Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Are there any sources out there saying that Dylann was autistic or had any mental illnesses? I looked him up and couldn't find any articles saying he had any disorders. So for now people saying he is mentally ill or has autism are just hearsay and just an opinion.

There is no official evidence that he was diagnosed with anything although he may be undiagnosed. There is some behavioral similarity with Adam Lanza (US mass shooter) Anders Breivik (Norway mass shooter) and Martin Bryant (Australian mass shooter) who all had Aspergers.

I might be wrong, but I believe Lanza was never diagnosed; rather, his mother, Nancy, thought he might be. It should be remembered, she was not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but might very well have been a survivalist nutbar.

A couple of psychology journals published he was diagnosed with Aspergers?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But the next time they fire up the atom smasher at Cern the Mandella Effect will kick in,and we will all be in that parallel universe in which this whole church murder thing never happened!

I miss the pre-internet olden day republican loonies - my favourite nutjob theory was the jews were causing drought in California

Now there's too many conservative crazies in America
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/58-d ... acy-guide/

Jeeze!! !

I only knew a handful of Trump conspiracy theories until now! Didnt know that he had already offered up as many flavors as Baskin Robbins Ice Cream! :lol:

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:11 pm

I'm opposed to the death penalty but gosh is it hard to feel sorry for Dylann Roof. They brought the whole situation down on themself.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

I think that the US state where he is has only two choices, either they go ahead with the death penalty or he has to spend the rest of his life in jail.

After what he did I think that he can not be trusted to be at large, he might either try to do it again or he might incite or encourage others to do likewise. I do not think that he was suffering from some mental illness which compelled him to do it. I think he attended the prayer meeting with the intent of committing murder, he made an evil choice and now he needs to accept his just deserts.

I think that even if a death penalty (or whole life tariff) is legal for murderers, a common or garden murder does not justify it. To me Roof is in the same class of person as killed Yitzhak Rabin. The vile creep who killed Rabin was a thing not a man, the judges commented at the end of his trial.

"Every murder is an abominable act, but the act before us is more abominable sevenfold, because not only has the accused not expressed regret or sorrow, but he also seeks to show that he is at peace with himself over the act that he perpetrated. He who so calmly cuts short another's life, only proves the depth of wretchedness to which [his] values have fallen, and thus he does not merit any regard whatsoever, except pity, because he has lost his humanity"

Roof seems to show no remorse for what he has done, I think the fact that he killed multiple people in a hate crime tips the case from being a "normal murder case" into a murder case with aggravating features. I think that Roof is similar to some of the worst of the UK criminals who have been given whole life tariffs, in terms of depravity he seems similar to Myra Hindley (sexual sadist who kidnapped and murdered children with her boyfriend), Jermey Bamber (He killed his whole family with a gun for monetary gain) and Colin Ireland (known as the "Gay Slayer", he did it because he wanted to become a serial killer). Trust me the deeds of these three UK criminals are not suitable reading for those who are fainthearted.

My vote would be for life with no hope of release, I think that even the slowest execution method possible would be too rapid a punishment for Roof.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Are there any sources out there saying that Dylann was autistic or had any mental illnesses? I looked him up and couldn't find any articles saying he had any disorders. So for now people saying he is mentally ill or has autism are just hearsay and just an opinion.

There is no official evidence that he was diagnosed with anything although he may be undiagnosed. There is some behavioral similarity with Adam Lanza (US mass shooter) Anders Breivik (Norway mass shooter) and Martin Bryant (Australian mass shooter) who all had Aspergers.

I might be wrong, but I believe Lanza was never diagnosed; rather, his mother, Nancy, thought he might be. It should be remembered, she was not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but might very well have been a survivalist nutbar.

I would need to see it with my own eyes before I believe he was autistic or otherwise it's just a armchair diagnoses people are giving him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 6:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I would need to see it with my own eyes before I believe he was autistic or otherwise it's just a armchair diagnoses people are giving him.

Whether he has autism or not should not be relevant anyway. The vast majority of people with autism are never going to harm anyone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 3:26 am

League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

SHOOTING AT SANDY HOOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL REPORT OF THE OFFICE OF THE CHILD ADVOCATE

Quote:
In subsequent correspondence with Newtown Public School personnel, the community psychiatrist referred to evaluations he had conducted of AL in September, October, and November 2005 that led to his conclusion that AL had Asperger’s Syndrome. Again, he recommended that AL be excused from attending school indefinitely:50

"AL is a 13 year old boy who I have evaluated on 9/30/05, 10/18/05, and 11/15/05. He meets the DSM IV criteria for Asperger’s Disorder. AL presents with a significant social impairment including lack of peer relationships, avoidance of eye to eye gaze, lack of understanding of how to play or interact with peers. He avoids peer interaction and is very anxious around strangers. He lacks empathy and tends to employ a very rigid systematic thought process. He demonstrates intense emotional rage when his systematic world is threatened due to his extreme need for routine. He tends to take a very literal interpretation of written and verbal material. Concepts like metaphor, symbolism and intangible references are exceedingly difficult for him and can cause significant distress. He tends to have an overly precise quality of speech and tends to not comprehend emotional expression in others. He is phobic [of] physical contact, even with his own mother who has been his most constant and consistent individual in his life.Due to his extreme anxiety and emotional discord due to minor changes in routines and/or his expectations he is unable to attend school"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 3:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

