Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 8:04 am

I have a form of Joubert Syndrome. Here's a blog written by somebody who has it: The Rare Writer

I read again that one part of Joubert involves muscle weakness (ataxia), so I don't know if I should give up my dreams of being jacked, because God hates me (and I wish he'd get a taste of his own medicine). I just want to be assured that my dreams aren't hopeless.

I even tried, and I been deemed unfit to use free weights without harming myself or anybody else. Sadly, free weights are the only effective choice.

Sorry for my ranting.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 10:38 am

Just use body weight exercises.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

Maybe.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 1:18 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Maybe.

Definitely. Bit by bit there is no way you can't get stronger if you do bodyweight exercises and fuel yourself with muscle building protein and other nutrients.

I've done more than 60,000 push-ups in the last year and a half. I'm quite a bit bigger and WAY stronger for it. Even if all you do are push-ups you'll gain strength and definition. Add in some squats, situps/crunches, pull-ups etc and you can workout your entire body w/o any additional weight besides your own.

ProudBoy505
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

By "unfit to use free weights" is it an issue with motor control or is it the pressure on the joints and/or muscles? I may have missed something in the details, but it doesn't sound as if you have to avoid lifting all together. If there is an issue with coordination or something, you need not worry. If you stick to a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength , you could start off fairly light but with consistency, you'll build phenomenal strength using basic compound lifts, and following the progressive overload principal. Don't give up on being jacked.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 2:06 am

What ProudBoy said, but do know you could use machines and a healthy, protein and calorie heavy diet to gain muscle.

The machines aren't ideal but they aren't useless, and if anything their best purpose imho is for injury rehab or special circumstances such as your own.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 10:09 pm

Yes, I think it is a motor issue. I have a condition where part of the brain that controls balance and coordination hasn't been completely formed. I hope because of that, it doesn't stop me from wanting to have more muscle.

I've been restricted to those TRX-machines at the gym by my staff, they are also saying that I should avoid any free weights. I feel ret*d because 1. they are actually trying to control what I can/can't do and can't reason with it, and 2. I feel like I have some insurmountable restriction that's preventing me from using barbells and dumbbells. Every source I researched online says machines are evil and should be avoided for gaining muscle.