Professional Tennis Players on the Spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

I'm a tennis fan and I was wondering if any professional players have AS traits? It is said people on the spectrum aren't athletic, but I disagree. I play tennis once a week recreationally.

Rafael Nadal has been said to have OCD traits.

Janko Tipsarevic is very intellectual and reads a lot of philosophy. He was also very hyper as a child.

Roger Federer was a walking ball of stress in his teens and was called a "hothead." More likely, he was a perfectionist.

Andy Murray used to be very shy and withdrawn, although he's coming out of it.

Novak Djokovic is prone to melting down mentally.

Denis Istomin is quiet, educated and intelligent. He has a musical background, his uncle being a professional cellist and Denis himself played the flute as a child.

I don't think any of them are really on the spectrum, but tennis seems to be a sport for intelligent, if not always formally educated individuals. Tipsarevic and Istomin have university degrees, but the rest on this list don't. Still, they know the value of hard work. All are above the "typical" range in that regard. I think it could help to be a bit "eccentric" if you're a tennis player.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

I've read about speculation regarding Andy Murray, and when I see him interviewed I get spectrum bells ringing. Let's just say if it ever came out that Andy was on the spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised by that news if that were to happen.

I don't think so, so much, about the others you list, though.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 6:49 pm

I agree. Djokovic, for example, is way too much of a "schmoozer" off court. He seems a bit narcissistic and craves attention, sometimes in the wrong ways.

Denis Istomin has wonderful on and off court composure. I wish I could handle myself as well at job interviews as he handles his press conferences.