Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2017, 10:08 pm

That was the only thing I found odd about WP when I joined.

A lot of other forums I'm a member of have a meetup section, and probably the worst that can be said of them is they get into friendly regional rivalries between NYC and the UK.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 4:16 pm

Zed90230 wrote:
That was the only thing I found odd about WP when I joined.

A lot of other forums I'm a member of have a meetup section, and probably the worst that can be said of them is they get into friendly regional rivalries between NYC and the UK.

I am a veteran of meetups. Used to post in the friendship section and been to many from WP and other sites. But recently co-founded a group on meetup.com which is doing well.

That is far, far more effective for organising meet-up in my experience. I used to be quite skeptical, because when I first heard of it years ago, it seem quite sketchy. However thing have changed.

I gave up trying to orgianise meets on WP, and haven't looked back. We focus on informal meets, and we are more about natrual interaction and friendship rather than formal support.

Here are some reasons:

1. People on meetup sites are mostly there for that reason and that reason only. There is a greater degree of commitment. Anyone with any experience of meetups know that you loose a lot of your RSVPs. These are people who specifically have seeked out of googled meet up groups in their area.
2. It is way more targeted than a support forum, and easier to target the demographic.
3. You have actual membership and subscribers, and there are better tools to interact with them.
4. It is a lot easier to market your group, and get the concept out.