How can I calm down before giving a speech in public

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:04 pm

I have to give a presentation at work today. The trouble is I get so nervous. How can I be calm before and during the speech?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

Deep breathing before and during. Deep breathing automatically relaxes. And if you have the time - rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. Practice makes perfect.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:23 pm

I should have rehearsed last night lol

The presentation is this morning :lol:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:48 pm

I used to practice all the way up to the speech. Until it's over - you still have time. :mrgreen:

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 6:23 pm

Focus on the content of your presentation; say it, don't read it. And gaze around the room without lingering too long on anyone person. Good luck.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:42 am

How was it?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 6:48 am

It went quite well :)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 7:51 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
It went quite well :)

Fantastic!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 8:53 am

Thanks! :)

nurseangela's breathing technique helped a lot.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:16 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Thanks! :)

nurseangela's breathing technique helped a lot.

That's wonderful! I used to love speech class. Brings back some great memories!

Darn, I flunked.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 1:40 pm

I once attended a 13 session seminar to teach me how to make friends and influence people.

There was one session devoted to calmness in your presentation.

This was about 1/2 way through the seminar so we'd already practiced giving presentations
before the rest of the group.

During this session everyone was told to bring a rolled-up newspaper.

During your presentation to the group they were allowed to harass you, slam their newspapers
down on the table, scream at you, etc. while you're supposed to just go ahead and give your
speech. Everyone was able, eventually, to give their speech.

After it was all over the instructor asked: "So do you think any presentation you give will be
as bad as that??????......... So what do you have to worry about?"

It worked to relieve nervousness quite well I'd say, for everyone.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 12:52 am

Is that the same seminar mentioned in Dale Carnegie's book?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:32 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Is that the same seminar mentioned in Dale Carnegie's book?

Yes. Interesting, but talk about a fish out of water....Yikes! Almost painful to remember, even 35 years later.

The person I worked for had some ideas about skills aquired through full immersion training (my term, not his) that were quite painful, but in the long run, worthwhile when used in commercial applications (in learning these things I was "catching up").

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2017, 6:29 am

Obviously breathing techniques and relaxation are better, but people with extreme anxiety can try something that works like magic for me - beta-blocker propranolol. It massively reduces all physical symptoms of anxiety, I sometimes have one if I'm supposed to be in a large group of people or before a massively stressful day at work. I couldn't control my anxiety with anything else - my mind was calm, but body was a sweaty, shaky mess with a pulse way over 100 and the longer I was in that state, the more I wanted to run away. I couldn't process what people were telling me, couldn't understand questions, horrible embarrassing moments.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 12:27 pm

RandomFox wrote:
Obviously breathing techniques and relaxation are better, but people with extreme anxiety can try something that works like magic for me - beta-blocker propranolol. It massively reduces all physical symptoms of anxiety, I sometimes have one if I'm supposed to be in a large group of people or before a massively stressful day at work. I couldn't control my anxiety with anything else - my mind was calm, but body was a sweaty, shaky mess with a pulse way over 100 and the longer I was in that state, the more I wanted to run away. I couldn't process what people were telling me, couldn't understand questions, horrible embarrassing moments.

Propranolol, in the U.S. is usually used to treat heart conditions. It is not a "mood" drug and has significant side effects.

I seriously doubt an American doctor will prescribe these for the conditions stated. Rather a General Physician, in the States, will refer you to a doctor specializing in mood disorders. GB must do such things differently.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

ZenDen wrote:
RandomFox wrote:

Propranolol, in the U.S. is usually used to treat heart conditions. It is not a "mood" drug and has significant side effects.

I seriously doubt an American doctor will prescribe these for the conditions stated. Rather a General Physician, in the States, will refer you to a doctor specializing in mood disorders. GB must do such things differently.

Actually, Propranolol is used across a variety of countries for anxiety I believe. It can be used to treat heart conditions and/or anxiety symptoms. I suspect using methods other than medication where possible are better in the long run though. I believe the reason for its use in anxiety is it can slow your heartbeat (hence why people with a low heartbeat shouldn't take it). Obviously, that allows it to treat multiple physical symptoms of anxiety, which stem from increased bloodflow, however shouldn't effect your clarity of thought to much.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php