Living with other people

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 3:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your next step should be getting your credit to an optimal level, so you'll be approved for a mortgage.

And stop reading those dating statistics and hanging out on those idiot websites.
Which idiotic websites? Do you mean dating websites?

My credit score should be perfect since I've never missed a minimum payment.

The trick is simply paying it off and then saving about $50,000 for a deposit. I might be able to reduce this to about $15,000 if I can get them to accept Grandpa as guarantor. Either way, it's not a problem of credit, it's a problem of not being able to save very much per month.

If I can only save a few hundred per month (and only on months in which I don't have any extra expenses, such as going to the dentist) then it would take many years for me to come up with the deposite.

Bald-Accountant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

When you had roommates were they people you knew well before they moved in?

I never really had problems with my room mates.

I did not get a home till I was 32 years old.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 3:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your next step should be getting your credit to an optimal level, so you'll be approved for a mortgage.

And stop reading those dating statistics and hanging out on those idiot websites.
Which idiotic websites? Do you mean dating websites?

My credit score should be perfect since I've never missed a minimum payment.

The trick is simply paying it off and then saving about $50,000 for a deposit. I might be able to reduce this to about $15,000 if I can get them to accept Grandpa as guarantor. Either way, it's not a problem of credit, it's a problem of not being able to save very much per month.

If I can only save a few hundred per month (and only on months in which I don't have any extra expenses, such as going to the dentist) then it would take many years for me to come up with the deposit.

I know that two years of living rent free would be enough but I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel more comfortable secure here by myself. I should bite the bullet and move out but I can't. And I might never get an apartment this good again.
kraftiekortie wrote:
Are you into Aussie Rules Football?
No, it bores me to tears.
BTDT wrote:
I didn't buy a house until it is 38. But, now that the mortgage is paid off, I have a lot more spending money. :D
How were you able to pay it off in only 15 years?
kraftiekortie wrote:
Are you into Aussie Rules Football?
No, it bores me to tears.
Zoranus wrote:
Don't worry about your colleagues or friend's pace. Each of us moves at our own pace. A lot of my friends are married and have kids right now. I'm in a faltering relationship that at the moment, is probably going to fall apart because of my poor choices. But I know the world isn't over...or at least I hope I do.
I guess. I just worry that if when when I was 28 I had the maturity of a 28 year old I wouldn't have stuffed up my most recent relationship. If when I was 25 I had the maturity of a 25 year old I wouldn't have been in a hurry to move out. If when I was 20 I had the maturity of a 20 year old I wouldn't have dropped out of TAFE because it was "too hard". If when I was 17 I had the maturity of a 17 year old I would have gotten good grades. If when I was 14 I had the maturity of a 14 year old I wouldn't have turned down the girls that asked me out.

It's like I'm always two thirds of the maturity level for my age. I don't have a one and a half times lifespan to compensate for this. Being immature isn't an aspie thing because at work I'm on a team of aspies and most of them are highly mature, even though they're a few years younger than me.
Zoranus wrote:
Also don't worry about what they think.
Maybe. One of them pointed out that I was wasting my money yesterday. The reason I worried about what he was thinking is because he's right. The insults that bother me the most are the ones that are actually true. If I he said my nose was too big and I smelt of elderberries I wouldn't have worried because I know my nose isn't too big and I don't smell of elderberries. But when someone uses an insult which truly applies to me it makes me mad, not at him but at myself for having been so foolish.

I just worry that if they think I'm hopelessly naive and not very bright they won't trust me with tasks at work. I'm one of the least educated ones on the team.

If I ever buy a house I might keep it a secret from them because I don't want to know that I was partly motivated by a desire to keep up with them. I don't want them to think I was copying them. Especially if I actually was. Maybe I'm sort of paranoid like that. Anyway I sort of admire people who accomplish things without boasting about them.
Zoranus wrote:
To be honest, I wouldn't want to live with my mom or grandparents. But if this was only for one year, and then you'd get a house, I might consider it. The immaturity thing would be for a short time only, and then you'd have taken a nice step forward.
I guess I could stand people thinking I'm immature for a year but I find it hard to give up the space in which I feel most comfortable.

More comfortable than my previous apartment (emotionally) because people could see into that ground floor apartment quite easily. Even with the curtains drawn I worried they'd see through the gaps. My 5th floor apartment isn't very high up but it's high enough above ground level that no one can see in.

I worry if I move out my next apartment might not be as good. I guess I had some fantasy that if I stayed in this apartment I would one day get the opportunity to buy it. Not if I move out though.
Zoranus wrote:
Moving furniture is a nightmare. I honestly have thought of getting a moving company even for my small apartment move. It's just convenient. That could be an idea if necessary.
I could get a moving company but only if I have a destination for the furniture. if I move into someone's already furnished house it would have to go into storage. The cost of that could eat into the amount I'm saving by not paying rent.

