I sit next to a lady who wants to talk to me all day long.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Darkrose50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2016, 11:19 pm

I sit next to a lady who wants to talk to me all day long.

She talks low so that I cannot hear her, and have to concentrate to listen to what she is saying.

She is always negative about everything. It is crazy annoying. No one is out to get her, or mess with her . . . we are here to make money for the company via working.

It is draining to have to talk to someone all day long face-to-face. I work on the phones so that I SPECIFICALLY don't have to do that.

Should I tell her that I have Asperger's Syndrome, and that talking to people face-to-face is draining, and that she talks so low that I need to concentrate on what she is saying, and that is draining?

A few conversations a day is fine, but constant small talk prattle is driving me nuts.

What do I do?

Ideas I would like to convey:
[1] Speak loudly so that I can hear you. If it is something that you have to whisper, then I do not want to hear it.
[2] If I am typing or reading, then let me be.
[3] Use my name and ask if I am free to talk. "Excuse me Rich, are you free?"
[4] Short conversations throughout the day are okay, but a constant barrage, or play-by-play, is crazy draining.
[5] Please do not complain to me all day about everything. Once or twice a day is okay, but not all day long.
[6] Leave me alone.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2016, 3:37 am

If she tries to talk with you again, just tell her, "Sorry <name>, I'm busy with this work at the moment." When you do talk, just ask her to speak a bit louder so you can hear her.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2017, 10:17 am

You don't really need to disclose your Asperger's here. Just tell her politely, and firmly, that you are here to work, and you can't concentrate on the work while talking or listening to her. If it doesn't work tell her again. You could also use body language: Not looking her in the eye while she's talking will make her understand that you're not paying attention. You can also cut conversations short by saying things like: "Oh well, that's a shame. Now, let's get back to work!"

If all else fails, tell your boss.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2017, 10:22 am

It seems like telling anything at all would be useless. People like that just need to talk. They will never respect you need for peace. Find her someone else to talk to, and you won't have to worry about her so much. Maybe your boss could move you to a different seat?