Nintendo Switch - The New Hybrid Console/Portable System

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Will you be getting the Nintendo Switch?
Yes 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Maybe 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12

DeanFry
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2017, 7:42 pm

A Look at the Nintendo Switch/Games:
youtube.com/watch?v=FMeqp2ZUF6E

(1 Hour) Full Presentation:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ntzz8O7SpWs

What do you people think? Personally I am in love with this console and selection of games :D

(New user so I cannot directly link them, sorry)

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 7:44 pm

I watched the presentation last night and immediately fell in love with the thing. My top hyped games are Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2.

There are some aspects I dislike though, such as pay-to-online-play and the fact that 1-2-Switch isn't bundled with the console.

DeanFry
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
I watched the presentation last night and immediately fell in love with the thing. My top hyped games are Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2.

There are some aspects I dislike though, such as pay-to-online-play and the fact that 1-2-Switch isn't bundled with the console.

Yeah 1-2-Switch should of been with the console similar to Wii and Wii Sports, having to get the game separately at this price point will be a tough sell. Online Membership was expected from me but still this is more money and we don't know the full details of it yet, it might be better than PS Plus/Xbox Gold might be worse.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 8:57 pm

I'll be interested whenever Mario and Splatoon come out. There isnt really anything else in that lineup that I'd care about. Chances are this'll be another console where I buy it for like, two specific games and then never buy anything else (I'm mostly a PC gamer).

Though, being that the Wii U is the one with Mario Maker, I'm likely to still use that alot more than this new one.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:44 am

I'd like to, but I doubt I can afford it. On the bright side, this might mean that the Wii U will finally go down in price so I can actually afford one. I've been wanting one for a little while now, mostly to play Wind Waker HD.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 6:14 pm

Nintendo Switch = a new gimmick machine that will make lots of money for Nintendo. I think it will be more of the same, the console will have a decent amount of games after 2 years or so. But until then- it will be pretty meh and filled with gimmicks/shovelware mainly.

The launch lineup (which might not be 100 percent yet) is pretty poor. Most of the revealed games so far are gimmicks or ports. New Zelda and New Mario are really the only stand out games in my view. New Zelda is also on Wii U though- so I doubt it will sell Switch unless the games are that different.

There is also no game included with the console! That's very odd, and so is the price. But it will still sell to many of the handheld fans out there. Mobile/handheld gaming is insanely popular now- so I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if many games with "in-app purchases" pop on Switch.

I would've been impressed if Switch played 3DS games somehow- since it does feel like Switch is going to be the sole Nintendo console. There is barely anything coming for 3DS this year and no news on a new handheld either. Perhaps there is some 3DS adapter coming they havent mentioned. Home/mobile hybrid should have 3DS support- or they least.. a huge Virtual Console lineup of Gameboy stuff! But Nintendo has been pretty slow with releasing stuff on Virtual Console, so I'm not counting on them to change that for Switch.

So as of now- I will wait on Switch, and just get a Wii U sometime.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 2:54 am

I like the concept behind it - a home console and handheld system in one. I'd probably be excited if I were a Zelda fan, but alas, I've never played any of those games. For now, I suppose I'll just stand by and keep an eye on any future titles for the system, in case there are any exclusives that catch my interest.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 3:38 am

I have a feeling the Switch is going to end up being poorly supported by third parties, just like every other Nintendo home console since the 64. The Wii was an exception for a little while, but it was also a fad that died out quickly when the casual market became enamored with mobile games. I still want one, but some of the decisions Nintendo is making with it are downright questionable, namely the controller design, the paid online service that requires you to use a f*****g smartphone app for voice chat, and the use of a previous generation Nvidia Tegra chip.

Nintendo's "make a cheaper, lower end console to appeal to the casuals" strategy worked before smartphone gaming became popular, but we're now long past that point. The Switch's design may be innovative, but it's not going to compete on the same field as the Xbox One or Playstation 4, never mind the PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio.

I like Nintendo's games, but I almost wonder if they like pissing off their fans on purpose. Whether it be refusing to issue price drops on their systems or their older first party titles, or overcharging for virtual console games, or providing poor online infrastructure, or making underpowered systems focused around gimmicks, or even skimping on media capabilities which should be trivial to implement, there's a lot to dislike about the big N.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 8:03 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I have a feeling the Switch is going to end up being poorly supported by third parties, just like every other Nintendo home console since the 64. The Wii was an exception for a little while, but it was also a fad that died out quickly when the casual market became enamored with mobile games. I still want one, but some of the decisions Nintendo is making with it are downright questionable, namely the controller design, the paid online service that requires you to use a f*****g smartphone app for voice chat, and the use of a previous generation Nvidia Tegra chip.

Nintendo's "make a cheaper, lower end console to appeal to the casuals" strategy worked before smartphone gaming became popular, but we're now long past that point. The Switch's design may be innovative, but it's not going to compete on the same field as the Xbox One or Playstation 4, never mind the PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio.

