Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 6:16 am

SpaceCase wrote:
About 2 weeks back,I was visiting my friends at my old shcool,and I ended up talking w/ this guy who was new to the group.I learned that he has ADHD,Depression,and Social Anxiety.I told him that I was bipolar and that I had Asperger's and he said,"Oh,my f***ing God!THAT'S why everyone hates you.You're f***in' insane!"A few days ago he said,'I feel sorry for you."I said,"Why?"He said,"Because you're insane."

Then he called me not too long ago and apologized for what he said.BUT do you know what he said to me?He siad,"I'm sorry that I called you insane.Insane people don't believe that they're insane,so I shouldn't have told you that you were."

Remember how I said that I take crap off people for so long?Well,I told him that I WASN'T insane,and that Asperger's was jsut a neuroligical disorder and bipolar disorder doesn't make you insane.AND I told him to stop pitying me.And he said,"Yeah,you're right I shouldn't pity you.But you've got to understand that you're not like everyone else and you need help-BAD."Then he hung up.

What do y'all think of that?

-SpaceCase :x

Bipolar --- May be unreasonably happy or depressed.
Aspergers --- Harmless quirks, possible, but not significant, deficiencies in intelligences other than social with likely excesses of intelligence elsewhere. Poor Social skills, possible poor coordination.

So how does that mean you are insane by ones general understanding of the term?

By the DICTIONARY term, I guess everyone is insane!

HECK he said he has "ADHD,Depression,and Social Anxiety"! How is that better than what you have? Sounds like HE is insane!

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 9:13 am

Spacecase,

Somehow my response got lost. That jerk is DELUSIONAL! HE needs help BAD! Maybe you should explain it to your other friends. AS isn't even anything anyone else has to know about. You can still do just as well, and perhaps better, at non social things. As for bipolar, that is YOUR problem, nobody elses. You may be unreasonable happy or depressed. It IS a problem, but none of THEIR concern.

BTW THIS is why I am THROUGH trying to expose the warts on my life to help others feel better about theirs. It ALWAYS ens up this way with me. You may end up finding the same.

Steve

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 11:29 pm

ah, I only ever receive pity from women when they learn I never had a girl friend. I don't care for their pity unless I'm attracted to her and she's willing to give me a pity lay.

Alvin_Munk
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2009, 3:12 am

SpaceCase wrote:
Does anyone here get mad over pity?I do,but I can't help that.
I've had some people pity me nad treat me like I'm a baby.Well,d*mmit,I'm a friggin human being too!

Humans are inferior beings.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 5:14 am

I've been studying communication skills recently and found this quote:

Quote:
Patronising the speaker is the greatest enemy of equality in conversations…

It can be subtle: patronising behaviour often covers itself in the guise of being caring or supportive. But it stops people thinking for themselves…

You can’t patronise somebody and pay them close attention at the same time.

Treat the other person as equal and you won’t be able to patronise them.

I've been pitied like this in the past about AS and when I have, it hasn't even been constructive or helpful. That's why I tend to keep quiet about AS now.

There are severely "disabled" folks in the family and I talk to them just like I would anyone else. It's utterly baffling. The general public seem to go into "pity/patronising mode" as soon as they see members of my family :roll:.

Maybe the public see disability as "not normal", but it is "normal" to me because I have frequent contact with these family members. That's why I don't see them as "weird" or "broken" like the "average Joe in the street" seems to.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 5:36 am

SteveK wrote:
Spacecase,

Somehow my response got lost. That jerk is DELUSIONAL! HE needs help BAD! Maybe you should explain it to your other friends. AS isn't even anything anyone else has to know about. You can still do just as well, and perhaps better, at non social things. As for bipolar, that is YOUR problem, nobody elses. You may be unreasonable happy or depressed. It IS a problem, but none of THEIR concern.

BTW THIS is why I am THROUGH trying to expose the warts on my life to help others feel better about theirs. It ALWAYS ens up this way with me. You may end up finding the same.

Steve

yeah, that guy is the one that needs help.

as for pity, it is totally irritating when they pity you to make fun of you. that isn't done to me much..

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 9:15 am

Interesting quote, AmberEyes.

Last night, someone unexpectedly dished out the pity. They told me they'd informed someone of my AS just in case they become too overbearing when we are introduced (being highly extroverted.)

They then relayed how the person informed had reacted to this information. They'd said "That's so sad." and that they now wanted to hug me, because I'd gone all my life experiencing distress at social overtures. The person telling me this agreed that it was indeed very sad. I really didn't know what to say to all that and was speechless; I'm not used to pity.

SpazzDog
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2009, 1:24 pm

I don't get pity, nor do I feel like I get respect. Instead, I often feel humiliated for not being able to react normally and get the impression that I instead get the derision from everyone else. I don't like pity, but I'd rather get pity than derision. At least with pity people try and understand and sympathize. When you're derided you're a "lost cause" and people ignore you or try to avoid you.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

Haven't had pity but its opposite

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

I went to a meeting the other week, and I said to the guy "I have my partner with me as I have Aspergers". His response: "Oh I'm sorry to hear that" then started talking to me slowly as if I'm a child. They must think we're incapable of understanding.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 12:59 pm

Well I don't strive for pity, but I am not exactly offended if someone feels bad for me for some reason...if it makes sense, I mean like if my one of my cats died and someone expressed sympathy I would not be bothered. I don't care if people acknowledge being significantly disabled enough not to work kind of sucks and have some form of pity towards me being in that situation..........But on the other hand I certainly wouldn't want to be treated like a baby or like I cannot do anything at all, that would be annoying...or having people constantly feeling sorry for me would be annoying and would likely stress me out as then I'd be caught up in trying to find ways to make them quit worrying about me.

I think people being condescending would make me more angry than most any pity someone might express, or if its condescending pity then that would be infuriating as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 1:10 pm

vetivert wrote:
i agree with hale bopp - people who are victims and won't take responsibilities for themselves, their thoughts, actions and life in general, make me incredibly angry. and that's personal AND collective responsibility.

That doesn't really make sense, most people are a victim of something at least once in their life and people don't choose that, random chance does. I could see being bothered by people who wont take responsibility for themselves, in areas they are able to....but seems a little harsh to have anger towards anyone who's a victim of something. I mean that's like telling someone 'something bad happened to you so I am now very angry with you' or 'you're so inconsiderate for not making me a sandwich even though you just got out of the hospital and are in pain from that car accident you suffered'.

Or maybe you are talking about people that act like they are a victim when they aren't...in which case those individuals would be annoying, and personally I feel kinda mocked when people behave that way because I have PTSD from trauma there is nothing great about having endured something horrid and thus being a victim of that...but I also don't want a bunch of pity for it. One example of what angers me is when religious people try to act like victims of constant persecution when in reality its more like they are pushy about their views and it turns people off from them.