If I moved into with my parents or grandparents I'd be further away from the city. I was thinking of going back to TAFE eventually so I don't need a longer commute if I'm having 12 hour days.
Zoranus wrote:
Try to plan it out. Plan out pros and cons of each, write them down, compare, and then write out the road to get to each. Then choose whichever is favorable. Obviously your long term goal is to get a house. The question is what road sounds the best for you to get there? I think if you put some foundation on your thoughts it might help.
I'll try. If I move out I'll keep it a secret because I don't want them to know the reason I'm doing it is because I envy them and admire them and I want to copy what they did.

I know. I'm paranoid. If I keep renting they'll think I'm dumb. If I buy a house they'll think I copied them. If I buy a house and don't tell them they'll I'm still renting and because of that they'll think I'm dumb.

I think the only way to move in with my parents without giving up my apartment is to get dad to move in here. He can pay half the rent. He's kind of annoying but I'll have to bite the bullet. It would be the least unpleasant way to do it. I wouldn't lose my current apartment or have to get rid of my furniture (except the furniture in the spare room, that would become his bedroom). I already sold my car so he can use my parking space.

If I buy the apartment I have a feeling he'll want to buy a half share. Especially if his octogenarian mother dies (assuming he hasn't pissed her off enough to be cut out of her will). If he buys a half share then it won't be mine alone. Then again, he can't live forever. It would be mine eventually. I just hope my half brothers don't try to grab it. They're already going to inherit their mum's house but they may feel entitled to a piece of mine.
Bald-Accountant wrote:
When you had roommates were they people you knew well before they moved in?
No. They weren't really bad. They didn't do anything that bad but I just found the whole concept of living with strangers to be creepy. My home is supposed to be my safe space. Not my space to be around creepy people.
Bald-Accountant wrote:
I did not get a home till I was 32 years old.
I might buy one at that age if I'm able to think of a plan that doesn't require me to save up $50,000 at a rate of $200 per month (if I resort to that I'll be in my 50s).

I've spoken to some of the older people at work and it's really common for them to have bought their first house in their 30s. Most of the guys who bought their first house in their 20s were still living with their parents when they got a full pay job (like I should have been).

One of them bought her first house at 23. She's still living with her parents. It's her investment property. One day she's going to be much richer than I am.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 5:41 pm

my personal observations and analysis in living with a roommate for the last few years are that, to make such a living situation work, it should be with no more than one other, and you each need to have your own bedroom and bath so that cleanliness rituals or lack thereof don’t clash. too, there should be enough a companionable element to share at least one interest to ease tensions by reminding you of their good qualities during times they’re unintentionally and unawarely causing you upset. also, assuming both parties work, both parties should schedule and coordinate with the other at least a couple days a week where they are out for a few hours during the evening without fail(unless ill of course) so the other party has time they can count on to be alone and free to be themselves. if only one party works(provided it’s work away from home with a reliably concrete schedule that the unemployed person can plan their time around... not random and unpredictable contract work.), than the other should be the only one in need of going out as such because they’d have enough time to themselves already. as far as chores, messes in a common area or kitchen should be cleaned/disposed of by whomever made them reasonably soon upon making them... that seems to be the biggest issue between two different people with separate standards for what is acceptably clean(going into the kitchen to cook and having your appetite turned inside out by the miasmatic scent of food rotting on old dishes, or the dank and sour scent of rapidly aging fast food strewn about that’s being seized by swarms of ants, that isn’t/aren’t yours is certainly fuel for distancing favor and acceptance in the other).

a few other things that could help, is to get a personal heater, fan(not just for maintaining cool, but a fan puts out a sound obscuring frequency that works better than loud music for dampening the noise of others and doesn’t disturb others like music can), and mini fridge for your room(in case there are times you either don’t want to or cannot be around another, but need to eat something). it’d also be ideal if you could have an agreed policy to consult one another about using the thermostat for both reasons of finance and common courtesy to coordinate compromise in not making the other physically miserable. the heater and fan would be there to allow the other person to use the thermostat while not wrecking the comfort of your personal space, but if they decide to use the thermostat and turn up the heat without you knowing, and you had already used your personal heater, or roles reversed, that’d make the room uncomfortably hot... where as, if they wished to turn on the air and you were already cold, you could close your vents and turn on your little heater, so communication is key.

realistically, that kind of mindful respect and communication is pretty hard to find in a stranger, so for the most part, living alone is most ideal if you cannot find it... mind, if a living situation would make you miserable, and if it’d make you more likely to spend a lot in regularly getting out and away, then you’d not actually be saving much if any despite the drastic compromise to the integrity of your peace of mind. my experiences throughout life, however, suggest that living with relatives is the worst for living with people who casually make regular assumptions that you’ll be completely fine, if not welcoming, with them pressing or breaking your boundaries without permission.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

If you have a decent amount of debt, and you make your minimum payments, your credit would be fair-good, but not perfect (within an American context, at least).

Do you like something like cricket? Or American football? Or any sort of sport?

I have met many sports-loving girls who are pretty, yet who are unpretentious. Those type of girls are my favorites. They can be ladies when necessary--but they can stand up for themselves, too.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 8:44 pm

It was a 15 year mortgage and I made some large extra payments to pay it off in just 11 years.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you like something like cricket? Or American football? Or any sort of sport?
Playing or watching?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm

BTDT wrote:
It was a 15 year mortgage and I made some large extra payments to pay it off in just 11 years.
Cool.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:42 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
my personal observations and analysis in living with a roommate for the last few years are that, to make such a living situation work, it should be with no more than one other, and you each need to have your own bedroom and bath so that cleanliness rituals or lack thereof don’t clash. too, there should be enough a companionable element to share at least one interest to ease tensions by reminding you of their good qualities during times they’re unintentionally and unawarely causing you upset. also, assuming both parties work, both parties should schedule and coordinate with the other at least a couple days a week where they are out for a few hours during the evening without fail(unless ill of course) so the other party has time they can count on to be alone and free to be themselves. if only one party works(provided it’s work away from home with a reliably concrete schedule that the unemployed person can plan their time around... not random and unpredictable contract work.), than the other should be the only one in need of going out as such because they’d have enough time to themselves already. as far as chores, messes in a common area or kitchen should be cleaned/disposed of by whomever made them reasonably soon upon making them... that seems to be the biggest issue between two different people with separate standards for what is acceptably clean(going into the kitchen to cook and having your appetite turned inside out by the miasmatic scent of food rotting on old dishes, or the dank and sour scent of rapidly aging fast food strewn about that’s being seized by swarms of ants, that isn’t/aren’t yours is certainly fuel for distancing favor and acceptance in the other).

a few other things that could help, is to get a personal heater, fan(not just for maintaining cool, but a fan puts out a sound obscuring frequency that works better than loud music for dampening the noise of others and doesn’t disturb others like music can), and mini fridge for your room(in case there are times you either don’t want to or cannot be around another, but need to eat something). it’d also be ideal if you could have an agreed policy to consult one another about using the thermostat for both reasons of finance and common courtesy to coordinate compromise in not making the other physically miserable. the heater and fan would be there to allow the other person to use the thermostat while not wrecking the comfort of your personal space, but if they decide to use the thermostat and turn up the heat without you knowing, and you had already used your personal heater, or roles reversed, that’d make the room uncomfortably hot... where as, if they wished to turn on the air and you were already cold, you could close your vents and turn on your little heater, so communication is key.

realistically, that kind of mindful respect and communication is pretty hard to find in a stranger, so for the most part, living alone is most ideal if you cannot find it... mind, if a living situation would make you miserable, and if it’d make you more likely to spend a lot in regularly getting out and away, then you’d not actually be saving much if any despite the drastic compromise to the integrity of your peace of mind. my experiences throughout life, however, suggest that living with relatives is the worst for living with people who casually make regular assumptions that you’ll be completely fine, if not welcoming, with them pressing or breaking your boundaries without permission.
The last time I had someone stay overnight we got into a conflict because he wanted to play video games but in the living room but I need to have the door open to sleep or it gets too stuffy. He said it was ok because the TV was on mute but the light from the TV made me unable to sleep. I could probably sleep with a constant light but not a light that rapidly gets dimmer and brighter as the image on the TV screen changes.

I can sleep through noise but I have the door open if it's even remotely hot or humid so I can have the aircon blowing down the corridor and into my bedroom. Unfortunately I've never lived in a house that had ducted aircon. At the moment I only have a split system.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 11:43 pm

I guess I'll have to save. The thing that bugs me is I still haven't rebought the majority of the old NES, SNES and Gamecube games that were stolen. I can't even remember all of the games I'd have to rebuy because the computer I stored the list on was stolen. Lots of other stuff was stolen.

If I save, I can never rebuy the stuff that was stolen. If I spend a lot of money buying it all, I'm not saving. What a choice. If I hadn't been robbed, then I could save but already have lots of NES, SNES and Gamecube games.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:42 am

Only a real idiot like me could have a good job for two years yet still not have enough money for a mortgage deposit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 7:12 am

Bullcrap. Many people are in your position. I certainly was.

