Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:43 pm

I'm looking for reviews and recommendations from anyone who has tried out the squease vest. I got some money for Christmas, and was thinking about putting that towards the vest, but it's almost $400, so I want to make sure it's worth it before buying. If any of you have had success with any similar deep pressure, non-weighted products, do let me know, thanks!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:47 pm

Following

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 5:08 pm

Why not wear a compression sports t-shirt from underarmour? It is a hella lot cheaper.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 5:42 pm

True, but I like the idea of being able to control the pressure, to have it when I need it, and not when I don't, because otherwise the body adapts to the constant pressure and it loses its effect. Also, I find that tight clothing is never tight enough, it doesn't provide enough of a squeeze to be effective for me.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 5:03 pm

Would chest binders be suitable for your purpose? I know they're usually for transgender/cosplay purposes but I've heard they're very tight.

However, and especially if you have large breasts they can be dangerous if too tight.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 5:14 pm

My first thought is wow, that's expensive.
That said, your sensory issues are different than mine ...
in fact, probably opposite.
My clothes always feel too tight,
so I buy them two or three sizes too big
and let them drape around me without touching my skin
anymore than they absolutely have to ...

So if this squeeze vest really works
and you have the money,
might be a good investment.

Considering the opinions of others here about different alternatives,
underarmour, corsets, etc. ...
hard for some of us to give you guidance though,
sine we're all so unique.

Anyways, Merry Christmas! :)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
True, but I like the idea of being able to control the pressure, to have it when I need it, and not when I don't, because otherwise the body adapts to the constant pressure and it loses its effect. Also, I find that tight clothing is never tight enough, it doesn't provide enough of a squeeze to be effective for me.

Look into other options as well, (one is t-jacket or snug vest) or similar. If it is that expensive it is much better to be sure you want it instead of just getting one.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 7:26 pm

also maybe get a clearance squease vest?
http://www.squeasewear.com/shop/clearance-vests/

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 5:57 pm

Good ideas, thanks for the advice everyone! Phoenix, I have trouble with my clothes being too tight too, I need them to be loose and non-constricting because otherwise I just find them irritating and uncomfortable. Tight clothes like skinny jeans and form-fitting tops aren't like pressure garments, they don't squeeze, they just cling, and I hate that.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm

I have both a weighted vest and a squease vest. I much prefer the squease vest, though I haven't any other pressure jackets to compare it too.

It can be a little annoying with a bra on, but if you're flat chested or not wearing a bra it's great. It's great to be able to vary the pressure because you can put it on before you go out and only pump it up when needed. And of course you can choose how tight you want it. I generally where mine a little tighter than advised as I prefer it with the velcro tighter. It doesn't give you a backache from overuse and is very light to transport in a bag.

With my weighted vest, I found that it was best when standing - when leaning on anything the weights didn't hang as much and create the pressure I wanted. Because the vest tightens, it works regardless. I also like to deflate it as it has a kind of, like a sigh feeling inside me, and then I reinflate it and I find that's quite effective for re-setting my body getting used to the pressure.

You can detach the pump at any inflation level which is useful if you don't want it dangling.

It can get a little hot in the summer - especially as it's plasticy, but it is lighter than any weighted vest I've seen and thinner than velcro pressure vests.

If you can afford it (and are concerned about it), then I would suggest one of the jackets that zips in the vest. I have yet to buy one but apparently the pump fits nicely into the pocket and you can take it off discretely.

If I'm trying to sleep in it (which I don't do often), I only half inflate it for comfort. But I don't use it the whole night as I prefer to sleep naked so that clothes aren't touching me.

I got a clearance vest - they come with the same warranty as the full price ones. I think mine is not the latest model as a result but it works brilliantly. I think it's one of the best things I've invested in (though I funded mine through DLA and birthday money) but obviously, if you don't have that kind of money spare it's not an option unfortunately.

I would add that the hidey for the top of the zip is not entirely unobtrusive under clothing - but I hate baggy clothes so it might be different under a hoody to a thin jacket. Or, you know, the official jacket.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

PaulAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 12:51 pm

I have one and I love it. A few comments.