SHOOTING AT SANDY HOOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL REPORT OF THE OFFICE OF THE CHILD ADVOCATE

Quote:
In subsequent correspondence with Newtown Public School personnel, the community psychiatrist referred to evaluations he had conducted of AL in September, October, and November 2005 that led to his conclusion that AL had Asperger’s Syndrome. Again, he recommended that AL be excused from attending school indefinitely:50

"AL is a 13 year old boy who I have evaluated on 9/30/05, 10/18/05, and 11/15/05. He meets the DSM IV criteria for Asperger’s Disorder. AL presents with a significant social impairment including lack of peer relationships, avoidance of eye to eye gaze, lack of understanding of how to play or interact with peers. He avoids peer interaction and is very anxious around strangers. He lacks empathy and tends to employ a very rigid systematic thought process. He demonstrates intense emotional rage when his systematic world is threatened due to his extreme need for routine. He tends to take a very literal interpretation of written and verbal material. Concepts like metaphor, symbolism and intangible references are exceedingly difficult for him and can cause significant distress. He tends to have an overly precise quality of speech and tends to not comprehend emotional expression in others. He is phobic [of] physical contact, even with his own mother who has been his most constant and consistent individual in his life.Due to his extreme anxiety and emotional discord due to minor changes in routines and/or his expectations he is unable to attend school"

Okay, I had not known about that diagnosis. I'm big enough to concede when I'm wrong. Just the same, being that almost all of us Aspies would never commit mass murder, especially of innocent children, I have to think Lanza had something else going on with him other than autism.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 4:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Anders Behring Breivik does not have a diagnosis of Asperger's. It was mentioned as a possibility during his assessment for the trial, but they decided he didn't have it.

What he did have was a traumatic upringing, which there is evidence for. He and his mother were committed to a help centre for troubled families, where they were assessed by mental health professionals, when he was still a toddler. Based on that, and other things, social services wanted to remove him from his mother's care, but they lost the court case.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 12:45 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Quote:

Wrong person, we are talking about Dylann Roof, not Adam Lanza.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 8:42 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Quote:

Wrong person, we are talking about Dylann Roof, not Adam Lanza.

Correct. I should have quoted Kraichqauer instead of you.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 11:11 pm

underwater wrote:
Anders Behring Breivik does not have a diagnosis of Asperger's. It was mentioned as a possibility during his assessment for the trial, but they decided he didn't have it.

What he did have was a traumatic upringing, which there is evidence for. He and his mother were committed to a help centre for troubled families, where they were assessed by mental health professionals, when he was still a toddler. Based on that, and other things, social services wanted to remove him from his mother's care, but they lost the court case.

According to Norway's top court psychiatrist he does
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... trist.html

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 11:20 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I completely, 100% disagree with the punishment. Did anyone involved in his case look at that kid's history. To wit:

1. Roof exhibited "obsessive compulsive behavior" as he grew up.
2. obsessing over germs and insisting on having his hair cut in a certain style.
3. In nine years, Roof attended at least seven schools in two South Carolina counties.
4. His maternal uncle, Carson Cowles, said that he expressed concern about the social withdrawal of his then-nineteen-year-old nephew.
5. "he still didn't have a job, a driver's license or anything like that and he just stayed in his room a lot of the time".
6. When his sister planned to be married, he did not respond to her invitation to the event.
7. Dylann Roof was likely subjected to the double whammy — he inherited a genetic predisposition to a personality disorder, and then experienced the terrible parenting of a sociopathic father.

How do you sentence someone to death with all these extenuating circumstances?

Easily. Especially since there is no doubt that he did the foul deed. Some people are wild beasts and have to be put down. If there were any doubt in his case, then life in prison w.o. parole would be appropriate.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 12:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
underwater wrote:

Regardless, I hope people focus on his Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and not his Asperger's.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 1:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
underwater wrote:

Regardless, I hope people focus on his Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and not his Asperger's.

I think people are over reacting to the data...just because a handful of people who are serial killers or mass murderers happen to be autistic does not mean all autistic people will be murderers...

Dylan roof certainly comes across as having autistic traits but the vast majority of the mainstream population just think he's nuts.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
underwater wrote:

I think people are over reacting to the data...just because a handful of people who are serial killers or mass murderers happen to be autistic does not mean all autistic people will be murderers...

Dylan roof certainly comes across as having autistic traits but the vast majority of the mainstream population just think he's nuts.

I hope so, but I fear we as a group might be demonized as potential murderers.