Website against Asperger's Syndrome: HeartlessAspergers.com

Page 8 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2017, 4:19 pm

Jono wrote:
norwegiansun wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
norwegiansun wrote:
probably "Katy Ford" (aka Adelyn Birch???)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-relatio ... +aspergers

Neah because she also quoted that website in her book and she says her ex isn't a bad man and she used a different name for him because she didn't want to destroy him. That doesn't sound like someone who made that website.

she is problably a psychopath, very good to trick people with an agreeable persona.

She's not Katy Ford.

maybe they cooperate...

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2017, 3:32 am

What is that old doctor's quote? If you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras.

I do not think the site creator is part of a mass conspiracy nor does she have ulterior motives.

What happened was she had a bad experience with a person who was autistic, she found other people who had bad experiences and decided to make this site as a warning based on what they experienced. What they experienced happened. If someone were sexually assaulted by a man in her childhood, would you fault her for being afraid of men?

People have had bad experiences with alcoholics, drug addicts, schizophrenic people, schizotypal people, dependant personality disorder, bipolar people, people with early onset dementia, and people with alzheimers. I could list more to prove the following point I will get to. But since people recognize the problem, they can intervene.

I read a part in Aston's book where an elderly couple found out one had ASD, so he went and got diagnosed. All they gave him was a pamphlet and sent him off. No intervention, support, or medication. His wife later made a complaint that if he were schizophrenic or manic depressive they would at least do something more.

I do not have much advice for anyone here who is in a relationship since I am not in one or interested. But for the posters here who are not in relationships or not interested. I think the answer for y'all is simple. The big first step it to just acknowledge it is a disorder and recognize what happened to someone else happened, that having a disorder can cause problems, just play by the same rules.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2017, 2:01 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Amebix wrote:
It's BS. I want to know the name of the person who runs this site, she deserves to be held responsible.

Maxine Aston

It's not Maxine Aston.
She's the one who diagnosed me, she in no way holds these kinds of views and she is so much more intelligent than the author of this site.
When I met her, she came across as very understanding and supportive of people with Autism, and she certainly does not think that we lack empathy or understanding.
It is wrong to associate her with the kind of rubbish that is being put out by that website. Please don't.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

I was originally under the impression that she was behind this site. It seems she is merely frequently quoted by it. Aston is, however, the originator of the CADD malarkey, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't hold her in very high regard.

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2017, 5:07 pm

i want to be clear about one thing: aspergers is a condition we need help to overcome. But a human is more than the diagnose. :-)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 7:49 pm

norwegiansun wrote:
i want to be clear about one thing: aspergers is a condition we need help to overcome. But a human is more than the diagnose. :-)

It is part of out brain so it can not be truly "overcome", better to work with it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2017, 3:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
norwegiansun wrote:

It is part of out brain so it can not be truly "overcome", better to work with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 2:21 pm

norwegiansun wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
norwegiansun wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

Applied Behavioral Anaylsts (ABA) enthusiasts have been trying to get rid of Autism by rewiring the brain since the mid 1960's. Only in very very few cases have they been apearently been successful. In a small percentage of cases they have apparently "lessoned" the traits enough to "lose" the diagnosis. I say appearently because there just has been enough time study the "successful" cases to see if the "fix" is permenent. What has been well documented is in children if you end or ease up on ABA the "patient" "regresses". So is it really a fix or a band aid?

Then there are ethical questions do you want to get rid all of it or just the bad parts. If you want to to get rid of just the bad parts who decides what are the bad parts? Is Autism so bad is the depression and self hate many Autistics who have gone through these behavoiral therapies an acceptable price?. Should wanting to "overcome" Autism be a personal decision or is Autism so bad that it should be mandatory or because Autism renders Autistics unable to understand what is good for them.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I say appearently because there just has been enough time study the "successful" cases to see if the "fix" is permenent. What has been well documented is in children if you end or ease up on ABA the "patient" "regresses". So is it really a fix or a band aid?

If you are a ABA therapist or psychologist you would argue that the re-wiring process is incomplete. They would see it like an addict who opts out of treatment before fully recovering that their brain is still hard wired to seek the addictive substance they crave

In the case of ASD psychology is still coming to terms with how much is re-wiring can be attributed to ABA and how much is developmental changes?

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Windigo
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2017, 1:50 am

Ah, someone found a person with Asperger's she didn't like and dedicated a website to them.

Well, newsflash for her: people can be nasty in every category. Including people like me with Aspergers. Because at the end of the day, everyone is still human and humans can be nasty. It has nothing to do with their diagnosis.

Reading her website it might be a good idea if she gets herself checked out too, as she seems to be quite full of hate.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:45 am

Well I am glad that someone knowledges that ASD people can be bad and that anyone can be bad. I have noticed on here over the years that if anyone lands in a relationship with someone who happens to have autism and they were nasty, people here would automatically blame the victim by calling them a narcissist and judging them and accusing them of not being understanding so I have learned if your partner has AS and then your ex and they were not good, do not mention their diagnoses or their suspected condition. That way you will still get sympathy and not be treated as the bad guy and be victim blamed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2017, 4:33 am

citation from "Autism as context blindness"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autism-Context ... +blindness

page 21

"I argue that people with autism do have a theory of mind but that their social cognitive abilities are not activated by the more basic subcognitive processes that activate them in people without autism"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 3:14 pm

Fair, marriage could be a terrible idea no matter what but I as an I.T. boffin find myself disbelieving her synopses; the punctuation is mostly incorrect, add to that a monosyllabic pen name & I think this is a very embellished memoir. I don't really think anyone who might keep a job training I.T. cert courses would have that much trouble with grammar *weeps for the future*, nor do I think standing by every word, as she puts it, means anything at all when I'm just seeing run on sentences.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

This thread seems more popular than the damn website at the moment. That is not a good thing.