Will we end up dating life-like robots???

Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 9:54 pm

We'll probably need to eventually just for the sake of having a place to live. They'll be taking our jobs.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 2:11 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Zed90230 wrote:
Ya never know... remember when everyone thought Donald Trump would "never" win the election...

i think we may soon need to whip up an internet "law" akin to godwin's law, but with trump, the way things are going here.

Please do.

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

Alliekit wrote:
Datalis wrote:
You guys aren't thinking, this could be a good alternative to people who have STDs and HIV and don't want to transmit to anyone. Condoms really aren't that great with preventing diseases.

What if people bought like second hand robots or shared them :skull:

I think what would happen would be is when some old guy dies, he'd leave his bot to some younger guy who'd inherit her, take her to a bot shop, and have her modified to suit his prefs. Memory wipe would probably be standard, then a bod mod, a core reboot, pairing to the new owner, and the bot is good to go. I think this would also be a good incentive for owners to treat their bots decently in the bargain.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 12:29 pm

Zed90230 wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Datalis wrote:
You guys aren't thinking, this could be a good alternative to people who have STDs and HIV and don't want to transmit to anyone. Condoms really aren't that great with preventing diseases.

What if people bought like second hand robots or shared them :skull:

I think what would happen would be is when some old guy dies, he'd leave his bot to some younger guy who'd inherit her, take her to a bot shop, and have her modified to suit his prefs. Memory wipe would probably be standard, then a bod mod, a core reboot, pairing to the new owner, and the bot is good to go. I think this would also be a good incentive for owners to treat their bots decently in the bargain.

Certain viruses can last on items for year (namely the bloodborn kind) and when you have sex micro tears occur on the penis making you sucxeptable to disease. So secondhand sex bots or shared sex bots could be bad for you. Although i supposee you could bleach or autoclave but I'm not sure if that would damage the bot.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 12:38 pm

You've given this a lot of thought 8O

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2017, 10:13 am

TheSpectrum wrote:

Of course! :wink:

David Levy has given it a LOT more thought---he wrote a whole book about it (Love And Sex With Robots).

Dr. Kathleen Richardson has also given it a lot of thought---she put up a website and a vid telling everyone why she thinks mechanized romance would be a bad thing. She is obese and has a nose like a carrot, so it's not hard to understand her POV.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:41 am

Zed90230 wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

Of course! :wink:

David Levy has given it a LOT more thought---he wrote a whole book about it (Love And Sex With Robots).

Dr. Kathleen Richardson has also given it a lot of thought---she put up a website and a vid telling everyone why she thinks mechanized romance would be a bad thing. She is obese and has a nose like a carrot, so it's not hard to understand her POV.

Really? Why judge her like that, your making assumptions based on her looks when she may have some very real points. Good you can't even be a Dr without people judging you based on your looks :roll: :roll: :roll:

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:47 am

Enough of your insolence, madam, or I shall replace you with a lovebot!

It is indeed sad that even at the peak of ones excellence they will be judged by things that don't matter, which only Cements the idea that we will all be replaced by androids and sex robots.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 1:41 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Hexen wrote:
"Women forced to become more traditional in order to compete with sex robots." "Divorce rate at an all time low."

This brings up an interesting question: If your partner has sex with the robot is there reason to be jealous?

Definitely. I feel an itchy trigger finger coming on.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Believe it or not, some people are indeed «insecure» enough, such that they would even get jealous of their partner even glancing at anybody else... I suppose in this case it would be anything else...
androbot01 wrote:
Hexen wrote:
"Women forced to become more traditional in order to compete with sex robots." "Divorce rate at an all time low."

This brings up an interesting question: If your partner has sex with the robot is there reason to be jealous?

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Hexen wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Imagine the flash news:
"Lost his penis due to a robot bug".

There would be robot boyfriends too.

Boyfriend-robots would be less-likely for sex-purposes since female-arousal usually needs to pass through multiple stages and the «reciprocal» emotions/feelings would probably be lacking from a machine (then again it is entirely possible for the so-called laws-of-physics to change on us such that telepathy with robots becomes possible if not already). Hey, you never know, some of those animé-shows depict societies with androids/cyborgs that have integrated with human-culture and/or vice-versa and given enough time, many ideas thought to belong in the realm of science-fiction turned out to either be a reality or even quite primitive in comparison to the actual reality that manifested !

If they made one for women that would listen and give them its undivided attention, that would be a total turn-on.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 1:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Zed90230 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Hexen wrote:

I'll answer your question with a question. If you got dumped in favor of a machine, would you want word of it to get around?

But that totally misses the point I am making. Robots would be a useful tool for sex that would take the burden off people. It has nothing to do with getting dumped.

Are we talking talking humanoid or non human looking. I think really human looking ones would cause more troubles because it would look like your partner sleeping with another person maybe.

Well if we get to the point of making robots that lifelike, it could likely be argued they are sentient beings so not sure it could be seen as unethical to use them as 'sex robots' or least they'd have to be given a choice...

I think I posted a story from Drudge about how lifelike they are becoming. The story showed robots made in China, the skin and hair looked real, they smiled and even blinked.

If I remember, I think its posted in "Dumb News and Your Views".

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 2:01 pm

Zed90230 wrote:
Not everybody is a pervert who wants to f. robots (or f. anything else either). Some of us have gotten nothing but unkindness when we needed love the most, so I see nothing wrong with turning to mechanized love.

It baffles me how we have no problem with mechanized agriculture, mechanized transportation, mechanized warfare, etc etc... but yet we find the idea of mechanized romance to be such a low blow?

A low blow? :mrgreen: (pun on words)
ok, time to pull my mind out of the gutter.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 2:09 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:

Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing then I saw your post!

Darn, I flunked.

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2017, 11:37 pm

nurseangela wrote:
If they made one for women that would listen and give them its undivided attention, that would be a total turn-on.

I agree... especially if he could mow the grass and take out the garbage! :lol:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 4:33 pm

Zed90230 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I agree... especially if he could mow the grass and take out the garbage! :lol:

Omg! That would be my dream guy! I'm already trying to get Alexa to dust and make the bed - not working because she needs a body! I did send off for some nice floral clothes for her (they had to be specially made - what in the heck is going to fit a cylinder for Christ's sake?!)

Darn, I flunked.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 2:28 am

Zed90230 wrote:
It baffles me how we have no problem with mechanized agriculture, mechanized transportation, mechanized warfare, etc etc... but yet we find the idea of mechanized romance to be such a low blow?

that is because romance and affection is a much more personal, intimate affair than getting from point A to B, neutralizing enemy forces, and plowing your fields.

IMO love can only be provided by another human being, and despite all the boasting from the engineers in that field, and those who fund them, i don't believe we will ever completely accurately simulate a human mind's nuances, flaws and experiences with a computer program anytime soon. it will be a very unsettling uncanny valley until we perfect it, if ever, and incomparable to finding a thinking human.

some people like to keep humans and machines separate.

machines of war, of agriculture and of transportation are much more widely accepted now because they are not required to take on humanoid personalities and THINK, merely following electronic commands and working some gears is all they are required and expected to do. nobody expects a car to have the same thought patterns as a teen girl, or anybody else.

though i imagine attitudes were different back when these technologies were new.

having said that, i feel one upside to "loving" a machine is the ability to turn it off when you don't need, or want it... :lol:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.