Anyone else tend to do nothing all day?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NikNak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 6 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 146
Location: Scotland

09 Jan 2017, 10:14 am

I tend to do a whole lot of laying about interspersed with the odd day of activity when something pressing has come up. It's very frustrating being this way. I feel like I'm 'stuck in a rut' and not sure how to proceed as I often don't want to do anything even though being this way makes me miserable...


_________________
Diagnosed ASD Aug 2016, confirmed Dec 2016.
Also have OCD and various 'issues'.


selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 142

09 Jan 2017, 12:14 pm

I'm currently hospitalized so that sort of limits my freedom and I can't do things I'd like to do, like taking care of pets. I want to study as well but I can't because of a noisy roommate. It sucks but until I get my own apartment I'll have to endure it.

Just think about things you'd like to do, then work towards getting into a position where you can do these things. That's what I'm doing and I think it makes sense.



Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,253
Location: US

09 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm

I have phases when I'm obsessively focused on a special interest for weeks or months on end - and other phases where I feel aimless, and nothing really interests me. (This is one of those times, so I'm feeling a bit 'stuck in a rut' too!)

What do wish you could be interested in? I keep meaning to catch up on a TV show I once enjoyed, but I never feel like doing it 'right this second', because it's hard for me to turn off my scattered brain, and focus on anything. Maybe today I will force myself to watch 10 minutes of it... (Stupid goal, I know, but sometimes baby steps are the way to get out of these ruts!)

In the meantime I just keep up with basic responsibilities, housework, etc., and accept that my obsessions and passions come and go, and that it's okay to have these 'aimless' phases now and then!



Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 251
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

09 Jan 2017, 1:25 pm

NikNak wrote:
I tend to do a whole lot of laying about interspersed with the odd day of activity when something pressing has come up. It's very frustrating being this way. I feel like I'm 'stuck in a rut' and not sure how to proceed as I often don't want to do anything even though being this way makes me miserable...


I just discovered I suffer from RSD (Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria). Basically I avoid stepping outside my comfort zone out of the fear of failure and rejection. The only time I can get things done is when it's right next to the deadline and anxiety creeps in. It is a really crippling condition and perhaps you suffer from this as well.


_________________
Prof-Diagnosed: Aspergers Syndrome (I still call it that!), Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia
Self-diagnosed: ADHD-PI, Social Anxiety, Depression
Treatment: 5-HTP, Ginkgo Biloba, Omega-3, Pro-Biotics, Multi Vitamin, Magnesium


EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 861
Location: Under the Celadon Game Corner

09 Jan 2017, 9:33 pm

My productivity has sharply decreased in recent years, particularly after severe depression in early 2015. I'm wondering if it's the depression manifesting itself in a different way to what is typical (mentally, I feel mostly fine now).


_________________
~Zinc of Team Rocket~

Keep your nose out of grown-up matters... or experience a world of pain!

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008


rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2016
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Posts: 540
Location: USA

09 Jan 2017, 9:37 pm

That's called inertia. It could also be caused by executive dysfunction. I get like this during school breaks. It helps to have a set schedule. Even if it's more nothing, at least include something active and something that resembles social interaction (like online gaming) in your daily schedule. Whatever productive passion you have, include a large chunk of time for that in your schedule.

Do what I say, not as I do. I have a hard time keeping a schedule when it's completely uprooted every few weeks due to school. :(



JohnnyLurg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 141

09 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm

Fraser_1990 wrote:
NikNak wrote:
I tend to do a whole lot of laying about interspersed with the odd day of activity when something pressing has come up. It's very frustrating being this way. I feel like I'm 'stuck in a rut' and not sure how to proceed as I often don't want to do anything even though being this way makes me miserable...


I just discovered I suffer from RSD (Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria). Basically I avoid stepping outside my comfort zone out of the fear of failure and rejection. The only time I can get things done is when it's right next to the deadline and anxiety creeps in. It is a really crippling condition and perhaps you suffer from this as well.


Isn't that just social anxiety? I mean, all feelings of rejection come from unsavory interactions with others.



NikNak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 6 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 146
Location: Scotland

09 Jan 2017, 10:41 pm

rats_and_cats wrote:
That's called inertia. It could also be caused by executive dysfunction. I get like this during school breaks. It helps to have a set schedule. Even if it's more nothing, at least include something active and something that resembles social interaction (like online gaming) in your daily schedule. Whatever productive passion you have, include a large chunk of time for that in your schedule.

Do what I say, not as I do. I have a hard time keeping a schedule when it's completely uprooted every few weeks due to school. :(


I'm like this the majority of the time :( I do know from experience however that when I'm in a more structured home environment (my own was NOT one of these) with less pressures then I tend to healthier and more productive?

If this is just very prolonged inertia that would make me feel a whole lot better about myself! I suppose I could always try some techniques aimed at tackling intertia specifically. It's hard as technically I'm 'very high functioning' but you wouldn't think so to look at my life!

