Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 12:04 pm

The court appointed psych diagnosed Roof with a bunch of other conditions and said Autism was a possibility, but the defense attorneys probably know that Autism is an attention getter and were probably pissed off Roof did not go along with thier attempt to use Autism to lower Roof's sentence so they twisted the meaning of what the psych said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 9:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The court appointed psych diagnosed Roof with a bunch of other conditions and said Autism was a possibility, but the defense attorneys probably know that Autism is an attention getter and were probably pissed off Roof did not go along with thier attempt to use Autism to lower Roof's sentence so they twisted the meaning of what the psych said.

I think it's mighty strange that psychologists who largely make their money from diagnosis/assessment are unable to provide a comprehensive and firm diagnosis when it comes to criminals. The same issue cropped up for the Port Arthur mass murderer Martin Bryant here in Australia who showed signs of Aspergers but no firm diagnosis was ever made.

Perhaps there are ulterior motives at play here

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 12:05 am

Dylann Roof told judge he would rather die than be labeled autistic or mentally ill

Quote:
“If they say I have autism, it's like they are trying to discredit me,” Roof told U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel in a November pretrial hearing that was closed to the public. “It discredits the reason why I did the crime.”

“Your lawyers are trying to help you, Mr. Roof,” Gergel told him. “They are trying to marshal a defense for you.”

I get that,” Roof replied. “But the problem is … if the price is that people think I'm autistic, then it's not worth it.… It discredits the reason why I did the crime.”

At another November hearing, Bruck likened his client to a “precocious” 10-year-old child.

“He is a geyser of autistic symptoms,” he said. “It was masked for us by the fact that he is verbally adept.”

Roof, however, told Gergel he believed his attorneys were mistaking his personality traits for autism — which is marked by social inability, communication problems and repetitive behaviors or obsessive interests — and acting disingenuously in trying to present him as autistic. ”I don't want them to say that because it's not true.”

“Could you explain that to me, being labeled autistic is worse than death?” Gergel asked Roof.

“Because once you've got that label, there is no point in living anyway,” Roof replied.

“I don't really think they believe I have autism,” Roof said. “I think they are just taking whatever they can and using whatever they can, you see what I'm saying? Because they don't have anything else to use.”

I really hate to agree with Dylann Roof but I agree with him that his lawyers are using the Autism Defense as a distraction. The main thing to know about Dylann Roof is he is a f****n terrorist. I have no opinion one way or another if he is autistic, but the last thing we needed was another mass shooting linked to autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 7:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Perhaps the court should grant him his wish?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 4:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Perhaps the court should grant him his wish?

I'll second that!
The very last thing we need is another mass murderer associated with us.