How to Tell the Average Person About Global Warming

Page 7 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm

One very stupid consequence of Global Warming was written by a scientist and published in the 2007 IPCC report -- that all the glaciers in the Himalayas would melt by the year 2035.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:36 pm

eric76 wrote:
One very stupid consequence of Global Warming was written by a scientist and published in the 2007 IPCC report -- that all the glaciers in the Himalayas would melt by the year 2035.

what a moron, I am sure glad that guy was wrong!

"Overall, glaciers in the Greater Himalayan region that have been studied are retreating an average of between 18 and 20 m (59 and 66 ft) annually. The only region in the Greater Himalaya that has seen glacial advances is in the Karakoram Range and only in the highest elevation glaciers, but this has been attributed possibly increased precipitation as well as to the correlating glacial surges, where the glacier tongue advances due to pressure build up from snow and ice accumulation further up the glacier."

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Var ... df#page=56

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:49 pm

eric76 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
eric76 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Here's "A complete list of things caused by global warming" from http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm. Some examples some of which are contradictory:
Quote:
AIDS
poppies more potent
Air France crash
airport malaria
Al Qaeda and Taliban Being Helped
alligators in the Thames
Alps melting
Amazon a desert
animals shrink
wasps
Antarctic ice grows
Antarctic ice shrinks
beer better
beer worse
Black Hawk down
winds stronger
winds weaker

It's a big list.

My favorite is "women cheat on vacation".

Who created this list?

I looked at the website and all it is, is a big list with no evidence to support inclusion in the list.

I could post a big list of all the reasons I should be dating Kate Moss. It does not make them true or valid.

You must not have looked at the list very closely. The items on the list are links to pages that describe why the item is on the list.

I looked at some. Here is a stellar example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lanet.html

I am still trying to figure out how GCC is responsible for virtual farewells.

This website bares the signs of an internet conspirasists and to debunk all of the inaccuracies would take more time than I have or care to spend.

Here is an example of an internet conspirasist.

The site is clearly trying to show how stupid all these supposed consequences of Global Warming really are. It's not trying to convince anyone that Global Warming is real. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 3:40 am

eric76 wrote:
Here's "A complete list of things caused by global warming" from http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm. Some examples some of which are contradictory:

my favorite would have to be "russia under pressure".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:20 am

eric76 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
eric76 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I believe the environment is facing serious threats from mankind but the first priority should be to save the environment from environmentalists.

Did you hear the one from Canada? They proposed a hydroplant to generate gigawatts of clean energy. The environmentalists should be thrilled, right? Nope. They blocked it on the basis that it would cause environmental damage to one valley. Didn't it ever occur to them that preventing global warming through the use of clean energy could save all the valleys in the world?

They prevented that valley from being flooded but in 100 years it will be destroyed due to global warming. Environmentalists do more harm to the environment than anyone else.

Preventing Global Warming won't save much of anything except maybe the beachfront houses of the very wealthy.

The Marshall Islanders aren't wealthy.We have a population of them here in Arkanasa.The first of the "climate refugees."
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... .html?_r=0

According to Wikipedia, the estimated population of the Marshall islands is 53,376 in 2016.

Does this mean that you would have us try to stop Global Warming at very great cost for the benefit of those 53,376 people? What about the millions of people who will die from starvation if we were able to reduce the average temperature by just 1 degree Fahrenheit?

Regarding sea level, sea level is always changing. At the end of the last glaciation and the beginning of the Holocene, sea levels were approxiamately 100 to 120 meters below their current height.

Even more, a few thousand years ago, sea level may have been between 3 and 8 feet higher than today. For example, there are places in England where ocean sediment dated back to 4,000 years ago has been found at a height of one meter above sea level.

Sea level is always changing. It is not possible for mankind to guarantee that low-lying areas will not be overtaken by sea level rise and it is folly to try to do so.
What about the Philippines? 200 million people. Another low lying archipelago. Is that enough people to make it worthwhile. They're not all rich bastards either. Most of them are very poor.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 12:20 am

there's no point in the maldives that's more than 3 feet above sea level.

that's 345 thousand people, many of whom may face displacement. who will take them in if it ever comes to that?

some areas of tuvalu face seawater incursion by high tides daily.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.