Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tfwfangirlsatk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2017, 11:58 pm

Hi, I'm new and I'm scared about joining this site. I've always been autistic, but I didn't grow up knowing it. I've always felt isolated and like I never really clicked into the world as I was supposed to see it. I didn't learn that I'm high-functioning until about two years ago. It's been a struggle, but it's nice to know that I'm not crazy. I've always described the feeling like I'm not a native speaker, but I do understand a little of what's being said. Sometimes people need to go a lot slower so I can grasp what they're saying.

Anyways, recently I've run into some problems with my friends and they think that I need to be able to ask people for advice on social situations. Like, I get that but at the same time I'm scared. I'm still new to my knowledge of my diagnosis. What happens when I run into a situation that I just can't seem to handle? What happens when people look at me differently once they really know and I really talk about it?

I'm scared, fellow autism spectrum peers. Be gentle

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:34 am

aloha

I am in the same process of learning how much help I need with social situations.

I always wondered why I had so many problems, but I never had a framework for understanding how I was different.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:46 am

Don't be frightened. The answer to your problem is in the problem itself. It's not you, to be honest, it's actually your friends who are trying to change you to fit a mold and an expectation because they think that they can do that. I'm not one of those people that goes to every annoying person out there and tells them they are not the problem but to be honest I think a vast majority of cases where people on the spectrum have difficulties with other people arise out of communication difficulty so again, it's not you, it's them. The best thing to do is ask them what you can do, and if they have no answer you know that they are BSing.

tfwfangirlsatk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2017, 6:10 pm

feral botanist wrote:

I've always had issues and now I've been telling more people, letting them know. Sometimes it's easier to just not say anything, but doing so stops the hurt later, you know?

wrongcitizen wrote:

I don't think that's quite it. Sometimes I do things that hurt them. Say things that hurt them. I try not to, but it normally happens again in the exact same way. So they want me to be able to get help, maybe learn other ways to talk to them to avoid it happening again.

I've generally been keeping this to myself. It's hard to talk about it, but I want to be able to get help when I need it, you know?

AllDaXP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2017, 9:48 pm

tfwfangirlsatk wrote:
Hi, I'm new and I'm scared about joining this site. I've always been autistic, but I didn't grow up knowing it. I've always felt isolated and like I never really clicked into the world as I was supposed to see it. I didn't learn that I'm high-functioning until about two years ago. It's been a struggle, but it's nice to know that I'm not crazy. I've always described the feeling like I'm not a native speaker, but I do understand a little of what's being said. Sometimes people need to go a lot slower so I can grasp what they're saying.

Anyways, recently I've run into some problems with my friends and they think that I need to be able to ask people for advice on social situations. Like, I get that but at the same time I'm scared. I'm still new to my knowledge of my diagnosis. What happens when I run into a situation that I just can't seem to handle? What happens when people look at me differently once they really know and I really talk about it?

I'm scared, fellow autism spectrum peers. Be gentle

People on the 'autism' spectrum simply are those who genetically have more glial cells than other people, which are more important than 'neurons' when it comes to wisdom.

Neurons = computer transistor/CPU
Glial cells = motherboard

Humans are evolving basically. Everyone can, because we all share the same CPU.

I apologize if that explanation seemed confusing. I am happy to try again if it will bring you comfort; I only wish to eradicate your fear.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 4:52 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D