I like Nintendo's games, but I almost wonder if they like pissing off their fans on purpose. Whether it be refusing to issue price drops on their systems or their older first party titles, or overcharging for virtual console games, or providing poor online infrastructure, or making underpowered systems focused around gimmicks, or even skimping on media capabilities which should be trivial to implement, there's a lot to dislike about the big N.

I really, REALLY doubt Nintendo cares all that much about competing, in that way, with the other consoles. It's never been about computing power or any of that crap for them: It's always been about being "different". This is the entirity of the reason why the Wii sold so well, for instance. That was a WEAK console when it came to power. ....and nobody cared. Shovelware aside, they found it to have a high capability for sheer fun, so it was bought in droves.

Nintendo can be bloody weird, but I respect the fact that they always stick to their guns, and basically say "screw the other guys: We're doing things OUR way". Which is a good thing, really. Direct competition with the other two would mean YET ANOTHER nearly identical console. The PS4 and XBone are already almost the exact same bloody device... we dont need a third.

As for the media stuff, I'll never understand why anyone cares about that. The things are just so very, very dramatically inferior to even a simple freaking phone when it comes to things like that, let alone an actual PC. And for physical media, well, you could use the hyper-irritating and usually very slow interface of a console, or you could just use a specialized device (or PC) that you already probably have. Nintendo likely doesnt consider it to be a remotely worthy investment when it comes to their consoles, and I absolutely agree with them.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:13 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I really, REALLY doubt Nintendo cares all that much about competing, in that way, with the other consoles. It's never been about computing power or any of that crap for them: It's always been about being "different". This is the entirity of the reason why the Wii sold so well, for instance. That was a WEAK console when it came to power. ....and nobody cared. Shovelware aside, they found it to have a high capability for sheer fun, so it was bought in droves.

Nintendo can be bloody weird, but I respect the fact that they always stick to their guns, and basically say "screw the other guys: We're doing things OUR way". Which is a good thing, really. Direct competition with the other two would mean YET ANOTHER nearly identical console. The PS4 and XBone are already almost the exact same bloody device... we dont need a third.

As for the media stuff, I'll never understand why anyone cares about that. The things are just so very, very dramatically inferior to even a simple freaking phone when it comes to things like that, let alone an actual PC. And for physical media, well, you could use the hyper-irritating and usually very slow interface of a console, or you could just use a specialized device (or PC) that you already probably have. Nintendo likely doesnt consider it to be a remotely worthy investment when it comes to their consoles, and I absolutely agree with them.

Nintendo would have one major advantage if they decided to compete head on with Sony and Microsoft; their first party franchises. You can't get Mario, Zelda, StarFox, Metroid, Fire Emblem, or Pokemon, among others on any other consoles. There are dinky mobile games, but they aren't on the same level.

Of course, given Nintendo's reputation and its relationship with third-parties, maybe staying away from competing with Xbox and PlayStation is a smart move for them. They would have to make a huge splash if they wanted to have a chance.

It's nice to see Nintendo doing their own unique thing, but as a budget-conscious gamer, they are a frustrating company to buy from. If they did everything else the same way, but were more willing to put their games on sale and drop the prices of their consoles, then s**t, can you imagine how much money they would be making?

Datalis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2017, 11:26 pm

No one is going to mention that the controller is made for little kids. At the conference, they stated that the controller is "perfect for everyone" and it looked small in the guy's hands. Keep in mind, the guy holding it is Japanese. Us westerns have bigger bones structures!

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

Everything about Nintendo EXCEPT for their games is absolutely the worst. The Switch is a good concept but everything that has been revealed about it gives me cause for alarm which is only exacerbated when I recall their track record; this thing is going to rely on the non-game software and online infrastructure more than any previous Nintendo system, and those things have always been massive problems for them. They're also very conservative about producing consoles, they tend to keep supply far below demand, which is a low-risk strategy but also one which strangles software sales.

Oh, and the cost. Nintendo has always preferred to make a profit from every console sold. It made sense before but in this case they're producing something that is actually on par technologically, but in a smaller unit. The decision to do this must have been difficult, because they knew that it wasn't sustainable to continue supplying two shrinking markets, they wanted to consolidate. But their low-risk strategy regarding cost means that uptake is going to slow very quickly imo. This won't be helped by third-party support, which is (at release) relying on indie titles like Shovel Knight.

And you know what? Nintendo is the last company I would trust with a phone app.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 9:08 pm

What Nintendo needs is a North American division with some cojones, like what Sega had in the early 90s. Of course, that lead to a lot of infighting between Sega of America and Sega of Japan, which then led to them abandoning the console market...

OK, maybe that's not such a good idea. :P But then again, Sony seems to have a better ear for what western gamers want than Nintendo does, and they're both Japanese companies. What could Nintendo do to regain the foothold in gaming that it once had?