Rabia Aytek - Autistic Musical Prodigy, teacher,advocate

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 1:09 am

Turkish girl with autism stuns as musical prodigy

Rabia plays twenty instruments and is the first autistic child to be accepted to the Istanbul State Music Conservatory and the Department of Music at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University with distinction. She was misdiagnosed as suffering from domestic trauma.

Quote:
After a five-year education at the Istanbul State Conservatory, she now continues her education as a guest student in the department of Turkish music in the same university. Rabia has performed in numerous concerts so far and dreams of being a music teacher. In 2015, she accomplished that as well, teaching music to students with disabilities whom she affectionately refers to as her "brothers and sisters," at the private Ayça Special Education School. She has big dreams for the future and hopes to release a solo album and also give a concert playing a white piano in a pink dress. Her biggest wish is to take the stage alongside Gülsin Onay.

"I set an example for my other friends with autism. I convey the message that they can also be successful in musical performance," Rabia says, adding that her dream is to open a music school. "I want to give performances in different concerts. I will fight for other people with autism from now on; not for myself. I am their voice and I am proud of it. They should not fall into despair."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2017, 9:32 pm

I always love reading stories about situations like this about people on the spectrum. That girl has a hell of a career ahead of her!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 11:06 pm

Great story and a very impressive person!