Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:15 pm

Do anyone have it?

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2017, 8:17 am

I do and my gastro told me to try a dairy free diet. I don't know if that has cured it, because I'm still taking GERD meds, but my bloating is all gone and my joints feel better. Many people can't handle lactose. You could also try taking lactaid pills whenever you eat dairy and see if that helps.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2017, 11:16 pm

Yes really bad once I turned 30. I have to sleep sitting in a chair. And forget about taking any sort of "cat nap" basically laying down for a few hours is guaranteed discomfort no matter what I eat.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:36 am

Mine gets worse when my allergies get bad, I take Tagamet, it has less sideeffects for me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jan 2017, 3:29 am

I have it but it affects my throat instead of my stomach. I take Pepcid 2wice a day for it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

I didn't know you can get it in your stomach, I get it I'm my throat. I hate when it feel like I'm going to throw up & feel like I can't breathe or choking.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jan 2017, 6:43 pm

I get acid reflex but it's from stress. I have a hospital bed (I recommend to anybody and everybody, never mind the medical appearance). I wake with acid reflex, press the Sit button and go back to sleep. If not already in bed, then put aside what I'm doing (probably stress or delayed stress), go to bed, press Sit, etc. Works every time. Also 'yogurt pill' every morning - I forget what their real name is.

Good luck to all of us.

alexbfr
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2017, 3:38 am

Yes, it's horrible. The only thing that has worked for controlling it was daily prilosec, but I felt really uneasy about taking that for such a long period - I took it for about a year continuously and took myself off of it and actually my reflux isn't as bad as it was before. It was really hard getting off of the medication actually because I had rebound reflux because I had suppressed it for so long with meds. Now I mostly just control it with lifestyle changes and diet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 6:22 pm

^^^ My allergist put me on Protonix/Pantoprazole but my GP made me quit taking it after about 6 months cuz of long term risk & put me on Pepcid instead. I notice my acid reflux is worse than before I started the Protonix & I've been off that for a couple years now. I still have some Protonix on hand that I take when my refux is bothering me a lot or very occasionally as a preventive when I'll be eating something that might could really aggravate it like when I'm visiting my parents(which I do a couple times a year for a couple weeks) & my mom is frying seafood.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 7:42 pm

If acid reflex bothers you while you sleep, trying putting a book underneath each the bed posts at the top of the bed where your head is. Should allow gravity to keep your acid down in your stomach while you sleep.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 7:05 pm

I had it badly, partly due to hiatal hernia, and I was on Prilosec for two years.

Something you can try if you haven't yet, your mileage may vary, is a good probiotic compound. I noticed that acidophilus tablets at least helped a little, when I came off the Prilosec I tried them in place of Tums and they helped but I think ultimately it was getting a more complex probiotic compound, something with over ten different probiotic strains, that did the trick.

I've been off proton pump inhibitors now for over a year and I can drink as much coffee as I want, I just need to avoid maybe three things a) red pasta sauces, b) heavily processed meat like you get with cracker trays, and c) alcohol in combination with greasy foods. I've actually avoided consuming a lot of alcohol generally because I notice the GERD coming back if I've had more than one or two drinks a day for longer than four days.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

Last night I was a sleep & at 2:15, I woke up having to go to the bathroom, I had really bad acid reflux too & my nose was stuffed up. I couldn't breathe, I went to the living room & fell asleep in my recliner chair.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Feb 2017, 10:22 pm

nick007 wrote:
^^^ My allergist put me on Protonix/Pantoprazole but my GP made me quit taking it after about 6 months cuz of long term risk & put me on Pepcid instead. I notice my acid reflux is worse than before I started the Protonix & I've been off that for a couple years now. I still have some Protonix on hand that I take when my refux is bothering me a lot or very occasionally as a preventive when I'll be eating something that might could really aggravate it like when I'm visiting my parents(which I do a couple times a year for a couple weeks) & my mom is frying seafood.

Does your mom know about this? I'm thinking of my own family, of mom rushing around because her treasured grown-up kid is coming to visit. She's going to out-mother herself, cram all the love into the most magnificent meal - and she's making him sick.

Oh dear, for mom's sake and your own, could you - perhaps later - suggest that your allergist has asked you to change your diet? No frying, no seafood? Some other of mom's specialties?

Or do you love it and figure it's worth it? You wouldn't be the first. :lol:

At any rate, maybe have ready another meal to suggest, that your body gets along with.

I am reminded of Thanksgiving - we all eat everything and moan the rest of the night. Maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 10:42 pm

Claradoon wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Does your mom know about this? I'm thinking of my own family, of mom rushing around because her treasured grown-up kid is coming to visit. She's going to out-mother herself, cram all the love into the most magnificent meal - and she's making him sick.

Oh dear, for mom's sake and your own, could you - perhaps later - suggest that your allergist has asked you to change your diet? No frying, no seafood? Some other of mom's specialties?

Or do you love it and figure it's worth it? You wouldn't be the first. :lol:

At any rate, maybe have ready another meal to suggest, that your body gets along with.

I am reminded of Thanksgiving - we all eat everything and moan the rest of the night. Maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.
She knows. I love the food so I want to indulge while I'm there but I guess I could cut down on how much I eat at a time, I eat alot at a time if it's good.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 1:08 am

i was "diagnosed" with GERD last may, which i'm almost certain is a fallacy as my only problem is a consistent feeling of gas/fluid in the back of the throat which is constantly giving me the urge to burp.

and my god...what burps those are. 8O

they put me on omeprazole, which i took for about two months, then weaned myself off of it as it was pretty clear it had no effect whatsoever. i was even sent to the hospital to do a barium swallow test, hoping they'd find whats causing the feeling of air there, but of course they found nothing. they never find anything.

this is probably just an extension of the physical anxiety problems that started in march when i had a foreign object embedded in my eye for two days.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.