How to help friends develop networks

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 7:17 am

Hi:
I have three friends who are seeking some kind of employment. One of them is unemployed and looking for some assistance and two who want jobs where they can do more than just bag groceries. How do I help them find networks?

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

Networking often varies depending on the type of work one is seeking, though I can think of some general details.
Have an email address and phone number established by which the person can be contacted.
Seek to find ways to get a foothold in the subject. This good be attempted by volunteer work or low grade work depending on the field. If opportunities can't be found directly in the field, seeking something in a subject with relevance to it can have use.
Informal and non-work formal social interaction is an important way to get to know people in a field and to start getting networking opportunities. Things such as volunteer work, affiliation with various organizations, and going to places that offer certain opportunities to interact with people of a certain field. Forming personal connections through various conversations can create connections that could help lead to opportunities or to gain access to knowledge which can aid in finding work.
If you would like advise for networking for certain sorts of work, let me know, an I'll see if I can offer advise.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 6:18 am

This works best in metropolitan areas.Small town local networks are harder to penetrate. Here everyone already knows each other and aren't very open to new people.