Page 11 of 42 [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 42  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
I find it curious that there is such hostility toward welfare in a community in which many members are on SSI or SSDI.

What would happen to people who rely on such income if welfare were suddenly eliminated?

They did a little experiment in this area in the UK that we could all learn from.

I've also wondered end about that.I have no idea of the percentage of WP members that receive assistance,I know I receive it.People here already have the stigma of being different,then we get referred to as lazy mooches on top of it.Id suggest that the non autistic people who think it's so easy to get a job and keep it to do this little experiment.Turn on the tv loud enough to be annoying,then a radio,then put on the most uncomfortable itchy tight clothing you have,then make an important phone call where you have to pay attention, and do long division at the same time.Do it for eight hours.Thats what it like for some with sensory problems,it's just too much coming in.
What jobs does one suggest we do?
Then there actually has to be a job opening,an open minded employer willing to work with the disabilities.Sure some high functioning people have no problem finding a good job.Especially the tech savvy ,but they are a minority.
What would truly be nice if there were more work from home jobs.I'd be up for that,and I bet most people here would be.
I also wonder why people aren't mad at the doctors that help people get SSI.You don't just get it by asking.Most of the time an applicant needs a pile of medical documents that go back years.The majority of physicians are not going to write up phony papers for someone.
So instead of blaming the people that receive it,why not blame the doctors that make it possible?

Everyone on SSI is not Aspie. A lot of Aspies here work in libraries. I work nights because I can't take the noise and people of days. It's a spectrum, right? NT's have some of the same anxiety symptoms, fibromyalgia pain, etc. Lots of Aspies here go to school and college. Most here are high functioning. I don't understand why people here are so quick to dismiss Aspies as not able to be productive in society. Several here are tons smarter than most NT's I have met. Maybe, I just choose to think a person is not disposable just because they have an affliction. To me, once a person is placed on SSI, society is pretty much saying that person is not necessary or needed. I prefer to keep hope in someone.

I am aware that SSI isn't just for Aspergers.This is an Aspergers forum,so there are aspies here that receive it.There is one library here and it's not open at night.Nothing is open at night here,it all closes around eight.You'd drive an hour if you needed gas.A library would be my dream job,I love the smell of books.Its a sweet tannin smell like dried leaves,and the quiet.My sanctuary in school.Where you live may have many job options,some areas just don't.There are sawmills here that usually are hiring,but you better be in prime shape to work there.You won't get the cushy job,like fork lift becuse they never quit.You be catching cross ties,lumber and slabs.So for people with physical disabilities like a bad back,that job is out of the question.All the good jobs like county,electric,phone etc..those people are lifers.They won't quit till its retirement time.Then one of their relations will replace them.Its how it rolls here.

You don't know how many here are high functioning.They may post brilliantly,but be nonverbal in RL.
I think of SSI as more along the lines that we live in a society that doesn't want people to starve or be homeless.
Provide jobs that special needs can do and you'll have more people seek employment.But there's this stigma thing,if you tell an employers you have a disability like a mental illness or autism they become fearful of a person that is "different."Just like some people won't hire people of color.
Seriously,I try to think of some way I can make money.I love to garden but one person can't really grow enough extra to sell and make enough to get off SSI.Ive got some ideas for things to sell to the tourists,but I doubt it will be enough where I could sustain myself.

I'm not sure what drugs you are talking about,I take Ativan and a whole Lexapro.That's to keep me alive,it doesn't cure me by any means.I had "Sylvia Plath" depression.The Bell Jar describes it to a T.You should read it sometime,it's a good read.Not being sarcastic,just if you like to read.

Thank you for taking time to explain more. Can you work at a garden place?

I read that book in middle school. I'll see about it again.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

cathylynn wrote:
and, no, SSI payments are just over $700 per month, not enough to discourage work. i know this due to having been a social worker. it's not what i received.

