Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2016, 3:20 pm

Hi,

As this is an introduction, I am new- I am 31 and living in Glasgow, Scotland. I just received my diagnosis this week after years and years of it being misdiagnosed/masked by other issues. I am not sure how I feel about it at this time.

I am a skateboarder (still) and am interested in busy, bizarre and discordant music.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 4:04 pm

Welcome!

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm

Hello :D

purpletoupee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm

Hi and welcome!

That's cool that you're into skateboarding - I've always wanted to try it. Why should you stop doing something you love because people expect you to? Sad and dull way to live a life. There's enough misery in the world without self-inducing it :)

Look forward to seeing you around here

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2016, 6:48 pm

Thanks for the welcomes y'all.

It's one of those things for me- I focus/focused very heavily on it because the concentration required to do what I want to do drowns out the rest of the world which is often a bit too much for me. That said, it does have quite a steep learning curve! If, however, you like a challenge and aren't adverse to bumps, bruises and attrition it can be very rewarding and fun!

It's just hard when nothing else quite touches that same level of calm and other things start having to take up more and more time.

purpletoupee

25 Dec 2016, 4:18 pm

I really hope things get easier for you from now on, and you're getting a good amount of support now that you've been diagnosed. It's a pretty scary diagnosis to get so late, I'm sure. And then there's (at least for me) the fear of the stigma creating more hurdles none of us need at all. I am not actually diagnosed myself but getting tested soon, after having it suggested to me on several occasions as an adult and only recently realising that it may well be the root of many other problems I have.

I may well make skateboarding something I try when I get back into the world more. If nothing else it might provide a bit of physical comedy for others.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm

Truth be told, it's re-framing a lot of my life at the moment and I'm processing a lot of new appraisals on old information but I'm trying not to get too bogged down with having a clinical label and just being open to getting a more suitable kind of support.

I do understand what you mean about stigma though. But my current stance is that no-one need know unless it is directly relevant and requires more than a vague explanation. I've got by so far by being elusive and "eccentric"

As someone who has been assessed recently, in the UK, I can say that I was super-crazy anxious about it but it's a (relatively) straight-forward assessment and much of my worry was unfounded.

I hope your process is smooth and as worry-free as it can be!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

purpletoupee

26 Dec 2016, 8:40 pm

voidofcontext wrote:
Truth be told, it's re-framing a lot of my life at the moment and I'm processing a lot of new appraisals on old information but I'm trying not to get too bogged down with having a clinical label and just being open to getting a more suitable kind of support.

I do understand what you mean about stigma though. But my current stance is that no-one need know unless it is directly relevant and requires more than a vague explanation. I've got by so far by being elusive and "eccentric"

As someone who has been assessed recently, in the UK, I can say that I was super-crazy anxious about it but it's a (relatively) straight-forward assessment and much of my worry was unfounded.

I hope your process is smooth and as worry-free as it can be!

I can imagine that it's extremely jarring.

I think that's definitely the way to look at it, though. Even when a diagnosis is correct -- if it's dragging you down or making you redefine yourself in a restrictive way then it's clearly not serving its purpose.

That sounds like a decent plan. It's a shame that we feel we have to hide things like this but sometimes when people clearly don't know what to do with the information it can seem like the best option for the time being.

Thanks for the reassurance. :) I'm not too worried about the assessment though, luckily - just hopeful that things might change for the better.

Best wishes for the new year

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm

Hello and welcome to Wrong planet!

DJSpiff
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2017, 6:11 pm

Hi! I like hoverboarding and DJ'ing/producing dance music. Recently working on diagnosis myself.