Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
underwater wrote:
Anders Behring Breivik does not have a diagnosis of Asperger's. It was mentioned as a possibility during his assessment for the trial, but they decided he didn't have it.

What he did have was a traumatic upringing, which there is evidence for. He and his mother were committed to a help centre for troubled families, where they were assessed by mental health professionals, when he was still a toddler. Based on that, and other things, social services wanted to remove him from his mother's care, but they lost the court case.

According to Norway's top court psychiatrist he does
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... trist.html

Regardless, I hope people focus on his Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and not his Asperger's.

I think people are over reacting to the data...just because a handful of people who are serial killers or mass murderers happen to be autistic does not mean all autistic people will be murderers...

Dylan roof certainly comes across as having autistic traits but the vast majority of the mainstream population just think he's nuts.

I hope so, but I fear we as a group might be demonized as potential murderers.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
underwater wrote:
Anders Behring Breivik does not have a diagnosis of Asperger's. It was mentioned as a possibility during his assessment for the trial, but they decided he didn't have it.

What he did have was a traumatic upringing, which there is evidence for. He and his mother were committed to a help centre for troubled families, where they were assessed by mental health professionals, when he was still a toddler. Based on that, and other things, social services wanted to remove him from his mother's care, but they lost the court case.

"Norway's top court psychiatrist"....this is the Daily Mail you're quoting. There isn't one top psychiatrist, like a king.
I fact there were several court psychiatrists evaluating him, and they couldn't agree on anything. Some said paranoid schizophrenia and dyssocial personality disorder, some said paranoid psychosis. Malt himself was hedging, saying that a diagnosis of Asperger's, Tourette's and narcissism was "plausible".

Here is a good article on the subject of Breivik's various diagnoses: http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/dette-e ... 1481453359

Run it through google translate, the language is fairly simple, so it should translate well.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 9:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
underwater wrote:

Regardless, I hope people focus on his Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and not his Asperger's.

I think people are over reacting to the data...just because a handful of people who are serial killers or mass murderers happen to be autistic does not mean all autistic people will be murderers...

Dylan roof certainly comes across as having autistic traits but the vast majority of the mainstream population just think he's nuts.

I hope so, but I fear we as a group might be demonized as potential murderers.

Dunno what planet you're living on. That's already happened.

One more reason-- one big reason-- why, if he does have ASD/PTSD, I'd like to cuss him out on his way to the execution chamber. I'm sick of as*holes who share my diagnoses basically putting me on trial for their crimes by choosing to indulge their demons instead of dealing with them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:09 am

Dylann Roof’s attorneys suspected he had autism, said he had ‘blushing attacks’

Quote:
Charleston church killer Dylann Roof suffers from “blushing attacks,” believes his forehead is “too large and ugly” and likely suffers from autism, attorneys representing him told an examiner, according to a recently unsealed evaluation.

The Nov. 15 report was written after several examinations were conducted to see if Roof was mentally fit to stand trial by order of presiding federal judge Richard Gergel. The report reveals extensive details involving Roof’s past, including his drug and criminal history, and his admittance that he has “all kinds of anxiety.”

The evaluation, unsealed on Wednesday along with hundreds of documents, was conducted after Roof submitted a letter to the prosecution claiming his attorneys were preparing to use a “lie that he was autistic.” He would later tell court-appointed evaluator James Ballenger he learned of the “autism idea” from his father, Franklin Roof.

Charleston church killer Dylann Roof suffers from “blushing attacks,” believes his forehead is “too large and ugly” and likely suffers from autism, attorneys representing him told an examiner, according to a recently unsealed evaluation.

The Nov. 15 report was written after several examinations were conducted to see if Roof was mentally fit to stand trial by order of presiding federal judge Richard Gergel. The report reveals extensive details involving Roof’s past, including his drug and criminal history, and his admittance that he has “all kinds of anxiety.”

The evaluation, unsealed on Wednesday along with hundreds of documents, was conducted after Roof submitted a letter to the prosecution claiming his attorneys were preparing to use a “lie that he was autistic.” He would later tell court-appointed evaluator James Ballenger he learned of the “autism idea” from his father, Franklin Roof.

The evaluation delayed the start of the federal trial until December.

Other details the report revealed noted Roof’s drug use dates back to when he was 12 years old and used marijuana three times a day. Roof told Ballenger he stopped using marijuana when he was 16. He allegedly told people he had stopped using marijuana because it caused him to be paranoid and hear voices.

Roof also told evaluators he had suffered from perhaps one panic attack and previously had been placed on medication for anxiety, the report, written by psychiatrist Dr. James Ballenger, said. Yet, his defense attorneys told Ballenger that Roof did not want pictures shown in court because he suffered from “blushing attacks” that take place when he’s upset in public.

