The curious connection between autism and cancer

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:24 pm

A surprising number of genes associated with autism also have links to cancer. Does that mean cancer drugs can treat autism?

https://spectrumnews.org/features/deep- ... nd-cancer/

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 7:00 pm

I asked a doc at a hospital, if there really is a connection - and there isn´t any - just as little as the very much discussed autism-alzheimer connection.
We can start breathing again.

Last edited by Jensen on 11 Jan 2017, 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 7:42 pm

My family has a strong history of autism but not cancer. From personal experience I doubt there are any strong connections.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

Does this mean autism is technically a killer, or is it more about another autism "cure"?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 3:57 am

No, it means, that we shouldn´t worry. It is pure speculation and has nothing to do with actual medical facts.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2017, 5:52 am

Yep, lets chemo that autism away!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 7:18 am

Yeah, I know how bad chemo affects cancer patients, but I would take 6 months of chemo to cure my ASD if I could opt to. :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 4:26 pm

I got to experience ASD, chemo, and radiation. Yea

No way to prove my tongue cancer and anything are linked, but if there is a link I think second hand smoke is it. My mom was a smoker and people used to be able to smoke anywhere they pleased a few decades back. In crowded places like mass transit and restaurants, at the dinner table at family gatherings people smoked. I breathed a lot of carcinogenic smoke.

Autism, it's co morbids, and conflicting expectations with the NT world often lead to habits and lifestyles than are known cancer risks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 10:35 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yeah, I know how bad chemo affects cancer patients, but I would take 6 months of chemo to cure my ASD if I could opt to. :D

After what I am going through now with Round 5 (of eight) for Stage III-B colon cancer, I would not want to go through an additional six months of chemo for "curing" my ASD (even if I wanted to do so). For one, the side effects from chemo (I was prescribed Flofox) can be very bad. As an autistic adult, I relate very well to structure, routine, not very overloaded with constant interruptions, etc. However, when you are at a local Infusion Center where I go to get chemo treatments, the only thing that is structured is being there four hours with the same routine of getting bloodwork were done, then having anti-nausea meds put into my port and followed by another drug. Yes, there are constant interruptions (but I chose to "go with the flow" because what else was I going to do?). Then going home with a portable pump connected to my port for about two days, when I go back to the local Infusion Center to have it disconnected. Then, the side effects, oh my. They were so bad after Round 4, that I had to chomp on a coat when I was using the restroom. You can figure the rest of it, using logic.

Each person should do what is best for his/her/whatever situation. After what I experienced with chemo and side effects so far to this point for colon cancer, I would not repeat the procedure to be "cured" of autism. No thanks. Not if I have to experience like the sensation of "shards of glass". No thank you.

Scott

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 10:58 pm

I would rather die than take chemo for cancer let alone autism. I'm so sick of this hearing about a "cure" or a "cause" of autism every five freaking minutes, I'm sick of all the curbies and anti-vaxxers with their BS and garbage I hate them all and wish they were all DEAD DEAD DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!! !

DO YOU HEAR ME YOU STUPID NT CURBIE FREAKS??! !?? I DON'T NEED TO BE CURED OR FIXED, GET OVER IT!! ! YOU ARE NOT THE WORLD POLICE, YOU ARE NOT HEROES, JUST GO AND DRINK SOME BLEACH AND SEE HOW *YOU* LIKE IT OH DEAR SWEET LORD WHY MUST I EXIST WITH SUCH IDIOTS??! !??

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 12:05 am

Who bumped this thread?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 12:18 am

One wishes one had cancer instead of autism

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 1:14 am

I'll take autism over cancer, any day. I feel that cancer is a fate worse than autism.