Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 5:26 pm

Who knew the future would hold a cold tweet war:

Trump wrote:
The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes

Trump tweeted the above in response to:

Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday called for the country to reinforce its military nuclear potential and praised the army's performance in its Syria campaign.

In a speech that recapped military activities in 2016, Putin said the army's preparedness has "considerably increased" and called for continued improvement that would ensure it can "neutralise any military threat".

Yahoo News: Putin urges Russian nuclear weapons boost

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 6:14 pm

Well...Trump did want to be Putin's buddy.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 6:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Well...Trump did want to be Putin's buddy.

What I heard him say is he'd rather not they be adversaries.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

If you lived during the Cold War, you would probably be skeptical about Russian intentions.

I am of Russian descent. I really enjoy reading about the history of Russia. So I am not fundamentally anti-Russian. I am more anti-Soviet Union.

The problem I have with Putin is that he was in the KGB, which was the Soviet secret police.

And I find it a big problem that he seeks to increase Russia's nuclear arsenal. People who lived in the Cold War would have a BIG problem with that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 8:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you lived during the Cold War, you would probably be skeptical about Russian intentions.

I am of Russian descent. I really enjoy reading about the history of Russia. So I am not fundamentally anti-Russian. I am more anti-Soviet Union.

The problem I have with Putin is that he was in the KGB, which was the Soviet secret police.

And I find it a big problem that he seeks to increase Russia's nuclear arsenal. People who lived in the Cold War would have a BIG problem with that.

I read that Putin was in the the Federal Security Service wich was an arm of the KGB, rather than him being a KGB agent. And also that he was in favor of Perestroika. I read his wanting to do this was in response to Syria rather than the US. But I see it as the idea of a deterrent to war rather than doing it because he wants a war. I'm more concerned over what him and Trump are preparing for. It sounds to me like something that's a threat to both Russia and the US. As far as the cold war goes, I believe that was more a matter of the US considering communism to be a threat to their imperialism, the "American Dream".

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Dec 2016, 11:11 am

Our nuclear forces do need upgrading, we haven't made anything new since the early 90s iirc

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 11:31 am

I was stationed in Berlin when the wall fell. There was a lot of hope that nuclear war was a thing of the past.

The thing about the arms race, is that it really isn't important how many or how advanced the weapon are, all you need is one and the will to use it and you are a world player.

any single insane person with a nuclear weapon can enforce their will on the other 8 billion on the planet.

It doesn't matter how many warheads or how good your defenses, you can not defend against that. :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 12:02 pm

feral botanist wrote:
I was stationed in Berlin when the wall fell.

I had you pegged as being around my age. Maybe even a couple of years younger.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

No but I still enjoy a good argument now and then.

The logical fallacies are a set of rules, that help keep the discussion about the issue and not about personalities, delivery or related issues.

They often make discussions more difficult, but help explore the issue more directly.

Please understand, they are directed at your arguments or the way you argue, not at you personally.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:00 pm

Right calling someone an unteachable pig and so on could never be taken as personal. Continually posting links that turn out to be "gotcha" memes, isn't the least bit antagonistic, not to mention immature. Tactics and gimmicks are always better than straightforward discussion at keeping things on track.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:13 pm

Man you know this one well: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

I am challenging you to be a better thinker.

If you are truly thinking about an argument, not just believing, then you must analyse the strengths and weaknesses of it.

I can concede a good point to you (liberals challenging the vote), but logical fallacies deserve nothing but scorn. I thought the horses ass was pretty funny.

You get to decide: are you a pig who doesn't want to sing? I never called you that, but I did apologise for annoying you. You decided that I was calling you a pig.

I would enjoy actually discussing these issues with you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:51 pm

It's too bad when a person can't recognize the flaws in their presumptuous ham-handed attempt at coaching someone. Physician, heal thyself.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:03 pm

Once again I apologise.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:07 pm

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I read that Putin was in the the Federal Security Service wich was an arm of the KGB, rather than him being a KGB agent. And also that he was in favor of Perestroika. I read his wanting to do this was in response to Syria rather than the US. But I see it as the idea of a deterrent to war rather than doing it because he wants a war. I'm more concerned over what him and Trump are preparing for. It sounds to me like something that's a threat to both Russia and the US. As far as the cold war goes, I believe that was more a matter of the US considering communism to be a threat to their imperialism, the "American Dream".

The Soviets were far more imperialistic than America ever was. It was in fact the mass murderer, Joseph Stalin, who had instigated the Cold War, and threw up the Iron Curtain, after devouring half of Europe at the end of WWII. There was absolutely nothing altruistic about Soviet expansion. And it was just that Soviet (Russian) Empire that Putin wants to restore, as he sees the loss of Russian prestige and power following the end of the Cold War as his country's greatest tragedy.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm

My bad I meant capitalism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 10:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
And it was just that Soviet (Russian) Empire that Putin wants to restore, as he sees the loss of Russian prestige and power following the end of the Cold War as his country's greatest tragedy.

An ironic similarity
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/yes-adol ... 1789261081
http://europe.newsweek.com/putin-danger ... 5550?rm=eu
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... soundbites