You were a social worker too? All of those are high stress jobs Cathy.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
You might be on to something.One thing I've noticed growing older is its getting harder to be around people and not burn out.I don't really want to talk in the evening,and going to an event with lots of socializing just wears me out.Its not fun,even with people I like.That could be in the future for some of them,I think it's referred to as Aspie Burnout.

It's always been like that for me when it comes to dealing with people and situations. Sometimes on a weekday after dealing with work and anything else that needed done that day totally fries my brain. Sometimes I just have to sit in a quiet room by myself with no TV, no music, no computer or phone, no nothing and just chill out.
But some days at work and/or other activities are rather pleasant.

Either way, the next day I pry my ass out of bed and go do it all again...

Hopefully you will be able to continue doing it.I was suppose to go to work one day and it was like the door just slammed shut in my mind.You couldn't have beat me into going.I would have just taken the beating.I did'nt even give notice or talk to my boss.My ex went in and talked to him.Six moths later I went back to work at the same place.Then a few more months it happened again.Its none of my business what age you are,but watch out around forty.Maybe it won't happen to you and you will keep plugging on.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
a subset of the dunning-kreuger effect that people don't think about, is its corollary- very high functioning people all too often don't grok why lower functioning people can't just jerk themselves up by their own bootstraps or "cowboy up" and just magically "get with the NT program." they refuse to understand that some people just are not up to that task. i am beginning to think that it is a matter of them seeing people like us and being scared that they [the ones who say "i could NEVER end up like that!"] too could one day end up like us, so they attack us in anger for reminding them of that possibility. projection.

You might be on to something.One thing I've noticed growing older is its getting harder to be around people and not burn out.I don't really want to talk in the evening,and going to an event with lots of socializing just wears me out.Its not fun,even with people I like.That could be in the future for some of them,I think it's referred to as Aspie Burnout.
I peaked with being able to handle it late thirties.Now it's all downhill.Thank goodness for Internet shopping.I can get it all online except for a few things.

i definitely had the aspie burnout, I was finished for several years, I could do nothing but sit like a lump and stare off into the distance. and when I have to make my frontal lobes do more around people, I get right back into that mess. i'm done.

That burnout is no joke, its terrifying to feel yourself reduced to such a level too; people seemed to think all I needed was a pep-talk to get going again, but if that was the case, I would've given myself the pep-talk. I think welfare in conjunction with education would go a long way, people like me can't work and go to school at the same time, there just isn't enough to go around. Do you have any opportunities to go to school?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:01 am

MDD123 wrote:
That burnout is no joke, its terrifying to feel yourself reduced to such a level too; people seemed to think all I needed was a pep-talk to get going again, but if that was the case, I would've given myself the pep-talk. I think welfare in conjunction with education would go a long way, people like me can't work and go to school at the same time, there just isn't enough to go around. Do you have any opportunities to go to school?

i will reply to you in PM :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:16 am

nurseangela wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
I find it curious that there is such hostility toward welfare in a community in which many members are on SSI or SSDI.

What would happen to people who rely on such income if welfare were suddenly eliminated?

They did a little experiment in this area in the UK that we could all learn from.

I've also wondered end about that.I have no idea of the percentage of WP members that receive assistance,I know I receive it.People here already have the stigma of being different,then we get referred to as lazy mooches on top of it.Id suggest that the non autistic people who think it's so easy to get a job and keep it to do this little experiment.Turn on the tv loud enough to be annoying,then a radio,then put on the most uncomfortable itchy tight clothing you have,then make an important phone call where you have to pay attention, and do long division at the same time.Do it for eight hours.Thats what it like for some with sensory problems,it's just too much coming in.
What jobs does one suggest we do?
Then there actually has to be a job opening,an open minded employer willing to work with the disabilities.Sure some high functioning people have no problem finding a good job.Especially the tech savvy ,but they are a minority.
What would truly be nice if there were more work from home jobs.I'd be up for that,and I bet most people here would be.
I also wonder why people aren't mad at the doctors that help people get SSI.You don't just get it by asking.Most of the time an applicant needs a pile of medical documents that go back years.The majority of physicians are not going to write up phony papers for someone.
So instead of blaming the people that receive it,why not blame the doctors that make it possible?

