Page 8 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 6:46 pm

Are we still mad at the millennials for having a differnent generalational experience than us?

Isn't it appalling that these young folks have never experienced the culture of the 20th century? So what if they weren't born yet. That's no excuse.

Do I need to add a sarcasm tag to this or is it sort of obvious?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 7:10 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Two interesting observations I have made from reading this thread:

1) You guys forgot Generation X. Everyone always forgets us. ;)
2) Most people seem to be assuming that the new generation (Generation Z/Post 9/11s) is going to be similar to Millennials. No one knows if that will be the case.

I had a generational finding in my thesis project, which may be what I will pick to submit for publishing.

90% of the Boomers in my study of 38 total people were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
68% of the Generation Xers were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
33% of the Millennials were occasional, former, or current supervisors.

This is a strong trend showing that right now, the older an autistic worker is, the more likely they are to be in authority. I don't know if this trend will continue as each generation ages. Gen X will eventually become the old people in the workplace and the new generation will be the newbies. If it DOES continue, it would suggest that as autistic people age, they become well-suited for authority. If it does NOT continue, it would suggest that Boomers were raised in a way that suited them for authority.

Older autistics have higher ranking jobs than do younger ones?

Well duhhhh!

Thats exactly what you would expect with ANY group of people.
The folks with more time in the workforce would be the ones in the higher positions.

If you had compared your stats with those of a similar group of NTs it would be less inane and meaningless.

Also I am a boomer and I dont have a supervisory job. I find it hard to believe 90 percent of aspies of any age are supervisors.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 7:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
Two interesting observations I have made from reading this thread:

1) You guys forgot Generation X. Everyone always forgets us. ;)
2) Most people seem to be assuming that the new generation (Generation Z/Post 9/11s) is going to be similar to Millennials. No one knows if that will be the case.

I had a generational finding in my thesis project, which may be what I will pick to submit for publishing.

90% of the Boomers in my study of 38 total people were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
68% of the Generation Xers were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
33% of the Millennials were occasional, former, or current supervisors.

This is a strong trend showing that right now, the older an autistic worker is, the more likely they are to be in authority. I don't know if this trend will continue as each generation ages. Gen X will eventually become the old people in the workplace and the new generation will be the newbies. If it DOES continue, it would suggest that as autistic people age, they become well-suited for authority. If it does NOT continue, it would suggest that Boomers were raised in a way that suited them for authority.

Older autistics have higher ranking jobs than do younger ones?

Well duhhhh!

Thats exactly what you would expect with ANY group of people.
The folks with more time in the workforce would be the ones in the higher positions.

If you had compared your stats with those of a similar group of NTs it would be less inane and meaningless.

Also I am a boomer and I dont have a supervisory job. I find it hard to believe 90 percent of aspies of any age are supervisors.

Thank you for your kind words, NaturalPlastic.

I haven't been in the best health lately. In fact, I've been in very poor health. Posts like yours don't exactly motivate me to continue my research.

Secretalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2017, 9:42 am

The tone of his comment was mean and unnecessary, but he does bring up a valid complicating issue; that people often enter into more supervisory positions as they get older and more experienced.

I think there's a solution, though! If you have your subjects give you their resume/career history, you'll be able to use that see when they took up a supervisory position and what kind of responsibilities they had. You can compare that across generations. You may also want to ask some NTs to also take part in your study as a control group. So then you'll be able to compare, for example, how likely are NT vs autistic persons to take up supervisory positions, and at what age, for each of your generational groups.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

Secretalien wrote:
The tone of his comment was mean and unnecessary, but he does bring up a valid complicating issue; that people often enter into more supervisory positions as they get older and more experienced.

I think there's a solution, though! If you have your subjects give you their resume/career history, you'll be able to use that see when they took up a supervisory position and what kind of responsibilities they had. You can compare that across generations. You may also want to ask some NTs to also take part in your study as a control group. So then you'll be able to compare, for example, how likely are NT vs autistic persons to take up supervisory positions, and at what age, for each of your generational groups.

I am currently conducting a study where I'm taking interview from autistics in high level positions.

You can't use controls in a qualitative study. Especially a grounded theory study. I'm studying subjective experiences and you can't compare subjective experiences. Controls are used for something like "X many NTs in supervisory positions are over 40 whereas Y many autistics in supervisory positions are over 40." I could do that, but not in this study. I'm gathering narratives, which I feel are more useful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 11:51 am

I would say there are, probably, less people on the Spectrum who are in supervisory positions in, say, their 50s, than their non-Spectrumite counterparts.

I was quite surprised at the 90% figure.

I've known quite a few civil service workers who seemed on the Spectrum to me, and who were not in a supervisory role at advanced ages, I amongst them.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2017, 4:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
College was not free unless you were poor but it was dirt cheap compared to today. But a lot of students worked to pay tuition. Housing prices were lower than today but so were salaries. Difference is a college degree was pretty much a guarentee of a good paying job (unless you were a minority, had a criminal record or undiagnosed autistic which were the vast majority of college grad autistics).

Well no doubt there were some elite places which charged more but at least in the UK the tuition fee went up in the 1990's and it kept going up from there; £1000 to £9000 per course year.