Is it 'bad' or 'shameful' to wish I had more practical support even though I'm 25 and in many way very capable? I just don't know anymore. If I could wake up with a different set of drives and feelings towards certain tasks that would be very useful! I'm absolutely terrible for instant gratification and procrastination and this 'inert' feeling!

I suppose I should remain positive and just try and put the effort in to improve :) Thanks for the advice regarding the schedules :)


_________________
Diagnosed ASD Aug 2016, confirmed Dec 2016.
Also have OCD and various 'issues'.


MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,714

09 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm

I actually plan on unproductive days, because I know I need some before I can get things accomplished. I always feel better after a day of no "expected tasks", and I just factor in that reboot time.



honeymiel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 3 Jan 2017
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 26
Location: Australia

10 Jan 2017, 1:32 am

I'm like this at the moment because I'm on uni holidays and I'm waiting for an insurance claim to come through so I can move house... I'm pretty bored and frustrated but also extremely anxious. I prefer to have an outlet for those feelings and to be working on something, even if it's an art project, learning a new topic, or reading/watching TV series from start to finish. I hate not having something to do and it just lets all sorts of negative feelings fester. Better to find something...anything!



Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 251
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

10 Jan 2017, 2:10 am

JohnnyLurg wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
NikNak wrote:
I tend to do a whole lot of laying about interspersed with the odd day of activity when something pressing has come up. It's very frustrating being this way. I feel like I'm 'stuck in a rut' and not sure how to proceed as I often don't want to do anything even though being this way makes me miserable...


I just discovered I suffer from RSD (Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria). Basically I avoid stepping outside my comfort zone out of the fear of failure and rejection. The only time I can get things done is when it's right next to the deadline and anxiety creeps in. It is a really crippling condition and perhaps you suffer from this as well.


Isn't that just social anxiety? I mean, all feelings of rejection come from unsavory interactions with others.


Not exactly. Social anxiety is the discomfort of being around a lot of people at the same time. With RSD you create hypothetical situations in your mind where people reject you, even if it's a situation that would never occur. You may also take a real situation as rejection, when there isn't really any rejection at all, you just perceive it that way.

For example. There are many things i've wanted to do in my life which I haven't, because as soon as I get an idea about what I want to do, I create these road blocks in my mind. These hypothetical situations where i've failed or been rejected. These thoughts become an obsession and put me off doing what I wanted to do.

It leads to a situation where you sacrifice long term goals out of the fear of rejection and failure in place of inertia or instant gratification.


_________________
Prof-Diagnosed: Aspergers Syndrome (I still call it that!), Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia
Self-diagnosed: ADHD-PI, Social Anxiety, Depression
Treatment: 5-HTP, Ginkgo Biloba, Omega-3, Pro-Biotics, Multi Vitamin, Magnesium


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,029
Location: UK

10 Jan 2017, 2:23 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
.


After reading your post , I read your sig about your Dx & treatment. Are these things you have been told to take by professionals ?


_________________
My neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 149 of 200
My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 84 of 200
Maybe it's anxiety but I feel like a thread killer


Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 251
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

10 Jan 2017, 2:45 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
.


After reading your post , I read your sig about your Dx & treatment. Are these things you have been told to take by professionals ?


No. They're just things i've read into. I've experimented with many suppliments over the years, but this is the best combination i've put together so far.

5-HTP is an amino acid that helps to synthesis serotonin and melatonin neurotransmitters which can really help with overall mood and sleep. Ginkgo Biloba helps increase blood flow to the brain. Omega-3 helps to improve and protect the metabolism. Pro-Biotics help combat bad gut bacteria by replacing it with good bacteria helping with intestinal issues often associated with Autism. Multi Vitamin for general overall health and Magnesium to help regulate protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control and blood pressure.


_________________
Prof-Diagnosed: Aspergers Syndrome (I still call it that!), Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia
Self-diagnosed: ADHD-PI, Social Anxiety, Depression
Treatment: 5-HTP, Ginkgo Biloba, Omega-3, Pro-Biotics, Multi Vitamin, Magnesium


liminal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2016
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 41
Location: Wollongong, NSW Australia

10 Jan 2017, 4:04 am

Does thinking count as an activity?

Then all of my days would be filled with excitement..


_________________
Secretly he hammers the earth.


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,029
Location: UK

10 Jan 2017, 7:09 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
.


After reading your post , I read your sig about your Dx & treatment. Are these things you have been told to take by professionals ?


No. They're just things i've read into. I've experimented with many suppliments over the years, but this is the best combination i've put together so far.

5-HTP is an amino acid that helps to synthesis serotonin and melatonin neurotransmitters which can really help with overall mood and sleep. Ginkgo Biloba helps increase blood flow to the brain. Omega-3 helps to improve and protect the metabolism. Pro-Biotics help combat bad gut bacteria by replacing it with good bacteria helping with intestinal issues often associated with Autism. Multi Vitamin for general overall health and Magnesium to help regulate protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control and blood pressure.


Interesting , thanks for the info.


_________________
My neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 149 of 200
My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 84 of 200
Maybe it's anxiety but I feel like a thread killer