Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:02 pm

Translated FRB sequence 1:

"Our overuse of the phlogiston to power our habitats and starships has caused the early nova syndrome in all our home stars. Any major spacefaring civilization please respond. If we are not rescued within 1.4x106 minutes, extinction will occur."

Translated FRB sequence 2:

"Sorry about the interference. There is a distress call from a long dead civilization on this freq. As soon as your [no translation] is repaired, get off this open channel. The enemy can hear us on this freq, too. Retreat to position [no translation] and execute alternate plan."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:22 pm

"Please ignore our son Gravitron, he was asked not to play with a radio transistor in the national Alpha-4 museum of prehistory"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:24 pm

ZenDen wrote:
pcuser wrote:
It would be really cool to be able to determine that these bursts are from extra-terrestrials. However, unless these signals contained vast amounts of information, it will do us no good beyond knowing we aren't alone. It would take billions of years for a one way transmission. A tough conversation at best...

We should remember that we're just in the beginning of our time as tool using entities. We're learning at a good pace but find there are always more and more complexities to learn. For us to discover hidden information in these transmissions is no great stretch of the imagination. I fully expect/hope we will.

Earlier I asked: "What type of civilization would send a 3 billion year old message which says simply "WE ARE HERE?"

We may not have grown up enough, as a species, to answer that question properly. But if this is true (and there are also signals from many other areas in the constellation as well) then perhaps it's an invitation into the family of intelligent species? I'd imagine ALL species have the same questions.

To send a message 3 billion light years away (and to be realistic this might have been meant for someone much closer to the sender) with no expectation of an answer, must mean it is a message with significant content and meaning.

It awakens my inner (and outer) space explorer. :)

You may be right!

NASA just translated the message.

The aliens are saying: "We are a highly evolved civilization that has existed for millions of years, and we have explored every corner of our home galaxy of a 100 billion stars. From all the ages and explorations we have distilled down all of our wisdom and experience down to this: the three most important pieces of wisdom. We are now broadcasting these three most important pieces of wisdom to all other sentient beings in the universe. We will broadcast these three greatest pieces of wisdom, once, and only once.

Here they are. The three greatest pieces of wisdom:

1) Always brush after every meal.

2) Never go swimming until at least one hour after you have eaten.

3) Never run with scissors.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 7:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:
"Please ignore our son Gravitron, he was asked not to play with a radio transistor in the national Alpha-4 museum of prehistory"

"If you cannot take proper care of your pets, Trelane, then you cannot play with them at all."
:D :mrgreen:

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

Adamantium wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

"If you cannot take proper care of your pets, Trelane, then you cannot play with them at all."
:D :mrgreen:

Getting into your deep seated Star Trek geek?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:37 pm

Live long and prosper, pcuser.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 1:28 am

Much later...

Translated FRB sequence 3:
WTH mom that wasn't me

Translated FRB sequence 4:
Oh crap Gravitron! I forgot we are ghosts communicating on radio transmission waves

Translated FRB sequence 5:
Cool! lets have some fun with the earthlings :twisted: