why can emotions cause pain in your body?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 2:29 pm

Lately I've improved a lot in terms of being around people, reducing anxiety and having better coping mechanisms but I am starting to feel more pain in my body. I don't think i'm sick but I think it's due to emotions but why is this if I'm improving? Also what can I do about it?

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2017, 10:19 pm

I don't know much about dulling the pain, but I do feel physical pain when I experience some emotions. Sometimes, my chest will throb from it. It's especially prevalent with certain emotions like extreme anger fear and shame. I don't know why and it makes things difficult.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:41 pm

Probably because of stress hormones and muscle tension. Stomach aches are caused by the fight or flight system directing resources away from the digestive system, causing constipation. You probably didn't notice the pain before because it was so constant, but now that you have less anxiety the pain isn't as normal and your brain decided to inform you of it.

For headaches, warm washcloth on the forehead or over the face helps.

For tense muscles (they feel hard and knotty), try massage and mild stretches. Heat helps as well.

For stomach aches, ginger helps settle the stomach. It also might be a

Staying hydrated also helps reduce pain in general.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 2:38 am

Ok, cheers guys

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:51 am

Have you tried exercise after being with people? I've been trying this and it seems to be working. I think all the restraint I need to be around people is causing body pains. But jumping on my mini trampoline or taking a quick jog can really help, even though I'm tired and it seems like it's the last thing that would help.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2017, 9:57 am

I find that going for walks usually helps with the stress and considering the situations where I feel pain are related, it would make sense that it would help with that, too simply by calming me down and removing me from the situation.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:36 am

I do lots of walking already but I think that might be pretty helpful. I'll try it.
I feel a bit better today but I took painkillers

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

Going to the dr tommorow cos it keeps coming back at won't f off :|

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 4:57 pm

People think that our emotional and physical health are completely separate, but they're not. They are connected and one always affects the other.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:31 pm

"Why can emotions cause pain in your body?"

Anxiety?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

I think emotions in the right or wrong setting probably do cause pain or other stimuli. Something related to this I often experience, and I think everyone does to some degree, is if you concentrate on an area of your body hard enough, it can start to itch or ache. I get this a lot if I 'think' at my spine or arms.
Emotions wise, I occasionally go through short-lived spells of intense loneliness. When it does happen it brings to light a whole new meaning to the term 'heartache'. The feelings seem to cause intense chest pains. It should be noted however that I do suffer with anxiety and frequently get chest pains since recovering from a previous illness, so the emotional stress does seem a natural if uncomfortable physiological response.