At the end of the report, Ballenger gave his opinion: Roof was competent to continue with his ongoing death penalty federal trial in the 2015 white supremacist slayings of nine African-American Bible study group members at a historic Charleston church.

Among his conclusions, Ballenger said Roof had “perhaps some Autistic traits” and meets the criteria for “Social Anxiety Disorder, probably Generalized Anxiety Disorder, possible Autistic Spectrum Disorder, a Mixed Substance Abuse Disorder, depression by history and a Schizoid Personality Disorder.” None, however, would seriously impact his competency to stand trial, Ballenger concluded.

On Wednesday, Gergel denied motion for acquittal or a new trial by Roof, who argued he should not have been tried in federal court because his crime did not meet interstate commerce standards

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dylann Roof’s attorneys suspected he had autism, said he had ‘blushing attacks’

Quote:

The evaluation delayed the start of the federal trial until December.

Other details the report revealed noted Roof’s drug use dates back to when he was 12 years old and used marijuana three times a day. Roof told Ballenger he stopped using marijuana when he was 16. He allegedly told people he had stopped using marijuana because it caused him to be paranoid and hear voices.

Roof also told evaluators he had suffered from perhaps one panic attack and previously had been placed on medication for anxiety, the report, written by psychiatrist Dr. James Ballenger, said. Yet, his defense attorneys told Ballenger that Roof did not want pictures shown in court because he suffered from “blushing attacks” that take place when he’s upset in public.

At the end of the report, Ballenger gave his opinion: Roof was competent to continue with his ongoing death penalty federal trial in the 2015 white supremacist slayings of nine African-American Bible study group members at a historic Charleston church.

Among his conclusions, Ballenger said Roof had “perhaps some Autistic traits” and meets the criteria for “Social Anxiety Disorder, probably Generalized Anxiety Disorder, possible Autistic Spectrum Disorder, a Mixed Substance Abuse Disorder, depression by history and a Schizoid Personality Disorder.” None, however, would seriously impact his competency to stand trial, Ballenger concluded.

On Wednesday, Gergel denied motion for acquittal or a new trial by Roof, who argued he should not have been tried in federal court because his crime did not meet interstate commerce standards

A court appointed clinical psych would still need to verify the claim from Roof's legal defense team

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 12:04 pm

The court appointed psych diagnosed Roof with a bunch of other conditions and said Autism was a possibility, but the defense attorneys probably know that Autism is an attention getter and were probably pissed off Roof did not go along with thier attempt to use Autism to lower Roof's sentence so they twisted the meaning of what the psych said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 9:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The court appointed psych diagnosed Roof with a bunch of other conditions and said Autism was a possibility, but the defense attorneys probably know that Autism is an attention getter and were probably pissed off Roof did not go along with thier attempt to use Autism to lower Roof's sentence so they twisted the meaning of what the psych said.

I think it's mighty strange that psychologists who largely make their money from diagnosis/assessment are unable to provide a comprehensive and firm diagnosis when it comes to criminals. The same issue cropped up for the Port Arthur mass murderer Martin Bryant here in Australia who showed signs of Aspergers but no firm diagnosis was ever made.

Perhaps there are ulterior motives at play here

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 12:05 am

Dylann Roof told judge he would rather die than be labeled autistic or mentally ill

Quote:
“If they say I have autism, it's like they are trying to discredit me,” Roof told U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel in a November pretrial hearing that was closed to the public. “It discredits the reason why I did the crime.”

“Your lawyers are trying to help you, Mr. Roof,” Gergel told him. “They are trying to marshal a defense for you.”

I get that,” Roof replied. “But the problem is … if the price is that people think I'm autistic, then it's not worth it.… It discredits the reason why I did the crime.”

At another November hearing, Bruck likened his client to a “precocious” 10-year-old child.

“He is a geyser of autistic symptoms,” he said. “It was masked for us by the fact that he is verbally adept.”

Roof, however, told Gergel he believed his attorneys were mistaking his personality traits for autism — which is marked by social inability, communication problems and repetitive behaviors or obsessive interests — and acting disingenuously in trying to present him as autistic. ”I don't want them to say that because it's not true.”

“Could you explain that to me, being labeled autistic is worse than death?” Gergel asked Roof.

“Because once you've got that label, there is no point in living anyway,” Roof replied.

“I don't really think they believe I have autism,” Roof said. “I think they are just taking whatever they can and using whatever they can, you see what I'm saying? Because they don't have anything else to use.”

I really hate to agree with Dylann Roof but I agree with him that his lawyers are using the Autism Defense as a distraction. The main thing to know about Dylann Roof is he is a f****n terrorist. I have no opinion one way or another if he is autistic, but the last thing we needed was another mass shooting linked to autism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 7:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Perhaps the court should grant him his wish?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 4:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Perhaps the court should grant him his wish?

I'll second that!
The very last thing we need is another mass murderer associated with us.