories these days: "level one" is the least severe, and "level three" is the most severe, and "level two" is intermediate.

So I suppose that it would be "middle functioning" if there were such a term.

No, IT's just sorted by the various things that come along with it. Level two wouldn't be more severe or less severe than Level 1 just with language impairment.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:54 pm

These levels should be not be thought of as permanent for the person?

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm

I wasn't given a level diagnosis, but I'd say I'm closest to level 2. I am EXTREMELY intelligent when it comes to academic stuff but am absolutely useless at independent living things. A lot of it is too confusing for me.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2017, 5:31 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
I wasn't given a level diagnosis, but I'd say I'm closest to level 2. I am EXTREMELY intelligent when it comes to academic stuff but am absolutely useless at independent living things. A lot of it is too confusing for me.

This is me.

I'm level 2 autistic.

Intellectual functioning isn't impaired whatsoever; I always did well in school -- started college a year early, and I graduated cum laude with a degree in English.

I wasn't diagnosed until age 29 in part because of this kind of intellectual functioning. Plus it's more subtle in women. My lack of initiating conversations was interpreted as shyness/introversion. My professorial and robotic speech was just labeled "nerd" behavior back then.

But I had delayed toilet training (not fully trained until age seven), delayed car driving ability (no license until age 21; still cannot parallel park; still need GPS to navigate anywhere unfamiliar), a few motor deficits (can't tie shoes except in double knot; can't execute a lock combination; can't manipulate keychains; can't ride bike; can't swim etc. although I did well in catching/throwing football and playing basketball), lots of employment struggles and a few police involvement issues over horrible social skills and meltdowns, difficulty with close friendships of any kind (though happily married), difficulty understanding intricacies of insurance and dealing with that kind of matter over the phone, etc.

I'm able to run errands (like shop for groceries) independently, and go to church, and volunteer at an animal shelter, or even hold part-time jobs for up to about a year by myself -- but beyond that, it's a no-go. My husband helps me with a lot of stuff. I help him with housekeeping. :)

It's odd to think I've accomplished this much as a level 2 autistic, or odd to think I've accomplished so little with high intellect, but that's how complex this spectrum can manifest in a given individual.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2017, 6:14 pm

I am also considered level 2 autism. And while I can hold a job, make my food and such. I need help with bills, money management and keeping the house cleaned up. Its to overwhelming to deal with and the bills just confuse and overwhelm me as I am horrible at any kind of math related stuff. While my original diagnosis was Asperger's Syndrome, when the DSM changed in the USA and with all my therapist had learned as we explored my childhood and my current struggles, she changed it to ASD Level 2. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:

I'm sort of like this as well. People say I'm very well spoken and intelligent, but I honestly don't feel that way.