Everyone on SSI is not Aspie. A lot of Aspies here work in libraries. I work nights because I can't take the noise and people of days. It's a spectrum, right? NT's have some of the same anxiety symptoms, fibromyalgia pain, etc. Lots of Aspies here go to school and college. Most here are high functioning. I don't understand why people here are so quick to dismiss Aspies as not able to be productive in society. Several here are tons smarter than most NT's I have met. Maybe, I just choose to think a person is not disposable just because they have an affliction. To me, once a person is placed on SSI, society is pretty much saying that person is not necessary or needed. I prefer to keep hope in someone.

I am aware that SSI isn't just for Aspergers.This is an Aspergers forum,so there are aspies here that receive it.There is one library here and it's not open at night.Nothing is open at night here,it all closes around eight.You'd drive an hour if you needed gas.A library would be my dream job,I love the smell of books.Its a sweet tannin smell like dried leaves,and the quiet.My sanctuary in school.Where you live may have many job options,some areas just don't.There are sawmills here that usually are hiring,but you better be in prime shape to work there.You won't get the cushy job,like fork lift becuse they never quit.You be catching cross ties,lumber and slabs.So for people with physical disabilities like a bad back,that job is out of the question.All the good jobs like county,electric,phone etc..those people are lifers.They won't quit till its retirement time.Then one of their relations will replace them.Its how it rolls here.

You don't know how many here are high functioning.They may post brilliantly,but be nonverbal in RL.
I think of SSI as more along the lines that we live in a society that doesn't want people to starve or be homeless.
Provide jobs that special needs can do and you'll have more people seek employment.But there's this stigma thing,if you tell an employers you have a disability like a mental illness or autism they become fearful of a person that is "different."Just like some people won't hire people of color.
Seriously,I try to think of some way I can make money.I love to garden but one person can't really grow enough extra to sell and make enough to get off SSI.Ive got some ideas for things to sell to the tourists,but I doubt it will be enough where I could sustain myself.

I'm not sure what drugs you are talking about,I take Ativan and a whole Lexapro.That's to keep me alive,it doesn't cure me by any means.I had "Sylvia Plath" depression.The Bell Jar describes it to a T.You should read it sometime,it's a good read.Not being sarcastic,just if you like to read.

Thank you for taking time to explain more. Can you work at a garden place?

I read that book in middle school. I'll see about it again.

You're welcome.
None close by.There was an older couple here that had a small greenhouse and sold their plants in the Northwest AR metro area.Its suppose to have a great farmers market.They just retired so there is an opening.I want to see about getting a greenhouse built to start off veggies and flowers.I could set my own work times and not feel pressured.Its also therapeutic to dig in the dirt,ask any little kid.lol My daughter will be moving to that area in a year,so I'd have a base to work from.I wouldn't have to drive there and back home the same day(2 hours one way to that town).If I have to sit in a booth,sell stuff,and talk it will be exhausting and a long drive back is out of the question.Id be too anxious and exhausted to be a safe driver on these windy roads.The local food co-op has low interest loans for small organic farmers to start up with.There is a growing demand for fresh food.Also thinking about fencing a large area and getting some more chickens,fresh eggs are going for three dollars a dozen here.They aren't even certified free range or organic.
Years ago Country Living magazine featured a Ozark farmer that was growing and selling flowers at the market and making a decent living.Sounds nice.Its something I'm putting a lot of thought into.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
a subset of the dunning-kreuger effect that people don't think about, is its corollary- very high functioning people all too often don't grok why lower functioning people can't just jerk themselves up by their own bootstraps or "cowboy up" and just magically "get with the NT program." they refuse to understand that some people just are not up to that task. i am beginning to think that it is a matter of them seeing people like us and being scared that they [the ones who say "i could NEVER end up like that!"] too could one day end up like us, so they attack us in anger for reminding them of that possibility. projection.