With housing, the point is that the prices went up higher than inflation. The key signifier of this is that the average age of a first-time buyer has been rising for many years.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

This is a very long thread, and I haven't bothered to read all of it. But I thought I'd share this link, which I think gives a good overview which I think jibes closely with my personal experience:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/good-thinking/201404/why-gen-x-doesnt-get-millennialsor-boomers

I should also point out that the above link resonates for me having spent my life in the US. I might mention the OP is Canadian. The 1980s, which most Gen-Xers would remember as their formative years, were dominated politically in the US by President Ronald Reagan (doctrinaire traditional conservative). During the same time period, Canada was ruled first by the Liberals and then by the Progressive Conservatives (center-right according to Wikipedia). So it must have been a quite different experience.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

That article was very interesting. It made me think if Family Ties was still going and Alex Keaton had a son that son would be a left leaning millenial who quarrels with his dad and agrees with his grandfather.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
That article was very interesting. It made me think if Family Ties was still going and Alex Keaton had a son that son would be a left leaning millenial who quarrels with his dad and agrees with his grandfather.
The Family Ties situation is non-typical as it depicts early baby-boomers who also had kids at an early age, so they have a Gen-X son. I am, I suppose, a mid-baby-boomer (born in 1952) and my kids are Millennials, so the article definitely applies to me. My brother-in-law is a Gen-Xer whose kids are young adolescents. I have no idea what that generation will be like as adults.

Two things from the article that made the biggest impression on me:
1.) It says Gen-Xers (in the US of course) are considerably more comfortable being in positions of authority than are either Baby Boomers or Millennials.
2.) It points out that most of those involved in the decisions on Wall Street, that led to the Great Recession, were Gen-Xers. Now that could be mostly attributed to the fact that they would have been at the appropriate age to be in a position to make those decisions. But it could also be that those decisions were heavily influenced by the naked greed that was fashionable in the US at the time they were growing up i.e. the philosophy espoused by Gordon Gekko in the Wall Street film.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 8:56 pm

I am just going to say it now, us millennial are somewhat the product of previous generations. And we're just trying to make the world a better place and figure our lives out just like all the past generations.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am just going to say it now, us millennial are somewhat the product of previous generations. And we're just trying to make the world a better place and figure our lives out just like all the past generations.

Now this is the first sensible thing I've heard about Mille oaks!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 3:48 am

MaxE wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
The Family Ties situation is non-typical as it depicts early baby-boomers who also had kids at an early age, so they have a Gen-X son. I am, I suppose, a mid-baby-boomer (born in 1952) and my kids are Millennials, so the article definitely applies to me. My brother-in-law is a Gen-Xer whose kids are young adolescents. I have no idea what that generation will be like as adults.

Two things from the article that made the biggest impression on me:
1.) It says Gen-Xers (in the US of course) are considerably more comfortable being in positions of authority than are either Baby Boomers or Millennials.
2.) It points out that most of those involved in the decisions on Wall Street, that led to the Great Recession, were Gen-Xers. Now that could be mostly attributed to the fact that they would have been at the appropriate age to be in a position to make those decisions. But it could also be that those decisions were heavily influenced by the naked greed that was fashionable in the US at the time they were growing up i.e. the philosophy espoused by Gordon Gekko in the Wall Street film.
I see. One thing I found a bit strange in the article that you would have better related to is when it described millenials and their baby boomer parents. I have Gen-X parents. I was born when they were in their 20s. I think of the Baby Boomers as being my grandparets generation. My grandparents are slightly earlier than the baby boom. The war ended when they were in kindergarten.

My dad is like a failed version of Alex Keaton. Very ambitious but none of his plans ever bear fruit. He's now living in poverty. My mum is nothing like Alex Keaton. She never had an atom of ambition yet she can manage her finances in better. She's living in relative comfort.

I'm sure mum used to watch Family Ties. It's strange to think she was a teenager for more than half of the 80s. It seems so recent.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

androbot01 wrote:
I fear I am reaching the age when I am able to lament the lack of acumen in this new generation. They seem to dismiss any learning that came before then and instead look to their self-expression as a guide to success.

This is especially the case with regard to attitudes to autism. The struggles I went through as an undiagnosed child are dismissed by the younger generation, who seem not to understand what people in the past have gone through. That's to be expected I suppose, but I don't appreciate being marginalized because of this.

When I grew up there was no internet, no personal computers, there were only 4 channels on TV. I can't even imagine going back to this. The new technology has changed the way we communicate and it's great. The new generation does not know of a time before the internet and do not have any appreciation for it.

The lack of critical thinking of this generation, which is demonstrated on WP all the time, kinda scares me. Everything seems to come down to individual expression which is a recipe for societal disaster.

When people write or say stuff like this (which is quite often for some reason) I am usually under the impression you either want something from the person you are saying this to, or, in your own mind, you're coming down from your pedestal in the clouds to come and show the younger 'mortal' generations the ways of life. I don't know if you consider me a Millennial or not but I find this sort of talk as being condescending and arrogant. As far as I know you could be either making it up or playing fiddle; I can think of plenty of things that people go through that are worse than this. It's one thing to have had hardships in life, it's another to use them as a club to beat someone else over the head especially if that person had nothing to do with you.

For the record, I grew up in a hostile dysfunctional community with no real connection to the outside world, schools that were garbage, employers that are crooked and a state government that borders on third world corrupt.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 11:10 am

Yeah, I was feeling frustrated when I created this thread. People do rely on the internet for information, some more critically than others. But yeah, generalizations are bad. My apologies.