How to Tell the Average Person About Global Warming

Page 6 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 3:43 am

much atmospheric oxygen is provided by phytoplankton and marine plants and protists. terrestrial plants are only a part.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 9:37 am

The Earth IS self-correcting.

If necessary, it will happily shake us off its back and get about the process of correcting itself.

Rather comforting knowledge, for all I'd rather the species not be wiped out (most days).

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Dec 2016, 10:00 am

eric76 wrote:
More people dying from natural disasters? Increased crime? What? Don't fall for what the panic mongers are telling you.

I know that it can all be a bit overwhelming, but these are both rigorous, scientifically based predictions.

Crime rises in the summer and particularly when it is hotter. Emergency services in America go to crisis mode when certain temperature benchmarks are hit because they know that there will be a spike in shootings (as well as heat stroke of course).

There's more uncertainty regarding natural disasters. However, we know that high temperatures are a major causal factor in tropical storms. See here for more information on the likely effects of global warming on tropical storms. Droughts and monsoons are also likely to become more commonplace and severe, and, yes, so are heatwaves; deaths are on the rise despite improvements in air conditioning, including in places like Russia and Canada where aircon is usually unnecessary.

I thought better of you than writing off people who make evidence-based claims as "panic mongers".

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 11:03 am

The_Walrus wrote:
eric76 wrote:
More people dying from natural disasters? Increased crime? What? Don't fall for what the panic mongers are telling you.

I know that it can all be a bit overwhelming, but these are both rigorous, scientifically based predictions.

Crime rises in the summer and particularly when it is hotter. Emergency services in America go to crisis mode when certain temperature benchmarks are hit because they know that there will be a spike in shootings (as well as heat stroke of course).

There's more uncertainty regarding natural disasters. However, we know that high temperatures are a major causal factor in tropical storms. See here for more information on the likely effects of global warming on tropical storms. Droughts and monsoons are also likely to become more commonplace and severe, and, yes, so are heatwaves; deaths are on the rise despite improvements in air conditioning, including in places like Russia and Canada where aircon is usually unnecessary.

I thought better of you than writing off people who make evidence-based claims as "panic mongers".

The Global Warming alarmists have put a lot of effort into trying to shift the blame for just about everything they can to Global Warming. Rather than being rational, they are trying to rationalize their fear. A great many of the predictions are, I think, not made by people with any climate expertise at all. Many of them are downright silly.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 11:13 am

Here's "A complete list of things caused by global warming" from http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm. Some examples some of which are contradictory:

Quote:
AIDS
poppies more potent
Air France crash
airport malaria
Al Qaeda and Taliban Being Helped
alligators in the Thames
Alps melting
Amazon a desert
animals shrink
wasps
Antarctic ice grows
Antarctic ice shrinks
beer better
beer worse
Black Hawk down
winds stronger
winds weaker

It's a big list.

My favorite is "women cheat on vacation".

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:43 pm

/\That list is funny.
I know from experience that red wasps are more pugnacious when it's hot.We already have those super sized wasps,the cicada killers.Jeez those are some big ass wasps.Also the tarantula killer wasp,with supposedly the most painful sting ever.
But it will cause the expansion of fire ants.So far we don't have them,and I'm glad.I enjoy sitting in the grass and those will ruin it.
Dinner on the ground is a thing of the past for most Southern Baptists.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Dec 2016, 5:33 pm

eric76 wrote:
Here's "A complete list of things caused by global warming" from http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm. Some examples some of which are contradictory:

This seems to be a riff on "poisoning the well".

"People said that global warming will cause this. Global warming will not cause this. Therefore global warming will have no negative effects or even save the world."

It's pure anti-intellectualism. And again, emphasises the need to use reasons other than environmental disaster to convince people to adopt the necessary environmental policies and behaviours. No matter how strong the evidence, some people just won't believe or won't respond to the threat.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 12:06 am

The more frightened they are, the less they will listen.

The more frightening the immediate consequences of forced compliance (versus the long-term consequences of doing nothing), the less they will listen.

