Inuits Inherited Cold Adaptation Genes from Denisovan

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 1:26 pm

Inuits Inherited Cold Adaptation Genes from Denisovan-Related Species

The scientists found that the variant is present at low-to-intermediate frequencies throughout Eurasia, and at especially high frequencies in the Inuits and Native American populations, but almost absent in Africa.

http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/inuits ... 04476.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

Interesting.

Makes me wonder when they will find an actual Denisovian skeleton.

They were discovered when a single finger bone was found in a west siberian cave. The DNA from the tiny bone showed that it came from a woman of a then unknown hominid species (kinda related to the Neanderthals, but distinct from both them, and from us moderns). Subsequently they constantly find Denisovian DNA in living humans in the eastern reaches of Eurasia (including tropical asia), and among native Americans. So the Denisovians, though extinct, left quite a legacy. And their little smidgeon of DNA apparently was vital to the survival of the modern Inuit.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 11:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Interesting.

They were discovered when a single finger bone was found in a west siberian cave. The DNA from the tiny bone showed that it came from a woman of a then unknown hominid species (kinda related to the Neanderthals, but distinct from both them, and from us moderns). Subsequently they constantly find Denisovian DNA in living humans in the eastern reaches of Eurasia (including tropical asia), and among native Americans. So the Denisovians, though extinct, left quite a legacy. And their little smidgeon of DNA apparently was vital to the survival of the modern Inuit.

I was surprised when the claimed a new species base on one finger, but I guess they have found a little more than that now.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 6:42 am

feral botanist wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Interesting.

I was surprised when the claimed a new species base on one finger, but I guess they have found a little more than that now.

Basically not

They found two teeth, and a toe bone, from other Denisovian individuals in different layers of the same cave. That's it.

From the tooth we know distinctive stuff about their teeth (their teeth were a bit archaic in ways that were similar to Homo Erectus and different from us and Neandethals). But there is as of yet no dramatic skeleton of a Denisovian person found yet to show us how they looked either in the face, or physique, the way have for other hominids like the Neanderthals.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 11:16 pm

I remember Denisovan DNA in Tibetans that helped them be able to handle a low oxygen.