Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 9:42 pm

My son (10) ate a bunch of grass and green onions today at school. His stomach hurts. Does anyone know what eating grass does to the body?

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 11:54 pm

Any clue what kinds of plants were in the grass?? There's not a whole lot that grows in lawn-type places that's poisonous in small amounts. If it was a grown-up, weedy place (what they call 'waste ground') then I might be a little more worried.

You don't have to be real specific, but what part of the country and about what latitude are you at??

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 12:41 am

I've been eating grass and taking bites out of leaves my whole life, I am a skincow it seems, my dogs have always eaten grass as it aids their digestion, I just love foliage and how it smells and tastes so fresh and dainty, I do partake in copious amounts of 'civilized' leafy vegetables so I put my love of the plant world into my diet too. Never had an issue with anything I've eaten outside, don't do it to an extreme degree, largely an occasional thing these days, when I was younger I'd eat a reasonable amount, never touched anything funky looking though. I sometimes worry about caterpillars going toilet on it but bugs fly in my mouth all the time and don't do any harm.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 9:16 am

I found out it was onion grass, which is completely edible. I think he just ate too much of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 9:48 am

What made him do that?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 5:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What made him do that?

I have no idea. He brought some home too. He says he just wanted to eat it.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 5:33 pm

It's pretty tasty, and a nice satisfying chew.

I used to eat sorrel by the handfuls. Now my daughter does. Enough work to pick those leaves off you're not gonna get sick on it.

An old friend's kid ate an entire planter of mint while visiting us once, then threw up. He was being a brachiosaurus.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 7:52 pm

I used to eat grass as a kid. My dad would tell tales of his days in Vietnam and once said he had to eat grass when the food rations had run out. I liked the taste and the texture of sedge grass. I liked to pretend I was a meerkat (yes, they eat grass too).