Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:14 pm

I just wrote the most asinine programming language to make a point, here's some code:

Quote:
Code C Left C \ C V I “ “

Code C V Code “Right V I ”

Code C V Code “ O C V Left V Right ”

O V Code

Guess what it does.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2017, 5:24 am

kicker wrote:
You're right it is really indecisive sounding.

If you don't have a clear vision of what you want, don't you think that it will be even more difficult to create? That it will be buggy?

You may want to try to find a project to join and get some experience as to what it takes to start from scratch. There are plenty of open source projects out there that would be ecstatic to have the help.

That sort of approach does cause one to encounter bugs along the way, but is generally the best way to start big things, you come up with an overall idea, presume everything will work, then go ahead and tackle the challenges and details as your further down the line. When an architect is designing the concepts for a skyscraper, they don't worry (much) about if it'll take the structural load of the floors above, or where the toilets will be. They just come up with an overall look for the building, and fine-tune that, then over time then go more in-depth with their designs, working out every little feature, which way a door will open, what regulations apply there, and so on. It's not necessarily the most efficient way to do projects, but even us non-NT's aren't machines! :P

Concept designs in nearly every field almost always lack any measurements, yet the concept is the first part that's done. There is a few reasons really why I'd say its done this way around. Firstly, if your just getting started on a project and end up seeing a list of a hundred problems and errors, you'll almost certainly give up, whereas when you get those errors slowly spread out, when more work has been put in, your sort of chained into the project via a contract of your minds making. Secondly, it's fine getting all little components that work, but if it doesn't all fit together, it'd be useless. When you look at a building, you don't think "Oh, that's a nice location for a door" when you first see it. You think "that's a nice building." Thats because the overall look of the building was designed first. Obviously, this isn't a concrete method of exactly how all projects should be done, a couple of details or requirements usually get worked out before the concept, such as "this person wants to be able to fully experience the views of the mountains in the distance" so the architect may well go ahead and ensure there concepts include large windows across the side the mountains are at, a sort of starting point to anchor the design to, but most of the details are decided in the end.

I know I want a language which can carry out a wide range of tasks, and that can perhaps adapt to different peoples writing styles, while functioning. When I start getting more in-depth, I'll worry about the syntax I utilise, and the lexical fields commands fall under. Then things like "will it be open source?" or "what will I call it?" can come at the very end, when the project is practically complete, those being the little finishing touches. I have the beginnings to my little anchor points, and the rest can then come along later.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

One last question.

Do you realize you have been talking to someone who has experience programming and you have pretty much proved you won't listen to anyone but yourself?

That I can tell you is not how anyone works towards a goal they want to accomplish that they need help with.

Good luck on your endeavors.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2017, 4:57 am

kicker wrote:
One last question.

Do you realize you have been talking to someone who has experience programming and you have pretty much proved you won't listen to anyone but yourself?

That I can tell you is not how anyone works towards a goal they want to accomplish that they need help with.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Well I shall at least thank you for the luck you wish me. I may not have made my own programming language yet, but I've had thorough conversations on the creation of algorithms for programs, explored through many small little languages, and done many of my own projects in the past. I suspect if nobody else comes forward, it'll be a good few months before I start, but from my experience of projects of all sorts of scales, it's a far more efficient approach, especially when I'm the one giving myself the specification. I would counter your question there, and that most people would not give in to the comments you've given. In fact you'd have to do a lot more to dissuade a person from their method of thinking than simply a few brief comments. All that I know of you in fact is that you're a person on this forum, who uses a different method to me. You popped onto a thread, and offered and opinion. I politely declined on being quite so decisive at this early starting point. That is hardly not listening to anyone but myself, I merely listened to you, but you, as a single passer-by, I chose to turn down your suggestion. If you wish to do a project your own way, the best advice if someone else won't do it your way, is to head-up the project yourself, and not attempt to enforce it upon others.

Good day to you good sir. I hope you succeed in whatever venture you may try.

-------------------
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm

If that's what you believe you diluted yourself.

I asked you questions. Pretty basic questions that most people with any experience in coding would be able to answer (if not in full) with a basic overview. You answered with a series of convoluted streams of consciousness. Which tells me that anyone joining your project would be doing the work for you only to get half way through and find it's not even remotely what you had in mind.

When offered suggestions to increase your knowledge and refine your idea, you retorted with examples (inaccurately) of other industries which do it your way.

My opinion is that you have this Hollywood vision of creating the next great thing. Sorry I don't deal in fanatasy nor will I encourage it. I will encourage you to learn more and try out new languages that may be better suited to your style of coding. Visit the local library, join a coding club, talk to people and expand your knowledge.

If you think that is harsh I apologize, sometimes reality is. However I hope it doesn't discourage you from pursuing learning and growing.

Again good luck with your endeavors.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2017, 12:11 pm

kicker wrote:
If that's what you believe you diluted yourself.

I asked you questions. Pretty basic questions that most people with any experience in coding would be able to answer (if not in full) with a basic overview. You answered with a series of convoluted streams of consciousness. Which tells me that anyone joining your project would be doing the work for you only to get half way through and find it's not even remotely what you had in mind.

When offered suggestions to increase your knowledge and refine your idea, you retorted with examples (inaccurately) of other industries which do it your way.

My opinion is that you have this Hollywood vision of creating the next great thing. Sorry I don't deal in fanatasy nor will I encourage it. I will encourage you to learn more and try out new languages that may be better suited to your style of coding. Visit the local library, join a coding club, talk to people and expand your knowledge.

If you think that is harsh I apologize, sometimes reality is. However I hope it doesn't discourage you from pursuing learning and growing.

Again good luck with your endeavors.

I'd respond that the examples of industries with at least widely use the same, or a similar approach, which I gave are accurate. Please, don't treat me as an ignorant fool. I would not attempt to feed you lies. Additionally, I was in a coding club for a while. Me and the only other member of it won the app design category in the BCS ChallengeIT regional competition in 2014.

My responses were not vague because of a lack of knowledge in most cases, although one or two bits I may well do further research into, just to clean up my knowledge of them. It is because I have not fixed in stone those aspects of what I would wish the language to be like. The responses I gave you, are to an extent convoluted streams of consciousness, that is because I see it more appropriate in this instance to give you my thought process, rather than spend an hour on refining some sort of proposal.

It is very much the process much of the architecture industry uses, both building architects and computer network architects alike. If it were a failed method, I'm failed confident my father wouldn't be a senior architect at HPE, and I've met multiple architects, perhaps not notable ones, but qualified architects in their own right, who use a very similar method. The car industry I cannot give any personal examples to give up, but from documentaries and the likes it would appear that again, a similar method is used. In product design, both at GCSE and A-Level, of which I'm currently doing A-Level, the same method is used. Refinements along both the further design, modelling, and final production stage are performed which decide the fate of small aspects. The concepts are just brief concepts. My concept designs which include an adjustable gearing system, lack any measurements at all. The axles to mount them are still being refined, but should be working now. The gears are functioning well. The mounting boards and struts are also functioning. All which are done to extreme precision.

You may work in a different method, it may work for you. That does not make my method invalid, or inefficient, just different.

So I would ask, that you simply stay with constructive criticism, and not resort to jibes nor attempts to flatter yourself and trample on others. I appreciated your questions, they raise attention to valid aspects, however your further points, I do not appreciate.

-------------------