I. I'm adult-diagnosed ASD (clinical in my 30s - I always knew I was a little different but reject labels like this for years) and I take care of myself and a job pretty well for an adult let alone a clinically diagnosed autistic. I was diagnosed because I failed in one job and the organization switched me to more of a desk job - a slight demotion but far better than getting fired - but suggested a psychological evaluation thinking maybe Asperger's. (I work in a field that's a special interest and know the content better than probably 95% of the others in the field so I'm a valued employee, but wasn't good at a job that involved a lot of social interaction in this field.)

2. Due to 1, I liked this over the T-Jacket or snug vest as I can wear it between my undershirt and my professional clothes and inflate as needed at work (they recommend keeping it to 20 minutes every 2 hours except in emergencies).

3. I've been using in 7 months and the only negative thing is that the pump seems to have slowly developed a slow leak so if I want full pressure for more that 3 minutes I need to detach the pump which can be a little awkward if it's under my clothes (especially if I'm out in public which is when I most need it). I'm going to look into buying a replacement for this - it's about $20 vs $350 for the vest.

4. I also wear 1-size too small compression clothes from time to time but usually only when I notice my stress is high or when I foresee a high-stress day (I work in a home office over half the time and mainly with small groups beyond that but occasionally I'll be out in public all day, like at a convention).

EDIT: clarity in #4

Professionally diagnosed January 2016 in my mid-30s. I always knew I was a little different but always thought it was quantitative not qualitative and I don't like labels I don't need. Now I finally understand a lot I didn't before. (Technically now called ASD in the USA but I really don't care about autistic v aspie for terminology.)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm

Thanks guys. I think I've decided I'm going to go for it. It's expensive, but I consider it an investment. I think that kind of deep pressure from a garment that can be easily hidden under other clothing will be of considerable benefit at work. My work can be stressful at times and I've already had two near-meltdowns and one actual meltdown in the eight months I've been there. I'm fortunate that I work at a place whose purpose is to provide services and supports for disabled people, so my colleagues know what they're dealing with, and my work partner provides deep pressure squeezes when I need them, but she's not always around, and I often need the pressure for 20 minutes or more, which is impractical when someone is hugging you. I like the look of the sweater that the vest can be zipped into as well, so I might consider it for non-work days (I can't really wear hoodies to work; they're not professional enough). I'm going to an out-of-town training/gathering type event later in the month, and the traveling, the novelty of the location, and the large crowd of new people are exactly the sort of setup that trigger my meltdowns, and exactly the sort of situation in which deep pressure is most needed, so fingers crossed that it works as well as it claims to!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 7:40 pm

*Update*

So, my squease vest finally arrived yesterday (bit of a complication with shipping; ordered the wrong size, sent it back, the right size was out of stock, so I had to wait a bit for that). Anyway, I wore it to work today, and I have to say, I kind of love it. I layered it over a blouse and under a sweater vest, and with the pump detached, no one noticed anything at all. I just kept the pump in my pocket and inflated the vest when no one was around, and it worked perfectly. It does make kind of a plasticky crinkling sound when I move or bend over, but nothing I think most people would notice. It's so lightweight and breathable that I managed to wear it comfortably all day (about ten hours). It definitely works for its intended purpose; I had rather a stressful meeting this morning, and was feeling drained and irritable by the end of it, but when I inflated the vest, it felt just like a hug, and I managed to relax and keep going. I like to inflate it to full capacity, so that it's hard for my lungs to expand all the way (probably not good for me, but it feels great!), but even when it's uninflated, it still adds just a little bit of pressure, like a lightweight armour that makes me feel that much more protected. I'll be wearing it to my grad school interview next week, hopefully it'll go a ways towards calming my nerves!

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:31 pm

I have a flexible steel boned corset made out of a breathable mesh/net material that's good for pressure and is light weight. You can make it as tight as you want by pulling the strings or you can easily loosen it if needed by undoing the laces. It was only $50. You need to have flexible arms to work with it though.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 11:31 am

I returned mine on the basis that it had no effect on me at all. I do, however, have a squeeze blanket but I seldom use it.

The prices of sensory-related products are extortionate.

I paid £205 for an adult's squeeze vest and £150 on my squeeze blanket. 8O

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 9:16 pm

Yeah, the prices really are unfair. It's like they can triple the price of an item just by adding the term "therapy" or "[specific disorder]" to the title. My mom made my weighted blanket for me, because I wanted one for my birthday but she didn't want to spend $150+ on a blanket. It really is taking advantage of an already vulnerable population and their parents.