Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 2:58 pm

Literally exhausted. I am always on edge about interacting with people because they so often surprise me with something negative.

I belong to a work-related email list, but I never posted until last night. The list is helpful, but I was afraid to get involved with the posters.

In response to my first post, someone mentioned the colors in my email. I have my email client set to gray text on black background because default colors hurt my eyes. I responded that other list users could set their email clients to override the sender's colors.

This idiot (who claims to be 70) then replied to say that I didn't want to communicate with people who had eye problems, assumed that I chose my colors for aesthetics, apparently ignored my advice, and passively aggressively told me "no hard feelings" and "happy new year."

Imagine being this stupid and immature at the age of 70. People are hopeless. The thing I feared came true (so much for my anxiety being a "disorder"). This ruined my day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:20 pm

Not all people are like that.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2017, 8:49 pm

I wouldn't let an idiot ruin my day.
I'd reply back with "LMAO, I have 20:20 vision, but poor taste in colours obviously."

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:06 am

I completely agree with you
HOWEVER
Many people see others the way you or me are seeing this. They cannot change because in the grand social web that makes up society, we all think we're perfect, ALL of us. It's really impossible to move beyond this delusion of us not being the problem. The only way to eliminate annoying immature people like the one mentioned in your email, or just genuinely difficult people, is by adapting and flowing with them. Another words you can set your own standards for how people annoy you and you have control over how you view them. Also, they almost always think that the other person is annoying not them, so 2 parties are thinking the same thing and that's when conflict happens. It seems rather Taoist to think of it this way but it really does work, because when you release the least amount of energy and work efficiently with other people, they'll notice your happiness and do the same, and perhaps change themselves because they will realize that your way of efficiency is working.

Though I'm one to talk, I'm still working on this attitude as well.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 2:01 pm

wrongcitizen wrote:
HOWEVER
Many people see others the way you or me are seeing this. They cannot change because in the grand social web that makes up society, we all think we're perfect, ALL of us. It's really impossible to move beyond this delusion of us not being the problem.

Actually, in this comment you are doing something similar to the guy I described in the OP: projecting thoughts onto other people.

This incident isn't just a matter of perspective. This person actually made an assumption that wasn't true, an assumption that I did not foresee. I gave him advice and he ignored it. How does one "adapt" and "flow" with a situation like that? It's hard for me to relate your comment to what I posted.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

wrongcitizen wrote:
HOWEVER
Many people see others the way you or me are seeing this. They cannot change because in the grand social web that makes up society, we all think we're perfect, ALL of us. It's really impossible to move beyond this delusion of us not being the problem. The only way to eliminate annoying immature people like the one mentioned in your email, or just genuinely difficult people, is by adapting and flowing with them. Another words you can set your own standards for how people annoy you and you have control over how you view them. Also, they almost always think that the other person is annoying not them, so 2 parties are thinking the same thing and that's when conflict happens. It seems rather Taoist to think of it this way but it really does work, because when you release the least amount of energy and work efficiently with other people, they'll notice your happiness and do the same, and perhaps change themselves because they will realize that your way of efficiency is working.

The idea sounds good but has flaws in practice;
Sociopaths can be mitigated by not reacting to their insinuated insults or purposeful irritations/harmful-time wasting actions, but they will make efforts to find a way to harm you. This can be good however if you pretend that something annoys you, getting them to focus their efforts on an area that does not annoy you in the slightest. You only say "x" annoys you to the sociopath in private, but give facial signals(frown or loss of smile)sociopath can see when with others - sociopath thinks he is winning.
I don't think everyone thinks they are perfect, while many people might ignore/not realise their faults there are many humble people. Certainly there are Naccissts & sociopaths.
The main issue is fickle people, they won't move forward. There is no progression, they act erratically, one day they believe one thing, the next it is something different. Diet fads are a classic example of this. Remember when Atkins was going to save humanity, but who is on that diet now? Paleo is the next big thing, wait isn't paleo on the decline, whats that new one - I can't keep up.
Shake diets were big for awhile, I asked my mum whatever happened to that, did it work? She said yes (hasn't lost any weight), but could not give a definitve reason for stopping it. She's moving through different ones now.
I offered her a simple exercise routine, 5min/day (only 5 days a week with holiday breaks too!) I'd even do it with her to help her start off and get onto the routine. She said she didn't have time! Have time to walk to the mailbox!
So you may see some people becoming more positive or saying they are doing x,y,z but they are only giving you lipservice. Change is difficult, especially ones mind. Keep your eye out for those that are willing to change, and give you evidence to support it.