Trump asking Congress, not Mexico, to pay for border wall

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:46 pm

My experience working for the Feds is that we can not buy or hire from non-USA contractors, vendors or citizens.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jan 2017, 5:52 pm

How do you think Mexico was going to pay for it? It was always going to be tariff on imports or tax of remittance payments, it's pretty simple and getting it built ASAP is the main priority here. Federal funds stripped from sanctuary cities have also been talked about, you just get started so they have to finish it.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:56 pm

Jacoby wrote:
How do you think Mexico was going to pay for it? It was always going to be tariff on imports or tax of remittance payments, it's pretty simple and getting it built ASAP is the main priority here. Federal funds stripped from sanctuary cities have also been talked about, you just get started so they have to finish it.

The check is in the mail, really.

Has Trump ever not fulfilled his financial obligations in the past?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:57 pm

Honestly, as a Trump supporter, I'm not dumb - I knew that Mexico wasn't going to pay for any wall. The thought of Mexico paying for anything made me laugh. However, I do expect Trump to do something about the border wall and border security. If he doesn't follow through with his main campaign promises (the Wall, Obamacare, increasing nuclear weapons, etc.), then I will not be voting for him again. That is the difference between Democrats and Republicans, in my opinion - we don't vote for a candidate just because they are a certain party. I'm loyal to a person until I see that they aren't following through on their promises. You say you are going to do something - then do it and don't pussyfoot around.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:03 pm

Tariffs are a dirty word for the globalists who run our country but making Mexico pay for the wall that way is very very simple. What did people picture when Trump said he'd make them pay for the wall? Were you expecting a cash payment? The only time that has happened is with Iran and our sailors I think.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:04 pm

Another thing, a way to get Mexico to pay for something is to ship the Mexican Illegal prisoners right back to Mexico and let their government deal with them. You ship enough illegals back to Mexico, then the Mexican government is going to beg to be able to build the wall just to keep their own people out that they don't want or can't handle. Problem solved.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:09 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Honestly, as a Trump supporter, I'm not dumb - I knew that Mexico wasn't going to pay for any wall.

Watch for a simple tax on remittance payments to Mexico. Maybe even by executive order (since Obama set the executive-power example that Trump can now follow). And maybe also a rule that anyone making a foreign money transfer must be able to show they are in the country legally.

There Are Four Lights!

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:14 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Tariffs are a dirty word for the globalists who run our country but making Mexico pay for the wall that way is very very simple. What did people picture when Trump said he'd make them pay for the wall? Were you expecting a cash payment? The only time that has happened is with Iran and our sailors I think.

Most other production countries have stiff tariffs: Japan, Germany, France.

The problem with tariffs is that many of the people that own companies in the US also own part of companies based in other nations, so if we impose tariffs, wealthy people in the US will be unhappy.

Also with tariffs or charges on wire transfers, the penalty will be on a limited number of individuals who are Mexican citizens, not Mexico.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 8:25 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Another thing, a way to get Mexico to pay for something is to ship the Mexican Illegal prisoners right back to Mexico and let their government deal with them. You ship enough illegals back to Mexico, then the Mexican government is going to beg to be able to build the wall just to keep their own people out that they don't want or can't handle. Problem solved.

Trying to rationalize a liars statements???

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:26 pm

I heard Trump in an interview state how he will get Mexico to pay for the wall. Has anyone looked into what that stated plan is, rather than speculating about what it is?

I don't remember exactly what he said, but I believe it had something to do with Mexico's debt to the United States and a deal that would be to their benefit along those lines.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:32 pm

EzraS wrote:
I heard Trump in an interview state how he will get Mexico to pay for the wall. Has anyone looked into what that stated plan is, rather than speculating about what it is?

I don't remember exactly what he said, but I believe it had something to do with Mexico's debt to the United States and a deal that would be to their benefit along those lines.

I am curious what his plan is, I have never heard specifics.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

There have been lots and lots of recommendations, to the nth degree. He seems to have covered every possible angle, by many means, but, of which I am aware, nothing has been finalized.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

The proposal would jeopardize a stream of cash that many economists say is vital for Mexico’s struggling economy. But the feasibility of Trump’s plan is unclear both legally and politically, and it would test the bounds of a president’s executive powers in seeking to pressure another country.

In the memo, Trump said he would threaten to change a rule under the USA Patriot Act antiterrorism law to cut off a portion of the funds sent to Mexico through money transfers, commonly known as remittances. The threat would be withdrawn if Mexico made “a one-time payment of $5-10 billion” to pay for the border wall, he wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm

I liked to learn from Mexicans, living off the land, but also saw them maintaining formal culture, from Europe. As 85% of white people have apparently been displaced, from my region, due to our support of Mexicans, they don't seem to be my personal burden. My city once supported many head of cattle, acres of grain, and fruit trees. An article, this last week said, there is no longer enough water. Zoning managers are in legal jeopardy, as we have officially exceeded the carrying capacity.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 7:27 am

feral botanist wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Most other production countries have stiff tariffs: Japan, Germany, France.

The problem with tariffs is that many of the people that own companies in the US also own part of companies based in other nations, so if we impose tariffs, wealthy people in the US will be unhappy.

Also with tariffs or charges on wire transfers, the penalty will be on a limited number of individuals who are Mexican citizens, not Mexico.

It seems like even just the threat has convinced companies to invest in the US rather than Mexico, I think it's pretty simple. You can put a sunset on these taxes for after the money has been collected, we have good credit so I bet this wall can be financed $5-10B not as bad over the course of 10 years.

There is also the belief that the US has already appropriated money for a border wall and doesn't need congress to get started. The US can place a tariff on Mexico and tax remittance payments and cover everything I think.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 3:12 pm

pcuser wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Trying to rationalize a liars statements???

I suggest you deal with Clinton's lies first then we can talk.

Darn, I flunked.