Make it appealing, volitional, voluntary, and an act of romanticized individualism and will (and, coincidentally, stop glorifying the American Material Fantasy, empty shell of s**tshow that it is), and they will be lining up to save the planet without even realizing that's what they are doing.

People have been sadly manipulated into making this mess.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 12:22 am

The_Walrus wrote:
eric76 wrote:

This seems to be a riff on "poisoning the well".

"People said that global warming will cause this. Global warming will not cause this. Therefore global warming will have no negative effects or even save the world."

It's pure anti-intellectualism. And again, emphasises the need to use reasons other than environmental disaster to convince people to adopt the necessary environmental policies and behaviours. No matter how strong the evidence, some people just won't believe or won't respond to the threat.

What it shows is how much of an effort there is to go out and blame everything possible on global warming / climate change. It demonstrates an enormous bias that should make people start to ask questions about the research.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 12:40 am

precipitation levels here have been at levels near the rock bottom of the state's history since 2011, and will likely continue into the next decade. every time we have rain, it falls for a couple hours and then the skies promptly open up again. it doesn't persist.

this is what our lake looks like. people used to launch and retrieve boats from that ramp:

farms are being forced to close and the water table keeps falling as aquifers are sucked dry. nobody here is denying that there is something seriously screwed up with the climate.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 11:40 am

Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.
~ Cree Prophecy

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 11:49 am

eric76 wrote:
Quote:
AIDS
poppies more potent
Air France crash
airport malaria
alligators in the Thames
Alps melting
Amazon a desert
animals shrink
wasps
Antarctic ice grows
Antarctic ice shrinks
beer better
beer worse
Black Hawk down
winds stronger
winds weaker

It's a big list.

Who created this list?

I looked at the website and all it is, is a big list with no evidence to support inclusion in the list.

I could post a big list of all the reasons I should be dating Kate Moss. It does not make them true or valid.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 2:03 pm

feral botanist wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Quote:
AIDS
poppies more potent
Air France crash
airport malaria
alligators in the Thames
Alps melting
Amazon a desert
animals shrink
wasps
Antarctic ice grows
Antarctic ice shrinks
beer better
beer worse
Black Hawk down
winds stronger
winds weaker

It's a big list.

Who created this list?

I looked at the website and all it is, is a big list with no evidence to support inclusion in the list.

I could post a big list of all the reasons I should be dating Kate Moss. It does not make them true or valid.

You must not have looked at the list very closely. The items on the list are links to pages that describe why the item is on the list.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 2:25 pm

eric76 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Quote:
AIDS
poppies more potent
Air France crash
airport malaria
alligators in the Thames
Alps melting
Amazon a desert
animals shrink
wasps
Antarctic ice grows
Antarctic ice shrinks
beer better
beer worse
Black Hawk down
winds stronger
winds weaker

It's a big list.

Who created this list?

You must not have looked at the list very closely. The items on the list are links to pages that describe why the item is on the list.

I looked at some. Here is a stellar example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lanet.html

I am still trying to figure out how GCC is responsible for virtual farewells.

This website bares the signs of an internet conspirasists and to debunk all of the inaccuracies would take more time than I have or care to spend.

Here is an example of an internet conspirasist.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:14 pm

feral botanist wrote:
eric76 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Quote:
AIDS
poppies more potent
Air France crash
airport malaria
alligators in the Thames
Alps melting
Amazon a desert
animals shrink
wasps
Antarctic ice grows
Antarctic ice shrinks
beer better
beer worse
Black Hawk down
winds stronger
winds weaker

It's a big list.

Who created this list?

I looked at some. Here is a stellar example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lanet.html

I am still trying to figure out how GCC is responsible for virtual farewells.

This website bares the signs of an internet conspirasists and to debunk all of the inaccuracies would take more time than I have or care to spend.

Here is an example of an internet conspirasist.

The site is clearly trying to show how stupid all these supposed consequences of Global Warming really are. It's not trying to convince anyone that Global Warming is real. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm

One very stupid consequence of Global Warming was written by a scientist and published in the 2007 IPCC report -- that all the glaciers in the Himalayas would melt by the year 2035.