Percentages on multiple-choice-allowed polls

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

WoW_Wow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2017, 12:15 am

Could someone please fix the polls so that, when multiple choices are allowed, they show the number of people picking each response divided by the number of people who responded, rather than divided by the total number of responses that were picked?

At my poll on what subculture you are/were in high school, for instance, at viewtopic.php?t=328208, a total of 6 people selected "Nerd", for instance, and it says Nerd accounts for 12%, or 6 out of 50. There is no way of knowing if 50 people responded to the poll and 12% are nerds, or if 40 people responded to the poll and 15% are nerds, or if 30 people responded to the poll and 20% are nerds. For this reason, I didn't originally even want to make it so more than one box could be checked off.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:15 am

WoW_Wow wrote:
Could someone please fix the polls so that, when multiple choices are allowed, they show the number of people picking each response divided by the number of people who responded, rather than divided by the total number of responses that were picked?

At my poll on what subculture you are/were in high school, for instance, at viewtopic.php?t=328208, a total of 6 people selected "Nerd", for instance, and it says Nerd accounts for 12%, or 6 out of 50. There is no way of knowing if 50 people responded to the poll and 12% are nerds, or if 40 people responded to the poll and 15% are nerds, or if 30 people responded to the poll and 20% are nerds. For this reason, I didn't originally even want to make it so more than one box could be checked off.

Your complaint does not make any sense.

The Polls DO give both the absolute numbers for each pick in a poll,AND the percentage who made that pick.

AND at the bottom of the page it gives the total number of responses.

For example:

What are your favourite colours?
Poll runs till 11 Apr 2017, 3:37 am
Brown 0% 0% [ 0 ]
Green 14% 14% [ 6 ] x
Yellow 0% 0% [ 0 ]
Red 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Orange 2% 2% [ 1 ]
Purple 19% 19% [ 8 ] x
Blue 26% 26% [ 11 ] x
Pink 2% 2% [ 1 ]
Grey 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Black 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Other 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Total votes : 43

WoW_Wow

11 Jan 2017, 6:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
WoW_Wow wrote:

Your complaint does not make any sense.

The Polls DO give both the absolute numbers for each pick in a poll,AND the percentage who made that pick.

AND at the bottom of the page it gives the total number of responses.

For example:

What are your favourite colours?
Poll runs till 11 Apr 2017, 3:37 am
Brown 0% 0% [ 0 ]
Green 14% 14% [ 6 ] x
Yellow 0% 0% [ 0 ]
Red 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Orange 2% 2% [ 1 ]
Purple 19% 19% [ 8 ] x
Blue 26% 26% [ 11 ] x
Pink 2% 2% [ 1 ]
Grey 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Black 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Other 9% 9% [ 4 ]
Total votes : 43

If you think my complaint doesn't make any sense, you clearly don't understand my complaint.

Yes, it does give the total at the bottom, but do the math: 6 + 4 + 1 + 8 + 11 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 43. It only gives the total number of "tokens" that were checked off. For all I know, we could have had only 20 different people responding.