Just move towards the future.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 7:17 am

I hate living with other people for all sorts of different reasons, but judging by the state of my apartment, I think the only way I'd ever have a clean place again is if I bit the bullet and moved in with someone. :x

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

Oh my god I'm so stressed about this I can't sleep!! ! It's 2:30 AM!! !

My lease is up for renewal in two weeks and I can't decide!! !

I don't know what I should do. I could

1. Do nothing. Just pay rent until I die from old age. Never buy a house. I feel happy and safe and relaxed here but sometimes I get depressed about stuff in that case I might feel miserable regardless of where I live. Also not owning a house might adversely affect my retirement. At least I have a good place to bring girls home. Maybe if a girl likes me enough she'll move in and pay half of my rent.

2. Do nothing. Just pay rent. Wait for my grandparents to die in about 20 years so Mum gets a quarter of it between her 4 siblings. Mum gets about $75,000. Convince her to give it to me. Use that money as deposit on house. Spend 25 years paying off mortgage. Finish paying off mortgage at age 75.

3. Live in this apartment while I save very slowly. Once I have about $15,000, get Grandpa to be guarantor so I can have a low deposit mortgage.

4. Let my overbearing Dad move in. I'd have a few thousand extra per year. Loss of privacy. Maybe I could let one of my friends move in instead.

6. Move into Mum's for a couple of years. I could save more than letting Dad move in. No rent. No electricity bill and I might end up spending less on food if I just eat whatever stuff she cooks. After two years buy a house and spend the next twenty five years paying it off. Retire on welfare.

6. Move into Mum's house for the next decade. Buy a house two years from now and then rent it out. Live at mum's for another eight years. Use both my income and the rent I collect to pay it off faster. Use negative gearing. Take advantage of massive tax breaks through the use of negative gearing. Ten years from now, mortage is paid off faster than any of my workmakes. Move into fully paid house. Immediately buy investment properties. Retire wealthy.

If I just buy a house and move into it straight away I won't be that much better off except that twenty five years from now I'll live rent free and mortgage free but that won't make me rich. Even after twenty five years all of my money would be going to buying an investment property (which would take much longer than it would in scenario 4).

I don't know. Maybe I could just go with scenario 1. I'll never get rich but I might be happy in other ways (having a relaxing environment to live in while not being rich). Maybe I could save a little bit, very slowly or maybe I could just buy a new computer and completely abandon the idea of saving at all.

I hear if you own your own apartment there are a lot of building fees. Those are covered in my rent so maybe if I owned an apartment I wouldn't be saving that much.

It would just be so weird moving in with Mum. I've got my furniture arranged in what most people would consider an extremely bizarre way but I like it. At mum's house I might have to have it set up normally.

If Dad moved in he'd see everything I looked at on my computer.

Is it really that hard to be a landlord? Would I be better off investing in shares instead? What if the real estate and/or stock market crash? Then I'd say that I might as well have spent my money on myself instead of investing it.

Which would make me happier in the long run?

A. Spend all my money so I can be happy in the moment (but still sort of depressed about other stuff) (what I do now)

B. Spend all my money so I can be happy in the moment but stop being depressed by not competing with everyone to own the best house, have the best degree, the most promotions, have the prettiest girlfriend, just be happy without thinking about what other people have achieved.

C. Take antidepressants so I'm happy no matter what happens to me.

D. Invest all my money in shares and/or real estate and then reinvest all the money I make ad infinitum.

E. Invest all my money in shares and/or real estate and then reinvest all the money I make until I reach a certain age, then I start spending it.

F. A balance of spending money on myself and investing.

G. Try to be happy in a way that doesn't require spending money (so I can invest it all in shares and/or real estate).

H. Become obsessed with study instead of expanding my wealth so I put all my energy into night classes instead of moving out.

I. Become obsessed with both study and expanding my wealth. Move into Mum's and take night classes.

J. Attempt to get promoted without formal study (difficult but it may be possible).

K. Realise that happiness is just a stupid emotion anyway and not attempt to become happy. Instead to expend as little energy as possible while continuing to survive.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

Dad said he wanted to buy the place next door with me. Maybe he could move in. We share the rent and then we both buy the apartment next door. Then we can take advantage of negative gearing. We pay the mortgage on unit 26 while we pay rent on unit 25, which we live in.

Then Dad dies from complications related to his diabetes and/or alcoholism. Now I alone own unit 26.

^ That might be another option.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:05 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I guess I'll have to save. The thing that bugs me is I still haven't rebought the majority of the old NES, SNES and Gamecube games that were stolen. I can't even remember all of the games I'd have to rebuy because the computer I stored the list on was stolen. Lots of other stuff was stolen.

If you can't remember what games you had, is it really all that important to replace those ones you can't remember?