What are your favourite games from the 90s?

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 7:33 pm

There were SO MANY games, I had two computers in the 80s, IBM & Commodore. In the 90s, my fave were

Donkey Kong Country
Aladdin
Jurassic Park
Tetris
Q*bert
Mario Brothers

I so loved playing games in the 80s & 90s, the good old days :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 8:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn't play video games in the 1990s.

I liked Ms. PacMan from the 1980s. And others like Centipede, Donkey Kong, Punch Out, and quite a few others from the late 70s-early 80s.

When I was a kid, me & my parents went to a pizza place where they had an arcade, it was called Showbiz Pizza, they also had entertainment. There had bears that sing, I Loved that place, I played Skee Ball, PacMan, Donkey Kong & more games.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:44 pm

Two under appreciated gems for me are Ecco the Dolphin (sick music and glorious shimmering waves) and Altered Beast was a satisfying co-op bash the undead and monstrous fools the heck up kind of picnic (just checked and AB was 88 but near enough).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 2:12 am

Oh gosh, almost all of my favorite games are from the '90s, there's no way I could list them all.

NES, Macintosh, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, DOS/Windows, Game Boy/Color, N64, Playstation...great times, and those are just the consoles that I got to enjoy while they were still fresh. Dreamcast hit at the tail end of 1999, but I wouldn't get to experience one until years later.

Moronerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2017, 7:17 am

I couldn't afford a great PC in the 90s so Computer Gaming for the most part was out of reach. I did enjoy some games that were available to monochrome, old-ass computers like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Later on, when I did get a good pc, I enjoyed Darklands and Daggerfall.

Otherwise, probably my favorite JRPG from the 90s (That wasn't a final fantasy) was 7th Saga. It was basically a macguffin quest where you're searching for seven macguffins or runes or whatever to fulfill whatever your character desired. You got to pick between several different characters who all had their own motivations and story, and also team with any other character in the lineup, up to two. Random encounters included run-ins with the different characters you didn't choose.

Level design and map layout was sometimes tough to navigate, but all in all the idea behind the game was highly entertaining, and with memorable characters.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:19 pm

Moronerd wrote:
Later on, when I did get a good pc, I enjoyed Darklands and Daggerfall.

Otherwise, probably my favorite JRPG from the 90s (That wasn't a final fantasy) was 7th Saga.

Darklands was awesome, I never could get very far though.

Haven't gotten around to trying 7th Saga yet. When I do, there's a ROM patch that changes the difficulty to match the easier original Japanese version: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 9:58 pm

For PC, Master of Orion 2. It wasn't my first foray into 4X games but it's the one I probably sunk the most hours into. The thing that stood out to me from it compared to other games of its genre were its customizability of military units and tactical battles with multiple options.

For console, Zelda Ocarina of Time. I don't think there's anything that hasn't been said about this game to describe why it's often seen as one of the best.

Besides Zelda, Final Fantasy VI is also one of the standouts for the decade for me. Everything about it was breathtaking in scope, and at the time it was pretty shocking so many hours in to have a plot development where the villain essentially wins and changes the world.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 2:38 pm

FFVII, Soul Blade, Bushido Blade and Wild Arms on the PlayStation. I played the hell out of those two games when they first got released. Those were the games that got me deeply involved in gaming, actually.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 3:21 pm

Snood.

I thought Oregon Trail was a nineties game, but not so much. Otherwise I'd list that one too.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

21 May 2017, 12:53 am

conanthewarrior wrote:
There was a lot of games in the 90's I loved, I was born in 1990 and my first console was a mega drive, then a sony playstation...

...I loved Sonic the Hedgehog, that was one of the first games I really got into. Mortal Kombat 2 was also a very good game. ...

...Tomb raider as mentioned was great too, and I loved the St francis folly level as mentioned. I remember the remake, tomb raider anniversary, that was really good and a remake of the first tomb raider.

Hey fellow 1990 birther, I was also born in 1990, June.

I also loved sonic on sega (black) and terminator (the side scroller) also bubble bobble (I think it was, great times on multiplayer)...

...I enjoyed tomb raider too, my father made an awesome drawing of Lara holding a shotty and a bag of skulls (it was awesome!)

anyways just around the 2000's I enjoyed stuff like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on PS.

oh yeah I also liked pkemon on the gameboy color, loved it. (btw anyoen remember game boys camera!? ha that was fun)

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2017, 1:04 pm

Monkey Island 1-3
Loom
EarthBound
Pokemon Gold & Silver
LEGO Island
Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity
Mario Kart 64

Feeling_Unvalidated
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2017, 10:25 pm

Super Mario 3 was the best game ever. i know every secret and can beat every level including 6-5, in about 3 hours. i am no speed runner, but i get very obsessive compulsive about how each level is won. :D Super Mario world and Mario 64 and Mario kart 64 were right up there, and i love love love playing Mario party 8 the board games. It's like Mario meets monopoly. :D

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:13 pm

Feeling_Unvalidated wrote:
Super Mario 3 was the best game ever.

Definitely. SMB3, the original Legend of Zelda, and Thief 2 are my top three favorite games, but technically they aren't really 90s games. SMB3 didn't make it to the US until the very beginning of 1990, and T2 was released at the very beginning of 2000...but it would take a bit more stretching than that to get LoZ to qualify for that decade =)

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 10:21 pm

Panzer General (one of the best all round), Panzer General II, Allied General, Hyperspeed, Domark's Mig-29, F-15 Strike Fighter II (actually, I think that one came out in 1989, so not from the 1990's, but nevermind, close enough), Silent Service II, and Civilisation II, to list just a few.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 11:32 pm

Lately I've been getting into Blood, the classic DOS FPS. I used to hate it because of the bullet-spongey enemies, but now I think it's probably one of the best games on the Build engine.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

I have too many favorite games from the '90s to list but more notable titles would be PC Doom, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Star Fox for the SNES. I must also list Tempest 2000 for the Atari Jaguar.