I peaked with being able to handle it late thirties.Now it's all downhill.Thank goodness for Internet shopping.I can get it all online except for a few things.

i definitely had the aspie burnout, I was finished for several years, I could do nothing but sit like a lump and stare off into the distance. and when I have to make my frontal lobes do more around people, I get right back into that mess. i'm done.

Yup,the staring into the distance.Sometimes it was soothing to stare at the flicker of light on running water,light in tree leaves when wind moves them,insect wings in the sun light,floating dust particles.It was like turning your mind off.
Then all the noises got louder.I had to move a clock becuse the tick got so unbearably loud.Like the nerves are all on edge like an endless screech of fingernails on a black board.Just the sound of someone walking on the floor.You ever notice how loud some people walk??

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:51 am

I cannot dismiss out of hand, this particular dystopian future possibility-

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:49 am

auntblabby wrote:

We are already half way or more there. Based on his inauguration speech (and many others), this is the sort of dystopian future Trump is determined to turn America away from.

Datalis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2017, 2:03 am

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

We are already half way or more there. Based on his inauguration speech (and many others), this is the sort of dystopian future Trump is determined to turn America away from.

Hahahaha! Liberals take "America first" to mean Trump wants to destroy America by making America first. That makes sense. If you want to criticize his cabinet picks, that's one thing but this is absurd. "It's time to bring back jobs." OMG Trump wants to destroy America by bringing jobs back. Did we listen to the same speech? Maybe this forum has crossed over into some alternative universe.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:22 am

Datalis wrote:
EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Hahahaha! Liberals take "America first" to mean Trump wants to destroy America by making America first. That makes sense. If you want to criticize his cabinet picks, that's one thing but this is absurd. "It's time to bring back jobs." OMG Trump wants to destroy America by bringing jobs back. Did we listen to the same speech? Maybe this forum has crossed over into some alternative universe.

Well that's the thing. He's talking about factories rusting away because so much industry has been outsourced to other countries. The place in that video looks like places like Detroit these days. Trump is already bringing jobs back to America. It is like leftists are living in some bizarro mindset where they see things backwards and act completely contrary to their stated philosophy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:26 am

his speech is NOT how he will or can govern. you can't believe his every word.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:37 am

auntblabby wrote:

True. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in the meantime. Rather than taking a default attitude that he's already the worst president we ever had, that he should be impeached already, the endless Hitler comparisons, comparing a presidency that hasn't even started yet to things like the Holocaust and 9/11.

I'm not directing that at you dearest auntblabby (I really like you a lot if you don't mind my saying so) it's just the overall impression I get from all the sources I'm tapped into. And it really troubles me a lot.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:46 am

EzraS wrote:
Rather than taking a default attitude that he's already the worst president we ever had, that he should be impeached already, the endless Hitler comparisons, comparing a presidency that hasn't even started yet to things like the Holocaust and 9/11.

That's pretty much where I'm at, at least give the guy a change to legitimately screw up before getting hysterical.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:48 am

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

True. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in the meantime. Rather than taking a default attitude that he's already the worst president we ever had, that he should be impeached already, the endless Hitler comparisons, comparing a presidency that hasn't even started yet to things like the Holocaust and 9/11. I'm not directing that at you dearest auntblabby (I really like you a lot if you don't mind my saying so) it's just the overall impression I get from all the sources I'm tapped into. And it really troubles me a lot.

thank you :flower: I hope this doesn't bother you, but I just heard that the vegas oddsmakers give him 6 months.

Datalis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2017, 3:08 am

auntblabby wrote:

But that wasn't your argument, not that that statement you just made is true; however you were talking about his SPEECH.